Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

LaRue playing through pain

LaRue playing through pain
    Reds notebook

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

HOUSTON - You can question Jason LaRue's bat. You can question his ability as a receiver. But you can't question LaRue's guts - or his pain threshold.

LaRue suffered a hairline fracture of the left wrist on May 24 when he was hit by 95 mph fastball from Washington's Gary Majewski.

LaRue was back in the lineup four days later.

He had started three straight games before getting Wednesday night off.

"It hurts," he said. "It feels like a broken bone. You know it's going to take four to six weeks to heal."

LaRue plays with the wrist taped. He also sewed a protective pad onto his wristband.

LaRue said he was ready to play two days after the break - which is of the bone that protrudes just above the hand.

"I just had to wait for the swelling to go down," he said. "That took a couple of days."

LaRue has continued his hot streak at the plate since the injury. Entering Wednesday, he was 5-for-his-last-11 with a home run and five RBI since returning.

Overall, he has hit in 10 straight games. He was 15-for-39 (.385) with three home runs and 12 RBI during the streak, raising his average from .169 to .238.

The streak followed a career-high 0-for-24 stretch.
    Click here for the rest of Reds Notebook

AA ERA
    Catchers are tough. if LaRue would be on a hot streak more often and hit the ball more often( he does get some big hits for us ) then he would be amazing. I think that LaRue is the best defensive Catcher out there. he has a quick ball release and most of the time can get that base runner out trying to steal. and the reds crazy pitchers well he can block the ball from doing much damage as well. i also like valentine behind the plate too. good set of catchers if u ask me

MLB ERA
    pudge is also playing though the same thing
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    LaRue is such a competitor, and despite what some think, he is a pretty good offensive catcher.

Valentin can be good with his arm, but he really can't hit much when playing over extended periods, so I think he is really useless. I wish we had a better secondary catcher around.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds_fan_4_life
    Catchers are tough. if LaRue would be on a hot streak more often and hit the ball more often( he does get some big hits for us ) then he would be amazing. I think that LaRue is the best defensive Catcher out there. he has a quick ball release and most of the time can get that base runner out trying to steal. and the reds crazy pitchers well he can block the ball from doing much damage as well. i also like valentine behind the plate too. good set of catchers if u ask me
    by defense you man his throwing ability.. he can throw it.. he just can't seem to catch sometimes.

well you know when you are up there for leading the league in HBP.. you are going to get injuries like this