Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patterson

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Patterson

Could he be yet another mid to late twenties outfielder who has had a lot of promise in the past finally figure it out in Cincy? He wouldn't be the first to do it and while I doubt we will see the plate discipline of a Josh Hamilton or the raw power of a Jose Guillen, Patterson obviously has his own skill set that would be quite valuable if he has finally 'figured it out.' It is way too soon to make a definitive call, especially since he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with his hitting..... but, this is more power than I expected to see from him this quickly. Today after all was a game where early on, big sluggers were hitting them hard and high but the carry wasn't there.

Thoughts?

Re: Patterson

I'm not very sold on him yet. I just don't like his swing, he always looks like he is flying open and swinging with one hand. I'll be paying closer attention to him though, he definitely has all the potential and tools with which we can only hopes he puts them together.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

He's not a great player, but he has some definite tools, and I think ultimately the Reds made the right move by starting him in CF and giving Bruce some more time in AAA.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    He's not a great player, but he has some definite tools, and I think ultimately the Reds made the right move by starting him in CF and giving Bruce some more time in AAA.
    I agree that it was the right move. It wouldn't have been fair to ask Bruce to adjust to major league pitching and at the same time ask him to adjust from a middle of the lineup hitter to a leadoff hitter. That is the exact same thing that the Cubs did to a younger Patterson. He came through the minors as a 3 hitter with speed, and when he was called up, he was the fastest on the team so they put him at leadoff. That obviously didn't work out so well for Patterson or the Cubs.

I will reserve total judgement on Patterson for now. I did expect to see him hit for some power (18-20 hr) and add 25-30 sb's with a LOW average. I like the fact that the last couple of games I watched Patterson is taking a couple of pitches and getting deeper in the count whereas on opening day he was swinging at the first pitch nearly every time up.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I haven't exactly hated having him on the team because the entire offense just seems out of sinc right now. So Patterson's 2 HRs are a bit of a bright spot in what looks to be our weakness so far this season. No doubt things will pick up for the team offense, and when it does pick up, Patterson may be an afterthought.

But, I don't hate him yet and I would really like to see him be a pleasant surprise this year. Then the Griffey/Dunn trade talks would be real huge.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bipster View Post
    I agree that it was the right move. It wouldn't have been fair to ask Bruce to adjust to major league pitching and at the same time ask him to adjust from a middle of the lineup hitter to a leadoff hitter. That is the exact same thing that the Cubs did to a younger Patterson. He came through the minors as a 3 hitter with speed, and when he was called up, he was the fastest on the team so they put him at leadoff. That obviously didn't work out so well for Patterson or the Cubs.
    That's not true, it was BAKER not the Cubs who decided Corey should be a lead off hitter. Patterson first came up with the Cubs in 2000. It wasn't till August of 04' that Baker thought he should lead off. In 2003 when Sosa was out. Patterson in the 3 hole was having a break out year. Then he tore his ACL running down to 1st.

But I agree, you shouldn't make a middle of the order guy adjust to being a lead off hitter at the MLB level. I haven't seen any Reds games this year, is Baker trying Patterson at lead off again? Hopefully not, Patterson needs to hit 3-6. Anywhere else he won't succeed.

But Baker ruins arms, and mismanages players. All by himself he destroyed Corey Patterson and LaTroy Hawkins. Patterson should have never led off, and Hawkins should have NEVER EVER been the closer. He tried starting and closing for the Twins and failed. He was an all-star setup guy. In 04' as a setup reliever for the Cubs, his ERA was in the 1's. Then part of 04' and all of 05' Baker tried to make him close. It just didn't work and it messed him up.

Not to mention Baker will also start a vet over any young player. The only thing that's good about Bruce going down to AAA is Baker can't touch him. But just pray to god Baker doesn't get Neifi Perez. Doesn't matter how old he is, he'll start.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Thanks for the insight DMB. Patterson is leading off for us by the way. The fact of the matter is, we just don't have anyone else who could do it. I could never imagine him being a 3-5 hitter in this lineup. And I am sure that is what Baker thought of him when he was in Chicago as well.

He is our best option at leadoff unless you think Freel is better (and he isn't). Bruce isn't a leadoff hitter and that is why he is in Louisville. I am just happy to see Patterson playing a bit better than I had expected.

AAA ERA

Patterson will never be a good leadoff hitter.. its jsut a completely different mentality.. I think he is putting up the kind of numbers i expected.. he is the type of guy to have who can hit .260 and be a 30/30 hitter.. someone who in this lineup i would want late middle of the lineup.. not leadoff.. but unfortunately unless you count a platoon wiht Hopper and Freel.. this lineup doesn't have such a guy

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Great night from Patterson last night. Very clutch last night. Now, I don't like his numbers so far this season, but he seems to be one of our best producers so far this season. Keep it up.

MLB ERA

I like him.

A bit of a free-swinger at times, no doubt, but he's a smart hitter and I see him continuing his "clutch tendencies" as well.

Also plays very good defense in CF. Definitely good as a placeholder until Bruce is ready, and depending on what happens with Dunn, he might eventually take over another OF spot.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Man. His swing is so goofy, but somehow the ball just flies off his bat. Its magical.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    I like him.

A bit of a free-swinger at times, no doubt, but he's a smart hitter and I see him continuing his "clutch tendencies" as well.

Also plays very good defense in CF. Definitely good as a placeholder until Bruce is ready, and depending on what happens with Dunn, he might eventually take over another OF spot.
    thats the first time I have ever heard smart and patterson in the same sentence. (including his days in baltimore).

He does play good defense, but the bat will never be there until he stops thinking of himself as a #3 type hitter and uses his legs to get on base instead of trying to be a slugger. his swing is still too long from what I see to be any kind of consistent hitter.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post

But Baker ruins arms, and mismanages players. All by himself he destroyed Corey Patterson and LaTroy Hawkins. Patterson should have never led off, and Hawkins should have NEVER EVER been the closer. He tried starting and closing for the Twins and failed. He was an all-star setup guy. In 04' as a setup reliever for the Cubs, his ERA was in the 1's. Then part of 04' and all of 05' Baker tried to make him close. It just didn't work and it messed him up.
    Latroy screwed himself over all by himself thank you very much. He HAD to close in 2004 and 2005 since there were no other options. Joe Bo got himself hurt. Latroy was their backup plan. His CONTRACT had stipulations on games finished. he got bonus money for that.

as for baker ruining patterson, hogwash. Patterson was so damned stubborn that he wouldnt take coaching. He didnt take coaching when BAYLOR was the manager. Which is why Baylor called him one of the dumber players around.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    thats the first time I have ever heard smart and patterson in the same sentence. (including his days in baltimore).

He does play good defense, but the bat will never be there until he stops thinking of himself as a #3 type hitter and uses his legs to get on base instead of trying to be a slugger. his swing is still too long from what I see to be any kind of consistent hitter.
    the thing is that in interviews he claims that he is trying to just get on base

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    the thing is that in interviews he claims that he is trying to just get on base
    maybe he finally learned after so many failures. because when he was in chicago he said he was a number three hitter and would swing like it.

howd you guys pick him up? was he nontendered from baltimore making him a FA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast