View Poll Results: Should they trade Dunn?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is a cancer to this team

3 30.00%
  • No, he is blamed far too much for this teams dissapointing season

7 70.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should they trade Dunn?

MLB ERA

Re: Should they trade Dunn?

Unless someone is offering a "can't turn down" type trade I wouldnt trade Dunn. Bruce can only replace Dunn or Griffey not both and IMO Bruce should be in RF right now (or arguably CF but we know Dusty wont do that to his boy Mr. Automatic Out). Not a smack on Griffey, he is one of the all time greats but father time has come for him.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Of course Bruce can't replace both which is why we are only talking about Dunn leaving. If Dunn is traded, Bruce, Freel and Griffey would make the OF. If Griffey is traded later, the Reds can surely pick up an OFer in one of these two trades. I cannot see anyone giving the "offer you can't refuse deal" for Dunn. Reds will be forced to make a decision. They either trade him for something good not great, keep him all year and get nothing in return or pay him a lot of money to stay.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Of course Bruce can't replace both which is why we are only talking about Dunn leaving. If Dunn is traded, Bruce, Freel and Griffey would make the OF. If Griffey is traded later, the Reds can surely pick up an OFer in one of these two trades. I cannot see anyone giving the "offer you can't refuse deal" for Dunn. Reds will be forced to make a decision. They either trade him for something good not great, keep him all year and get nothing in return or pay him a lot of money to stay.
    Dunn SHOULD still qualify for draft picks at the end. The Reds have of late been able to find quality players in the draft in those areas. There are choices to be made but at this point you dont have enough at AAA to make Dunn expendable considering that Freel is a Crash Test Dummy, Patterson is a dummy, Father Time kicked Griffey's arse during the offseason, and theres not much long term potential at AAA besides Bruce. Barring you figuring out something with the Dodgers for Kemp (which would NEVER EVER EVER happen) or a similar type blockbuster involving gutting either the current MLB rotation and/or the farm.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He would get a draft pick when signed by another team but that's it. Do you want the Reds to keep Dunn all year even though they aren't competing just to get a draft pick? Bruce is going to have to come up sometime and where he plays doesn't matter. He can play LF if Dunn is traded or Griffey can move to LF and Bruce to RF or Bruce to CF and Freel to LF. If Griffey is traded and in all likelihood it will be to Seattle, Jeremy Reed will most likely be involved in that deal giving another OFer. Point is Dunn is not likely to be re-signed by the Reds so they might as well get something for him while they can. Same goes for Griffey and Hatteberg. Reds aren't going anywhere this season.

AAA ERA

torn on this one.. certainly calling him a cancer is unjust.

room needs to be made for Bruce.. i don't think there is any doubt about it... being a big fan of BA means i have always been against Dunn... i have learned to accept him as he is.. he comands top dollar but has low trade value.. which makes him a good candidate to leave..

i will go back to what I said on another board.. i think the team needs to make a youth movement.. with the young talent it has.. they can still win games even with the young guys.. granted they won the game.. but on Saturday.. Dunn was not able to get a bunt down.. because lets face it.. he isn't a bunter.. but if that had been a young guy up in the 7 hole.. the situation.. would have been a lot different.. sure Dunn hit the bomb the game was over all is happy.. but in the game of what if's.. say he had struck out there.. it could have ment the game..

i have also always said that Dunn was a poor fit because he even though he could get on base.. there was no one on the team who could drive him in.. well times have changed.. so now I feel Dunn fits better then he used to.

so really at this point it comes down to this.. I am going to be happy either way... if he is moved.. that means Bruce is up here.. we aren't going to be paying tons of money(which for a small market team could be used in better ways) for a guy who is lucky to hit .230... his guranteed 40 HR's and 100 RBI will be missed.. but I want to see more guys who can help play little ball on the team then guys who can't... because lets face it.. the general population loves the Long ball.. but me.. I love winning.. lets face it would you rather see the reds win a game 1-0 on the strength of an inning where Freel gets a walk, steals 2nd, is sacrificed to 3rd, and then Sac Fly to score.. or Lose 9-8 in a HR fest.. Dunn is exactly the type of player you want on a team that is designed to hit a huge number of HR's.. but I want to see a Team that just wins games... How many Reds players hit 40 HR's on that 1990 team.. that team wasn't hitting a lot of HR's.. but damn it they just flat won games.. Solid line up.. Solid Rotation.. Nasty Bulpen.. the game has changed.. but not enough for me to believe that a good line Up, Great Rotation, and Good Bullpen couldn't win games right now.

I don't care if you trade Dunn or Jr.. just trade someone

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If you're going to trade him, now's the time. He's finally starting to turn it around offensively and has made some nice catches defensively. I say shop him to an AL team and see what you can get for him.
    rf28

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12