Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Coaches meet with Wagner

Coaches meet with Wagner
    Gesture toward LaRue Friday night not well received

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

DENVER - Ryan Wagner was called into Reds manager Dave Miley's office after Friday's 12-4 loss to the Colorado Rockies.

Miley, pitching coach Don Gullett and bullpen coach Tom Hume weren't upset with Wagner because he gave up six runs in two-thirds of an inning.

They talked to Wagner about showing up teammate Jason LaRue on the field.

After LaRue held the ball rather than throw to first and complete a double play, Wagner twice gave LaRue the "what were you thinking?" gesture with his hands.

LaRue didn't want to talk about the incident.

"That's not something the press needs to know about," he said.

Miley chose not to talk about the incident either.

Wagner was obviously very frustrated with his performance. Of the six hits he gave up, four were infield hits and two were bloop singles.

"I don't know what to say," Wagner said. "I did what I do - got groundballs - I just didn't get a lot of outs."

Wagner's ERA went from 3.54 to 5.34 with the outing.
    Click here for the rest

I haven't gotten to see any games recently, so what exactly happened? Was it a bunt and LaRue didn't throw him out or what?

He might be "over-used", but I don't think he's closer material. Just not very dominant. He gives me the impression that he's full of himself.

Wagner has always suggested to me that he is some-what selfish.

MLB ERA
    Why wouldnt he be? Former #1 pick, up in the majors after less than year (although I LOATHED that decision from the start), spoken of as the next great closer in the Reds pen, etc. Ive seen people be full of themselves with less accolades.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    i love wagner. i just think he like everyone else prob is frustrated by losing. i mean you lose concentration out there once you lose i think. I just think the team needs to get their mind cleared. lol maybe yoga will help or voodoo doll of miley i dont care what ever floats their boats down the ohio river. They just need to focus on playing the game. Wagner will be our future closer i believe or atleast a pretty good set-up man to my next choice Valentine. only time will tell. i'm just waiting for the headline" Shake up in cincinnati. Miley Fired. New coach expected to be announced by tonights game." we all have dreams why not start big.

Hell, I'd react the same way as Wagner did. LaRue shoulda made that throw.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I don't find Wagner full of himself. His stuff isn't as good this year as it was in the past though, which is rather odd.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

i just think this team is a horror show right now. This incident doesn't really say too much about wagner to me, just that players are all on edge, and starting to unravel.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts exactly Wally. I think the level of tension and frustration is just at an all time high. I wouldnt be surprised to hear of some scuffles between the players. That clubhous can't be a fun place now.

i would imagine that larue and wagner setled this somehow. I felt bad for him watching that inning, his stuff was good enough to get outs, and it just didn't happen. I bet Ryan took him to dinner or something and that's that.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford