Thread: 10 game recap (6-4)

Reds 10 game recap (6-4)

I thought I might start posting recaps after every ten games in the season where we can discuss how things are going? Citing top performers and such during that stretch? If it works it works, if not then oh well...

Alright, good start for the Reds me thinks. We played some of the top teams in the league and came out with a winning record. Offensively we started out a bit anemic, but the production has picked it up the past couple games. The pitching has been AWESOME. We knew the Dominican duo would be good, but not this good. Aside from Fogg's one bad outing, the staff has looked pretty solid as a unit.

OFFENSIVE MVP: JEFF KEPPINGER
    He has picked up right where he has left off at the end of last season. Pop included.

PITCHING MVP: JOHNNY CUETO
    Straight disgusting. Need I say more? I think not.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: COREY PATTERSON
    I know most people hated the move of bringing him in, but he has been solid without a doubt. Needs to take more pitches in the lead off spot, but superb defense and clutch hitting has earned him this honor.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: ADAM DUNN/EDWIN ENCARNACION
    Edwin had a good game today and a nice walk off homer, but overall has looked over matched. Dunn has not been producing the way we have grown to know. Changes in him small ball game are commendable, but we are going to need more than that from the Big Donkey. The offensive success depends heavily on these two, and they need to step it up.

Thoughts?

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: 10 game recap (6-4)

I think EdE and Dunn have been pretty productive if you ask me. They both lead the league in walks. Their average is putrid, but it will get better. Thing is, most of the time they are in the position to drive in runs and they aren't doing that as much as we would like. So maybe you are right on that part.

To add to your stuff:

BIGGEST PROBLEMS:
    Team bunting, defense, and quality ABs.

BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER:
    Corey Patterson

I would also slide Paul Bako under the biggest surprise slot. He has been much better than anticipated. Good thread man!

The problem is not them getting on bas really, but hitting with RISP. I think Dunn only has one hit all year with RISP.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep, and that doesn't only go for those two guys either. The whole team has had a problem with leaving runners on base. We have done decent these last few games though.

MLB ERA

Nice thread idea!

OFFENSIVE MVP: Jeff Keppinger

Pretty much what doppel said. The most consistent hitter thus far.

PITCHING MVP: Johnny Cueto

Same verse as doppel yet again.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Paul Bako

I'm not surprised by his game-calling, but his offense has been a pleasant surprise so far. He will probably slump eventually, but if he can have even decent offense with his game-calling skills, I'll take him as one of the catchers when Ross returns without hesitation.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Bronson Arroyo

I was hoping for a stronger start from Bronson. He wasn't awful in his first start, and he managed to stay in the game against the Phillies for a while, but he can be better than he has for sure. At least he had some K's in his last outing, but he's giving up too many hits. Hopefully he can harness that breaking ball here soon. Perhaps he'll benefit from having Ross back since he's worked with him more than anyone.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Arroyo seems to be all or nothing usually. I detailed his streaks last year and I seriously hope he can turn it up here, because if we're able to throw out 4 out of 5 headaches over 5 nights, this team could build the momentum it needs to really become that surprise team we are all hoping for.

Dunn has made no adjustments to his hitting technique since he came into the league and the pitchers have. It appears to me that he puts in little work off the field to look at his at-bats to see what he is doing wrong, and see what the next pitcher he will face will do. Dunn does not seem like the type who would come to the park at 9am to break down film.

Arroyo relies to much on his junk. He basically has only 2 pitches, 88 mph fastball that is straight, and a curve ball that he throws and 2 speeds, slow and slower. When he starts the curve ball in the strike-zone and he breaks out of the strike zone, he is affective. When the curve ball breaks into the strike zone, anybody can hit him...hard. I feel he needs a third pitch. Either a slider or a circle change-up that would complement his fastball more than the curve.
    Check out the new pic... This kid is the 1st pick in the 2022 baseball amateur draft.
    His 1st bobblehead night will be in Dayton 2023!!
    Mark it Down!!!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Great start to the season Reds' fans!! It is going to be a fun and interesting year in the NL Central!!!