Thread: Too early to discuss deal?

MLB ERA

Too early to discuss deal?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3384586

According to Walt Jocketty, it's premature to discuss dealing Ken Griffey Jr. While Jocketty did not deny the possibility of a deal down the road, he did state that he had not yet had any trade discussions, and did not believe that it was late enough in the season to deal such a potentially valuable player.

I completely agree with Jocketty here. What Reds fans hopefully realize, is that now is not the right time to make a deal, especially for someone like Griffey. It seems to me that if the Reds hold on to him, he can either help them turn it around and maybe contend this season, or if not, he can be trade bait at the trade deadline. If you hold on to him, his trade value is more likely to go up(if he improves, added to the fact that teams may be more desperate to add offense at the deadline) than to decrease, especially because he showed last year he still has plenty of talent. Anyone else agree?

C you there
    MLB ERA

Re: Too early to discuss deal?

They better not Deal Griffey

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I agree for sure, but it is a shame that this can only mean that we are going to have to continue to watch this team fall apart night after night. I don't necessarily think that it is Griffey who makes our team bad, because he does bring skill to the table. But for some reason, this team does not play well together and Griffey could be a part of that reason.

A new culture has to come forward and I think Griffey and Dunn are definitely not an integral part of what this team needs to become.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't think its too early to discuss deals about anyone, especially considering how bad this team is.
    rf28