Thread: Reds' Reactions to Cueto

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds' Reactions to Cueto

The Reds were not surprised by Johnny Cueto's one-hit, one-run, 10-strikeout, seven-inning debut. But they were giddy. Some examples:

Bronson Arroyo: "I never saw Pedro (Martinez) throw in his younger years in person. But he reminds me somewhat of him -- smaller guy, Dominican, throws the ball on a really low plane, 94 to 96, not an unbelievably big curveball -- Pedro's is bigger -- but a pitch to get them off the fastball and then good change. It was an unbelievable debut. A young guy, great circumstances -- not much of crowd, more of spring training feel -- any way you cut it it's a nerve-racking day. To do what he did, especially command-wise. When someone's throwing that hard, you'd expect them to be up in the zone a lot. He was just painting at the knee all day. Pretty nasty. The only debut I saw that came close to that was (Jonathan) Papelbon. He's turned out to be pretty damn good."

Francisco Cordero: "Unbelievable. Everything was downhill. Everything was a strike. He attacked the hitters. He made the pitches he wanted to make. Even the home run pitch wasn't bad. The guy just put a good swing on it. It was just amazing. I just wanted to get my job done so he got the win. When you pitch like that, you deserve a win, especially in your big debut."

Adam Dunn: "He's fun to play behind. He gets the ball and throws. He doesn't take a lot of time between pitches. He throws strikes. He's one of those special guys. You can tell it on the mound. He's total different on the mound than he is in the clubhouse. I don't know how describe it."

Paul Bako: "He's tough. He's going to be tough for quite a long time. It was nice to see him come out and be himself, not try to do too much. He obviously wasn't rattled. It really doesn't surprise me. It was very nice to see. Just the way he handles himself, the confidence he has and the ability he has, it doesn't surprise me. He's nice and cool and collected. He knows he's good. He doesn't exude cockiness but he's got confidence about him that just every time out we're going to have a chance to win."

Mike Lincoln: "That was a special outing. But we saw that in spring. He's got that kind of stuff to be able to pitch like that every start. You can see it in him. He's a competitor and he has the stuff to carry him to another level."

Dusty Baker: "What can I say about Johnny Cueto? Great debut. He threw strikes. The linescore says it: Seven innings, one run, one hit, 10 strikeouts. That is some debut right there."
    Reds Insider

Personally, I think Cordero's summary does him the proper justice with a true analysis of not only his stuff but his mentality. That is what impressed the heck out of me yesterday, he didn't pitch like many 22 year olds at all. That isn't to say he won't struggle or look overmatched, but I think this start really shows his makeup. I know I've had my doubts about him as I didn't want us to rush him as I felt Bailey was rushed, but it's clear that they both have different mindsets on the mound. As Cordero said, you could tell that Cueto was throwing the pitches he wanted in the locations he planned to. Unlike so many young pitchers who pitch with hesitation or will change their game plan erratically, Cueto trusted his stuff and his strategy with confidence and not cockiness.

MLB ERA

Re: Reds' Reactions to Cueto

Cueto's biggest challenge will come the game he goes out there and has nothing on his fastball or any of his other pitches. All pitchers have to learn to pitch and win without their best stuff. Only then will we really know how good this kid can be.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree, but that's what I like about him as he pitches like a mature pitcher. Lots of kids come up and try to rely purely on their stuff, Cueto's stuff was a definite asset yesterday but an even greater plus for him was the fact that he knew how to take control of the zone and where to locate.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

AAA ERA

yeah i have to say i knew he was going to be pretty good, but i never would have thought he would have had that type of debut.. i missed almost the entire game yesterday.. which was so upseting because i was looking to at least hear it on the radio.. but i had a training class at work so i couldn't even listen to it on the radio, let alone miss work to go down there. I know i got in my car about 3pm and hear the Reds were up 3-1 i was very happy, but when i got a look at the statline.. i was floored.. amazing.. i agree we can't expect him to be that great everytime out there, even if that is the best he can do and do it every so often.. it will be more than enough.. but i don't think that will be the case.. i think he will have his moments.. but we shouldn't have to worry about the guy like we do Homer..

I am extremely excited about this team.. we have a great rotation... and closer.. its what we have been needing for years.. i won't give us the pennet just yet.. but i really think this team is playoff bound.. not just winning record..

I really like his confidence.. and not only that in games when bad things happen.. he already understands that they are going to happen.. so he bounces back.. which is key.. that maturity.. is what is important.. maybe what they said is true, maybe he is really good enough to be the Ace of this staff.. certainly no offense to Harang on that..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I like the way the rotation is rounding out as well. And our offense will definitely pick up when we aren't facing top tier pitching so often. I hope to see something close to this from Volquez as well. I can't expect him to be as dominant, but I think we will see something special. He has the same stuff as Cueto except for his breaking pitch isn't quite as good. But his changeup is pretty nasty as well and he throws just as hard.

The thing that may ultimately set Cueto apart from Bailey and Volquez is his makeup. I can't believe how poised he is. I have seen so many pitchers change their gameplan mid-inning when they have runners on base, or runners in scoring position, or are behind on the scoreboard. Not Cueto, he has so much confidence in his stuff that he ends up using what he has to the best of his ability.

We all have to expect him to take his lumps, but those times he is doing well are the times we are going to be singing his praises. I am still floored by his performance last night.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Not to get into it or anything, but I wanted to know what you guys thought of this situation; what if Cueto still had the perfect game going after the 7th inning? His pitch count was at 92. Does Dusty leave him in? Would you leave him in?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think given his frame and the fact that he is still developing as a pitcher, erring on the side of caution would be best. However, on occasion, especially when he is that dominant, I don't think there is anything wrong with putting him in for another inning at 92, warming up the pen, and pulling him if he doesn't finish it before 105.

Cueto could just become the NL version of Liriano

In that situation he stays in. I know he is strong mentally, but he would be wondering what if for the rest of his life.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

as brewers' fan reaction.....WOW!!! and YIKES!!! NASTY!!!!