Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger out for at least weeks... maybe longer

AAA ERA

Re: Keppinger out for at least weeks... maybe longer

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Janish got the call. Lets hope he can show us that slick defense at least. Our offense just took a plunge though. There is no way around it.

My Fantasy team is hurting from this as well. UGH!
    yeah.. i like the move as i think you need a natural SS playing everyday.. it is too important of a spot.. its just horrible that now not only are we getting another #8 hitter.. we lose the best hitter on the team..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I hate being so pessimistic even after 2 straight wins, but this may be the final straw for a tired season. Time to concentrate on the draft and trade deadline?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hairston came up as a SS, but I don't know if I want to see him there. Personally, I'd give him a trial, if he can play average D, I'd start him for the bat and let Janish come in late innings as a defensive replacement.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, I think I go with Hairston as well. He lead all of the minor leagues in hitting before he was called up. Maybe he has something going?

Dusty on the loss of Keppi:

"Someone has to step up. That's what good teams do. You step up until your big guys get back. He's been our best hitter, our most productive hitter and played a heck of a shortstop, that's why you want depth on your team and depth in your organization."

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I hate being so pessimistic even after 2 straight wins, but this may be the final straw for a tired season. Time to concentrate on the draft and trade deadline?
    its hard to not be pessimistic.. with the last 7 years.. its still early.. this team can win games.. if Harang can just get about 4 runs a game.. Volquez learns to go deeper.. Arroyo has more decent starts vs Horrible Starts.. that leaves Cueto who is obviously feeling the pressure, but if he gets the monkey of his back and learn he doesn't have to be perfect everytime out.. he will help win some games.. I really feel that better Lineup management could have gotten this team at least 3 or 4 Wins..

its funny i am usually the most pessimistic reds fan.. so its odd for me..but

stat of the day.. the Reds are 7-3 in 1 Run games.. IMO it really comes down to the guys need to start clicking together.. instead of just one or two guys doing all the hitting... the loss of Kep will certainly crush a lot of the important hits.. his RISP BA alone is enough to be missed.. but it really comes down to how long it will take the rest of the bats to fully wake up.. and if they can do it more together rather than seperate spurts by different guys..

If and When the Reds are double digits out of 1st place and double digits below .500 i think then i would be ready to start thinking about next year.. but with how long the season has left.. there is still plenty of time to pull out of the hole

AAA ERA

Hariston's career at SS isn't all that much better than Freel's outside of actually playing at the MLB level 10 games

Jerry Hairston Statistics - The Baseball Cube

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

I say we call up Bruce, stick him at SS and let him hit leadoff.....

ehh, just thought I would throw something against the wall.

MLB ERA

Well, he wasn't exactly missed tonight, was he?

And I like him as a player a lot, and have since last year. But Janish plays a much better SS and I think will hit a little better than expected.

That doesn't mean I don't want Keppinger back and starting soon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Great update on Kepp. If we can get him back and get some momentum going, the lineup is going to be flat out devasting for an opposing pitcher.

KEPPINGER UPDATE: Jeff Keppinger has been hitting in the cage for almost week. He's walking without a limp.

Not bad for a guy who suffered a broken knee cap two weeks ago.

"It's a lot better," Keppinger said, "better than I thought it would be. I don't feel any pain, just some discomfort."

Keppinger was hoping to get the OK to begin running Monday.
    The Enquirer - Reds notebook

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Oh man! This could be amazing real quick. I never expected to see this posted so soon. I can't even imagine this lineup with him coming back.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Man, I like toying with lineups. But just stack these guys however you'd like. It all turns out really good if you ask me. Outside of not having a leadoff hitter really.

Keppinger
    Bruce
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Votto
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Bako

MLB ERA

I think we need to give that David Ross guy that many Reds fans seem to dislike a chance to start more games. Frankly I think he's a better quality hitter than Bako, despite Bako's hot start to the season.

Bako does seem to block pitches better, but Ross typically throws out runners better. And I think they call games about equally as well.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Maybe you are right. He did show a hot bat tonight. The big complaint on him is that he cannot catch a throw from an outfielder. That isn't me being picky because it has cost this team many runs scored against them.

But yeah, he is making a name for himself right now. Ride the hot hand for sure. Then again, Bako finally started to hit again the night before last as well.

As far as the future goes at the catcher position; I don't want either of them to be our starter next season. I think this team has to concentrate at catcher and CF and the bullpen this offseason.

AAA ERA

hitting hasn't really been a huge problem for Ross.. right now the catcher spot is a #8 hitter.. I care more about how they handle the pitcher more than the bat.. i honestly keep them in a platoon situation.. Ross vs LHP and Bako vs RHP.

yeah I would love that lineup as well... but Baker says Jr is 3 and Phillips is 4.. so don't expect that to change at all.. but no doubt i would love to see Kep in that leadoff spot.. with Harriston and Freel getting their chances when they are in the lineup.

this team is putting it together.. Kep is another guy who can hit and get on base.. and having guys on base will only help a guy like Bruce to produce more runs

MLB ERA

Ross doesn't give up many runs at all on throws from outfielders compred to his game-calling, (so far) quality hitting and generally solid defense. But I do agree we need to find a starter if the price is reasonable. I'd then make Ross the back-up next year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast