Thread: The 'Fogg' has set in

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

The 'Fogg' has set in

During the rain delay I'm thinking that for some reason, Fogg is going to either do one of two things: be lights out or serve 'em up.

We saw which guess was right.

Although it's far too early to close the book on Fogg, I think we've seen what he is and that's a borderline .500 guy at best. There will be good nights when he gives us a chance to win, but IMHO, there will be far more nights when he gets us into a big hole early.
    People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Re: The 'Fogg' has set in

From what I saw in the Spring and from Redman yesterday I'd take a .500 Josh Fogg.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Please hurry Matt Belisle, we need you.

Godspeed and good luck.

Rookie ERA

When Fogg has his sinker working, he can be an average pitcher; that's as good as he gets. His sinker most definitely took the night off and he got hammered. I hope either Bailey or Belisle can contribute soon!

If Volquez can deliver and Homer gets his head on straight... man thats nasty. Fogg is just a placeholder, he will get a couple more chances but unless he pitches REALLY well I see Bailey or Belisle taking his place when he gets of the DL.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Porkopolis View Post
    When Fogg has his sinker working, he can be an average pitcher; that's as good as he gets. His sinker most definitely took the night off and he got hammered. I hope either Bailey or Belisle can contribute soon!
    'Average' sinker guys scare me. Danny Graves was one of those...then he became a below average sinker guy and started looking eerily reminiscent of a human launching pad.

When a guy's sinkerballer and the ball has no sink, then he's got absolutely nothing. Some can get by on guile/craftiness/experience when they have their B/C game...Fogg's B/C game means that we have no shot at winning.

I agree with your sentiments on Bailey/Belisle. However it's not a good thing when you're counting on Matt Belisle.

I'd really like Bailey to settle down and turn into a pitcher. To me, it still appears that his philosophy is, "here it is, hit it if you can."

Which costs him. He also takes a bit too long to settle down.

IMHO, this is just a maturity thing and some guys mature faster than others.

The dilemma we face is this:

1. Do we bring him up and let him mature in Cincinnati.

or

2. Do we leave him to pitch in Louisville and hope he learns.

I'd go with the former because it doesn't appear that Louisville doesn't challenge him enough and he tries to do too much when he gets called up.

Let the kid come up and find his way.
    People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I think I might've just hijacked my own thread.

AAA ERA

as one of the most cynical guys on this board.. hey.. he is our 5th starter( in terms of ability not just looking at the actual rotation order) so .500 out of your 5th best guy is nothing to be too concerned with.. aside from the fact that Belisle will push for the job when he is back