Thread: Mike Leake named 5th starter; Chapman to Triple-A

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Mike Leake named 5th starter; Chapman to Triple-A

Reds named Mike Leake the #5 starter; send Harold Chapman to Triple-A.

I have never heard of Mike Leake. He any good?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Mike Leake named 5th starter; Chapman to Triple-A

Whoa, skipping the entire minor leagues save for last year's Arizona Fall League? He's good; he was the two-time Pac-10 pitcher of the year, but who knew he would be up before Strasburg?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Any relation to Kelly?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

DK, Mike Leake was the Reds number one selection in the draft last year.

I am not saying Leake will falter this season, but I do think the Reds made the wrong choice as an organization, whether he pitches great or not. First off, this is a risk. Pitchers going straight to the majors usually isn't the best option so you would hope this is more Catfish Hunter than Darren Dreifort. To say that he is more ready than Travis Wood or other options, who have had years of instruction and training in the Reds system, preparing them for a 5 day rotation after really only two appearances in a Reds uni (the fall league and spring training) isn't the best thing I would imagine for morale of those who lost the spot to him.

Don't get me wrong, I do think there is potential for the Reds to be absolutely correct on this one... I just don't know if you want to gamble with your first round draft pick like that. Wouldn't it really had been so bad to given the position to Lehr or someone like that for two months and then call up Leake, just to be safe?

Congrats to Leake though, he had a great spring and showed a lot of poise.

MLB ERA

Two bad moves. Even Mark Prior put in time in AA.

MLB ERA

I'm more worried about Duhhhsty riding Leake and the rest in hopes to put out the fire under his seat like he did Prior and Wood. I didnt get to see much of ST so any opinions I would have would be hearsay. They must feel he's ready and that the only way he'll learn what he needs is by facing MLB hitters not AAA/AAAA guys he would face.

Im more irked at the thought this team kept Laynce Nix and is getting rid of Balentien! Balentien still has potential Nix is what he is. If youre not going to put forth the $ to upgrade LF then you should give Balentien a chance to see if he's Phillips part duex or if he's just another guy.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes, but hopefully Balentien will slip through waivers. I think Nix would have a greater chance at being claimed even if the upside isn't as high, he is more polished than Balentien is right now .

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Balentein and Miles were DFAd today.

On Leake; I think it wasn't their best decision either. Wood had just as good a spring and, like mentioned above, he has been in the system for a while and has been groomed for the big leagues. The promising thing about Leake, for me, is that many were saying he was the best pitcher as far as work ethic and poise goes than anyone else this spring. They also said that nobody had more command of his performance than him. I am definitely excited to see this guy pitch, but am afraid of it being too soon.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I just don't see what the harm is in letting someone like a Lehr take the 5th slot, knowing that he is keeping it warm while Leake is groomed. A month at AA and a month at AAA could prevent some setbacks that might not happen right now... but maybe some months down the road.

AAA ERA

How long are you guys thinking Chapman will be in the minors? I have heard alot of good about this kid, just wanting some answers on his timetable to the major's.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Late May if he dominates. If he is as good as people think he will be, the Reds would be wise to keep him down until then so he doesn't get super two status and elect for free agency earlier than if the Reds waited to call him up.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think super two is a major reason why he will stay down until that timetable is presented. Exactly when is that though? If they do that, they get to keep him another year before he hits free agency (like mission said).

I like that he is getting a shot at minor league ball first as well. Let's see if this guy struggles without the minor back issue like he had a few outings ago. I honestly think that he will be with the big club come super two expiration.

Also, I hope the rotation keeps him blocked. They are some pretty good arms and if Chapman comes up, that means one of them is struggling or injured. This is the first time in a very long time where I am intrigued about the entire rotation 1 through 5.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I believe it is like the last week of May, around the 25th or so, but I could be off.