2.2BORLANDO HUDSON...SSJEFF KEPPINGER
    3.LFERIC BYRNES...RFKEN GRIFFEY JR
    4.1BCONOR JACKSON...2BBRANDON PHILLIPS
    5.CCHRIS SNYDER...LFADAM DUNN
    6.3BMARK REYNOLDS...3BEDWIN ENCARNACION
    7.SSSTEPHEN DREW...1BSCOTT HATTEBERG
    8.RFJUSTIN UPTON...CJAVIER VALENTIN
    9.PBRANDON WEBB...PAARON HARANG

Opening Day is finally here! If you aren't in the Great American, you have to be here with us. Spring Training fever is over and now it's time for the regular season. Everyone is starting off with a clean slate, so lets start this one off with a bang.

I want to see the ballpark blowing up and people spontaneously combusting in the stands. But to get that, we are going to have to hope for a big game by Aaron Harang. He has either been lights out or just awful in recent memory for season openers.

The DBacks have some very good young talent. We must not forget, they were in the NL championship series against the Rockies just last season. Their ace and annual CY Young candidate Brandon Webb will be opposing our big bats.

Expect this one to be more of a pitcher's duel than an offensive explosion. Both of these aces have been exceptional in their craft and they don't plan to get off on the wrong foot.

I'm excited about this one! Let's get the excitement started before tomorrow's festivities.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Opening Day 2008: DBacks at Reds

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a sudden chill down their spine when they see Mr. OBP Corey Patterson leading off? I know it was reported before and expected by many, but to see it on the actual opening day lineup is tough to accept. I personally actually liked the signing of Patterson and I could see him possibly finding success with the bat in GAB, making use of his talent at a level we have not seen before, but seeing him leading off is a tough pill to swallow.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Scott Hatteberg got the first base job over Big Bad Joey Votto? Ugh. What's Dusty Baker thinking!??!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I just hope all the hype around his possibly getting it all together comes to fruition. I think it hurts to see this as well, but he did stick in ST. Hopefully he can carry it over for a while and at the same time Bruce kills it in Louisville and the Reds are forced to trade Patterson.

On the other hand, I want to see the Reds start off with a bang, so getting Patterson on base (although a stretch) would help a lot.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Scott Hatteberg got the first base job over Big Bad Joey Votto? Ugh. What's Dusty Baker thinking!??!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

To be honest, I do like the order of the lineup at least. But I wonder along with DK, what is going on with Votto?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Baker is old school (obviously.) Hatteberg had a productive season last year and outplayed Votto (offensively anyway) this spring. I think they will be sharing time quite a bit as from earlier quotes, it seems apparent that Dusty wanted Votto to win it this spring, but he didn't. We have to remember that Baker won't make the decision that will delight the stat heads out there, I am sure he sees Hatteberg as a veteran who is still playing hard and if he (Baker) was put in a similar situation where he out performed a rookie but the rookie won the job, he would be outraged. I am not saying it's right, but I do think that was the perspective used.

Personally, I wish Votto would be starting in AAA as opposed to this (to be called up when Hatteberg slumps or is traded, allowing Votto his second chance.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Personally, I don't think Hatteberg will slump. You guys remember how much I liked Hatteberg last season. Although I admit he isn't our best player, he is still a really productive bat. But I definitely see Votto with a stronger stick. At least in the power department.

It is much easier for me to understand this vs. the love some other guys used to get from past managers. I think this lineup will do well tomorrow.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am a big Hatteberg fan too, but his value is lower if they are going to use him beyond his usual platoon status. I think Dusty just wants Votto to "prove it" to him this season so he can justify to Hatteberg why he'll be getting less AB's.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Here is what Dusty has to say about the whole thing:

"The regular first baseman is going to be the one playing that day. Joey has great upside potential, but Hatteberg had a great spring. A lot of is going to depend on matchups," Baker said when asked about his regular first baseman going into the season. "Joey came up a little strong at the end, you wish he would have done better. He's here now because of what he did last year. Dunn has had a fair spring, Edwin (Encarnacion's) stuggled all spring in the sixth spot and you don't want that many guys in a row who are not on the top of their game. We want someone who is swinging the bat pretty good, at least initially. Everyone had a few at-bats to show if they're right now. You have to go with right now and hopefully the other guys get their acts together."

Votto hit .206 in the spring with 63 at-bats, the third-most of any player this spring. Hatteberg hit .386 in 57 at-bats. Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion struggled, hitting .152 in 66 at-bats.
    So, yeah you have it nailed mission. Votto did start to hit finally at the end of ST, but it was too late. No doubt Hatteberg earned this start and that is why this is easier to understand. I just hope we don't have to start complaining about lack of ABs for Votto soon. Otherwise, why not send him back to AAA as you said?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Some predictions:

Harang 7.1IP 6K 6H 1BB 3 ER (roughed up a bit in the fourth inning)

Patterson 1-5
    Keppinger 2-4
    Griffey 1-3
    BP 0-4
    Dunn 2-3 1 HR
    EdE 0-4
    Hatteberg 1-3
    Valentin 2-4

Hopper, pinch hit RBI basehit.
    EdE with a great diving stab.

Reds win 5-4

Man I'm so pumped for this. I think Baker made the right call, hopefully he starts working Votto into the starting lineup or they give him at bats in AAA. Prediction looks good redsbetter, although I would like to see EE get a hit somewhere

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Just listening to the radio makes me frantic. I truly hope I can get home to catch the game. I have to work today and am looking for every excuse in the world to get home by gametime.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rain delay...

UGH!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

God just hates us today, almost every game is being rain delayed.
    Last edited by Witlon; 03-31-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast