Thread: Stanton (likely) Released! (And more...)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Stanton (likely) Released! (And more...)

Per C Trent:

It's unlikely Mike Stanton will be with the Cincinnati Reds on Opening Day, according to sources.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said he has met with the veteran left-hander about his situation, but nothing will be official until Monday.

"We had a conversation, he knows where he stands," Krivsky said from his cell phone at Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., on Friday.

Stanton will be owed $3.5 million from the team -- his $3 million salary for this season and a $500,000 buy-out.

With that, plus Bill Bray's demotion to Louisville, it looks as if Jeremy Affeldt and Kent Mercker will be the left-handers out of the Reds' bullpen to start the season.

Earlier on Friday, the Reds returned Rule V selection Jose Capellan to the Red Sox, optioned LHP Bill Bray to Class AAA Louisville and reassigned INF Andy Phillips to minor league camp. That put the number of healthy players in camp to 31, with Stanton likely gone, there will need to be five more cuts before gametime on Monday.
    There you have it. A smart move put in by the front office. Eat the money and realize it was a dumb contract to give a guy on the back end of his career. The decision to let Stanton go just made this team much better.

I don't quite understand cutting Bray. Mercker has pitched well for us and I hope he has a good season. But Bray has been lights out. I guess this makes our depth that much better.

And for the 25th man, I think with Phillips getting cut, this leaves Hairston, Cabrera, Green, and Castro. Or they could possibly give Ross a slot and hold three catchers until Ross id 100%.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Stanton (likely) Released! (And more...)

I loved Stanton when he was a Yankee, but his time has long come and gone.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

His time left him as soon as he sigend the contract to put that "C" on his chest.

MLB ERA

His time left him as soon as he went to the Expos and in his first appearance, gave up a walk off balk.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ouch, I never knew he did that. What an amazing chonch. I am just happy this organization is not thinking with their wallet right now.

MLB ERA

It was right after the Yankees released him in 2005, and he went to the Expos/Nats in mid July.