Thread: Notes: Allen rattles the cage

MLB ERA

Notes: Allen rattles the cage

Notes: Allen rattles the cage
    Chief operating officer calls Reds' performance 'unacceptable'

By Owen Perkins / Special to MLB.com

DENVER -- The temperatures were approaching 90 degrees in Cincinnati on Sunday, but with Reds chief operating officer John Allen spending the day in Denver, the heat was on in Colorado. Allen met with manager Dave Miley, conveying the message that the path the Reds are on "isn't acceptable."
    With the club 13 games under .500 and having lost four games in row to last place teams, upper management didn't want to wait another day to get its point across.

"I can't or will not pinpoint any one person or any one phase of the game," Allen said before Sunday's contest with the Rockies. "There's more than one phase that just isn't going well. I want to convey the message and make sure it's understood that [this] isn't acceptable.

"This team is better than what we've seen thus far," Allen continued. "I think we all expect a little more. I don't want to put pressure on specific games. It's a long season. We all know it's a marathon. But this is a pretty important series. The focus just hasn't been there. Again, I'm not pinpointing individuals, it's not my role to do that. But my role is certainly representing ownership and senior management needs to make sure they understand. They're all professionals, we know that. But I just to reinforce that the performance is not what any of us want."

Allen remained vague about any personnel who could be a target of concern, repeating six times in five minutes, without prompting, that he would not pinpoint individuals or name any names, but he emphasized that he was in Denver on behalf of principal owner and CEO Carl Lindner and that the only person he had met with was Miley.

"My role is to reinforce what needs to be done," Allen said, stressing that he was not in town to second-guess baserunning, situational hitting, or pitching, but nevertheless calling into question the team's overall focus and effectiveness.

"Certainly the status quo end result isn't acceptable," Allen said. "We have very professional players in this locker room, and I know this has been a lot of misery for them, trying to understand why."

If it was a question of talking baseball, going over the day-to-day nuts and bolts of the ballclub or challenging game decisions, general manager Dan O'Brien might have made a more suitable messenger. But Allen's appearance had the effect of raising the stakes significantly.

"It's just a notch up the food chain, so to speak," Allen said, explaining his presence instead of O'Brien's. "I think everybody knows I represent Mr. Lindner and ownership. I think it's important that they understand also that it's all the way to the top that we're concerned about this situation. When I say top to bottom, I mean top to bottom, including Mr. Lindner, myself, the other owners, we're certainly very concerned. None of us thought this is where we'd be. We've got to fix it."

With 55 games down and 107 remaining, Allen stressed that the situation is salvageable, but that "it's got to change quickly," expressing hope that as players return from the DL in the near future, perhaps they could give the club "a shot in the arm."

In the absence of an immediate boost from within the Reds clubhouse, it was evident that Allen was prepared to find another vehicle for change. He planned to speak with the coaches during the team's three-hour flight home to Cincinnati after Sunday's game.

"I'm not coming here carrying a big stick," Allen said, though it was hard to escape the feeling that an axe had been raised and could fall at any time if the status quo did not improve.

"We're not sitting there twiddling our thumbs saying 'oh me, oh my, what are we going to do?'" Allen concluded. "We do care. We're involved. It's not getting done right now."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

"We're not sitting there twiddling our thumbs saying 'oh me, oh my, what are we going to do?'" Allen concluded. "We do care. We're involved. It's not getting done right now."

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into this. The above sums it up quite well. John Allen is just trying to save face for ownership and he's a little worried about the team's play effecting ticket sales.

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't count on nothing happening. There have been a lot of rumblings lately. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Miley and/or O'Brien fired as early as tomorrow. Just stay tuned.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I wouldn't count on nothing happening. There have been a lot of rumblings lately. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Miley and/or O'Brien fired as early as tomorrow. Just stay tuned.
    Did Hal say this? I hope its true.

MLB ERA
    No he didn't. I just contacted Hal to see if he had heard about anything happening. I will post any possible information he might have, although it might not be until tomorrow, since he is probably just getting home from Colorado now.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    My first thought when I heard of this story was this:
    Why did Allen come out in the middle of the trip? And why Allen? Where the hell is O'Brien?

The draft is coming up but this is extremely odd.

MLB ERA
    I don't get why he would come to "motivate" the team for the LAST game of the trip. Why wouldn't he just wait for the team home and then talk.

Very odd that O'Brien wouldn't talk to the Manager/coaches too. Maybe Allen went out there to discuss O'Brien's firing with him so he didn't have to wait to talk about EVERYTHING tomorrow(Monday).

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Maybe Allen went out there to discuss O'Brien's firing with him so he didn't have to wait to talk about EVERYTHING tomorrow(Monday).
    You really think they'd fire the GM in the midst of the draft? C'mon now. That would throw that whole process into disarray.

I want O'Brien fired more than any other Reds employee but it won't happen during the draft nor do I think it would be in the Reds' best interests to make it happen now.

MLB ERA
    I said that it may have been the case. I've been stating for the last several days that I think any firings will happen at the end of this coming weekend or early next week. If they don't happen then, nothing may happen until the All-Star Break.