Thread: Cueto is human afterall

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cueto is human afterall

He struggled mightily today:

Originally Posted by John Fay
    Sunday, March 23, 2008
    Uh-oh Cueto

Johnny Cueto hit a little bump in the road.

He allowed five runs on three hits in two-thirds of inning. He simply could not command any of his pitches. He walked five, including pitcher Matt Garza on four pitches.

He gave up a double to Akinori Iwamura to start the game. He walked Carl Crawford on five pitches. Carlos Pena hit one out to left-center. Cueto then got a pair of groundouts. But he walked the nerxt two hitters. Joel Guzman followed with a two-run double. Cueto then walked Garza. When Iwamura walked, Dusty Baker came out and got Cueto.

41 pitches/18 strikes.
    Hy the way, Homer Bailey is starting tomorrow. This comes as a surprise because he is taking Fogg's spot in the spring rotation. Any of you think this coincides with Cueto's bad outing?

And are any of you worried about the sudden struggle from Cueto?

Re: Cueto is human afterall

No not really, you can't be lights out every time. Lets himself know he is human before the season starts. The start by Bailey is interesting, maybe the believed his story of bad luck?

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

When did he say he was having bad luck? I mean, Bailey may have had a bit of bad luck, but he has walked far too many batters to make any excuses for himself. I would much rather have Fogg in the rotation than Bailey right now. He just needs more seasoning.

I am a bit worried about Cueto. But its not just him I am worried about. Its the fans. He has been so impressive that I am worried he may have given us the wrong impression. I think he will dominate some games, pitch well in others, and every once and a while, he will struggle. Comes with being so inexperienced at this level.

But man, that was a rough outing. Its scary to see him struggle with his command when that is one of his strongest assets.

It was where Bailey was saying that he had to face the best lineups in the league or something to that affect.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He did face the Yankees and the Tigers. Volquez dominated the heart of the Yankees lineup though.

To me, if he was getting hit, that would be one thing. But if he walks every other batter, thats a whole different can of beans. I truly hope he gets over himself and takes on a bit of humility and understands that he just isn't the "savior" we want him to be yet.