View Poll Results: Should they trade Dunn?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is a cancer to this team

3 30.00%
  • No, he is blamed far too much for this teams dissapointing season

7 70.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should they trade Dunn?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Should they trade Dunn?

It is a simple question with a tough answer. We all know that room has to be made for Jay Bruce. We all have been frustrated with the team's offensive woes and most of us know that Dunn is not at fault for the most part.

Would you trade Dunn? Obviously he can't be traded until the deadline (because of his no-trade clause), but right now, he may be opening a few eyes.

If you do want Dunn traded, you have to ask yourself another question. Do you think you would get much in return?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Should they trade Dunn?

Cancer is a bit extreme to say about him...
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

It is extreme, but it is the sentiment of many Reds fans these days. They think he is too lazy and has a poor attitude and it spreads throughout the clubhouse. At times, I feel he gets a bit nonchalant in his approach, but just yesterday he even sprinted to 1B on a ground out. That is the first time I can remember seeing him do that, ever.

Some people also think that his contract asks for a much more productive player. The dude is an OPS machine and they want more. I think a lot of the problem still exists in how overvalued the HR is. Where Dunn is placed in the batting order; his walks are seen as a waste of time. With Bako (who is surprisingly good these days), the pitcher, and Patterson protecting him, his walks end up not helping this team at all. So people naturally think he is not producing unless he is hitting a HR. Maybe if Baker put him in the 2nd spot things would be different?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes they should trade him but I do not think he is a cancer. Dunn will not bring a lot in return since he is a free agent after this year and will command a high price to retain him. I can see Baltimore and Detroit being interested.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's hilarious, Dunn has started swinging good as of late, playing better D and boy have the tides have turned in Reds nation (or at least started to.) The fickle fans annoy the hell out of me.

If the Reds are hoping to compete, they would be beyond dumb to trade Dunn for too many reasons to count. The people who want to hate Adam Dunn will always find reason to do so, several of them are listed in this thread; thankfully the front office doesn't always listen to the fan base though.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Reds aren't going to compete so that's why I wrote what I did.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If they had a good deal on the table for Dunn, there's no reason not to take it. But I'm sure there really hasn't been one.
    Ted

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Seriously, lets get into the reasons why he should be kept or traded.

Pros (reasons to keep him):

100 RBIs a season
    100 runs a season
    100 walks a season
    40 HRs a season
    improving team leadership skills
    improving defense (although it is still not a strong suit)
    still young enough to argue that he hasn't reached his full ceiling

cons (reasons to trade him)

he isn't being used in the right context
    defense is still a liability (although improved)
    too many strikeouts

To me, those cons are either canceled out by his production in other areas, or they can be fixed. Dusty will eventually have to learn where to place him in the order. I am positive Dunn will go into another slump or two this season. The Dunn haters will be ready to deal him while others are immediate to defend him. To be honest, I am a bit on the fence with it all as I have been highly discouraged this season with the offense and I expect a lot out of the guys who make the most money. Yet I have to appreciate what Dunn has given this season.

The frustrating part about the fickle fan (could be me on this one) is that they do not see his production for what it is. They see him as a guy who has heated up only because he has started to hit the long ball again. I think Dusty Baker is the biggest example of one who does not see Dunn as the productive member of this team as he should. If he did, he would use him in a much better role.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Seriously, lets get into the reasons why he should be kept or traded.

Pros (reasons to keep him):

100 RBIs a season
    100 runs a season
    100 walks a season
    40 HRs a season
    improving team leadership skills
    improving defense (although it is still not a strong suit)
    still young enough to argue that he hasn't reached his full ceiling

cons (reasons to trade him)

he isn't being used in the right context
    defense is still a liability (although improved)
    too many strikeouts

To me, those cons are either canceled out by his production in other areas, or they can be fixed. Dusty will eventually have to learn where to place him in the order. I am positive Dunn will go into another slump or two this season. The Dunn haters will be ready to deal him while others are immediate to defend him. To be honest, I am a bit on the fence with it all as I have been highly discouraged this season with the offense and I expect a lot out of the guys who make the most money. Yet I have to appreciate what Dunn has given this season.

The frustrating part about the fickle fan (could be me on this one) is that they do not see his production for what it is. They see him as a guy who has heated up only because he has started to hit the long ball again. I think Dusty Baker is the biggest example of one who does not see Dunn as the productive member of this team as he should. If he did, he would use him in a much better role.

Don't know what he's like in his career but he has a very low average with runners on and isn't hitting well with two strikes on him.
    Ted

I wouldn't trade him right now. We don't have anyone to really replace him, nor would we get anything worth noting. Griffey is the one that really needs to go, he has a suitor in Seattle and is the one really blocking Bruce's path.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jay Bruce can't replace him? Reds aren't going to get much in return anyway.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Why have Jay Bruce replace him when Griffey is guaranteed to be gone in 2009? We could have Dunn and Bruce in 2009 and I would be cool with that.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Don't know what he's like in his career but he has a very low average with runners on and isn't hitting well with two strikes on him.

He has a very low average no matter what situation. To me, that is too many people looking at batting average and not OBP. He substitutes hits for walks. Which again means we have a lesser use of him when he isn't getting knocked in by players hitting behind him. And the knowledge of having bad sticks behind him means he gets very few pitches to hit.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Why have Jay Bruce replace him when Griffey is guaranteed to be gone in 2009? We could have Dunn and Bruce in 2009 and I would be cool with that.
    Griffey and Dunn are gone after this season so what's the difference? Bruce is very capable of replacing Dunn.

He has a very low average no matter what situation. To me, that is too many people looking at batting average and not OBP. He substitutes hits for walks.
    BA with RISP is very important. Hits are more valuable than walks in that situation.

AAA ERA

Should they? Yes, if they want to get away from the (former) AL style of waiting for the three-run homer.

Will they? No. I honestly doubt it. But with Jocketty, all bets are off.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast