Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Game 2: DBacks @ Reds (Payback Time)

Re: Game 2: DBacks @ Reds (Payback Time)

Quote Originally Posted by bipster View Post
    I'd say it is safe to say that Dusty won't give him the bunt sign the next time he is in that situation.
    Let's hope Dusty learned a valuable lesson there. A manager's job is to have his player do what they do best. Clutch hitting is EE's forte, not bunting. If it were Ryan Freel or Norris Hopper I might have them bunting but in that situation it was ridiculous to bunt EE. When behind by two runs I don't like the idea of giving away precious outs anyway. Dusty got lucky here.

I did like the approach of Adam Dunn in the 9th. He worked the pitcher and then just tried to get on base. Adam Dunn detractors have been calling for this from him for years.

MLB ERA

And I wonder how much of the early change in Dunn's approach and even his fielding prowess points back to Dusty?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think his approach at the plate will be different this year in the situations where it needs to be (like that 9th inning situation.) As for the defense, I don't know how much we could attribute to Dusty as Dunn made obvious strides last season and made a conscious effort toward improving there. Dusty might fuel that fire further, but I personally think Dunn was embarrassed by his past defensive mishaps and wanted to change that impression he made on some.

MLB ERA

Yeah, he did make strides, but it seems this year he's got a different "feel" out there from what I can gather.

I'm going to closely monitor him on Saturday, along with other "scouting" aspects of a Dusty-led team that might not always be picked up without close examination.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789