Thread: Dunn a leader for Reds his own way

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn a leader for Reds his own way

Slugger has taken young players under his wing in clubhouse By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- One way or another, Adam Dunn is a team leader for the Reds.

However, Dunn won't shout from the hilltops like William Wallace in "Braveheart." Nor would the left fielder make like his celebrity look alike, Will Ferrell, by donning a male cheerleader costume to bark out perky chants, a la Saturday Night Live.

Dunn is the Reds' leading earner this season with a $13 million salary. With the team since 2001, he has the second-longest tenure behind Ken Griffey Jr. If nothing else, his 6-foot-6, 275-pound frame makes him Cincinnati's largest player. All are built-in reasons that seem to signify him as a team leader.

No problem, says Dunn, but he will do it in his own style -- not how people perceive he should lead.
    Click here to read the rest.

I personally think Dunn is a great leadership example in the clubhouse. Too many people have tried to unfairly attribute Dunn to being lazy or apathetic, but based on every comment you could read, it's clear that Dunn is never satisfied with his performance and is always seeking improvement. Add in the fact that he can have fun too, so he is not just getting into a funk, and I think it gives players like Bruce the right to attitude to shoot for.

BTW, Cueto singing "Born In The USA" would have been great to see.

AAA ERA

Re: Dunn a leader for Reds his own way

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Click here to read the rest.

I personally think Dunn is a great leadership example in the clubhouse. Too many people have tried to unfairly attribute Dunn to being lazy or apathetic, but based on every comment you could read, it's clear that Dunn is never satisfied with his performance and is always seeking improvement. Add in the fact that he can have fun too, so he is not just getting into a funk, and I think it gives players like Bruce the right to attitude to shoot for.

BTW, Cueto singing "Born In The USA" would have been great to see.
    i really liked how he put the ball in play to get Phillips home from 3rd yesterday

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You could tell that was a Dusty influence. Dunn knew there was a fast runner, changed his swing to ensure that he would hit to the other side and drive the run is.

I don't want Dunn doing that everytime as he has been our most productive bat, but going against the reigning Cy Young winner... it was a good move to get a run on the board.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep, and he played some solid defense last night as well. Maybe I should have givn him the MVP. Either way, it is good to see that Dunn has taken a leadership role on this team.

Also, it was in fact Junior's idea to have the team wearing #41 as well. Two of our biggest names have taken the reigns and I have no doubt that Dusty is a huge part of this move forward.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That's awesome to hear Jr. wanted that. Hopefully he'll play even harder to make the season honoring the old lefthander even more memorable.

Junior always comes up with these good ideas, wasn't he the one that started the Robinson trend last year? Anyway, I think Dunn will really listen to what Baker has to say and will work hard to improve. I think he could have his best year to date, especially since this is our best chance to compete in forever.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.