Thread: Affeldt to the pen?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Affeldt to the pen?

I have been reading rumors about the broadcast today. I guess Dusty Baker said that Affeldt has been told that he will be in the bullpen this year. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, this is great news! This all but solidifies a spot for at least one of Cueto/Volquez.

Re: Affeldt to the pen?

Looking more and more like they both will be in the rotation. Oddly enough, this makes our rotation and bullpen better.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

It would be extremely good news. When Affeldt was signed we all wanted him to be commited to the pen. Thankfully he hasn't pitched as good as our two young studs.

And do you guys think Bailey is on the trade block now?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Krivsky doesn't typically deal on the cheap, he buys on the cheap. It's way too early to give up on Bailey or expect Cueto and Volquez the saviors so I just don't forsee that.

As for Affeldt, I didn't catch the game and I did hear that. Affeldt was informed of it this morning. Thankfully it was done early so we can start getting a working idea of our pen and how Baker will handle it. Will Affeldt play second fiddle to Stanton due to Stanton's veteran experience? Supposedly Bray has looked really good overall this spring, so hopefully we will have at least two solid lefties.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Affeldt had success last year in the bullpen so I didn't really think he was even going to be thought of as a starter. The more I look at this team the better it seems. Any word on trading Freel? I read some rumors but it had no substance.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok, I caught the broadcast and Baker did say Affeldt was told that he would be in the pen. So it is a sure thing. By the way, Cueto didn't look as good as usual today, but was still very impressive from my perspective. A little rattled with his control, but still looked really good.

Back to Affeldt; I have to wonder how many lefties they will keep in the pen. Surely Mercker and Sauerbeck shouldn't have a chance. But Baker has liked them quite a bit. But even worse, I have to mention the mistake it would be for Krivsky and Baker to give Stanton a spot.

Man, I hate to see what he does to this team before they figure it out. Dude is doneand gives us nowhere near the chance at winning as Bray. In other words, I hate to see Bray start in Louisville with Stanton getting the job over him.

As for Freel; he is another one. We have no clue what the plans are for him. He is definitely on the block. But he is one on a long list of CFs and has been mentioned far less than anyone else on the list this spring. Yet, if he is still with this organization come opening day, I can't imagine his not being with the big club.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Supposedly Mercker has looked pretty damn good in the limited action he has had.

As for Cueto, I am really surprised he wasn't pounded on for more. That Tigers lineup is STACKED and would have to be absolutely soul crushing for a pitcher who was in AA for the majority of last year to face.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I agree, it is good to see Cueto deal well against a stacked lineup like this. Then of course Bailey has faced his share of lineups as well (Yankees comes to mind). But then you see Fogg getting two games against the Pirates.

Maybe this has to do with some lopsided numbers? Regardless, Cueto has been doing well against everything thrown at him. And Volquez is right there as well.

MLB ERA

Although we'll likely start the season with a couple pitches on the roster I'd like to not see there (namely Stanton), I'm hoping they dump the dreck quickly. Here would be a good pitching staff right now for me:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Belisle

Cordero
    Burton
    Weathers
    Bray (if he stays healthy)
    Roenicke
    Coutlangus/Mercker
    Affeldt
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Coutlangus/Mercker? I like both of these guys, but if we have Affeldt and Bray as our lefties, I would be more comfortable with Coffey. I think he has worked extremely hard this offseason and has pitched very well this spring. I think he has all but earned his spot.

Welcome back CRF!

MLB ERA

Well, if Coffey can supress those HR issues this year then sure, I'd like him in there. He could replace the Coutlangus/Mercker combo or even Affeldt. I'm not too concerned with the number of LHP vs. RHP relievers, though we obviously want at least a couple of each.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds about right. I am just getting nervous about what Baker may be thinking. We have been burned by poor management so often these last few seasons and the rumors of Baker's inability to choose the correct players at times frightens me.

But my pitchers would look like this:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Fogg
    Volquez
    Cueto

Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Affeldt
    Bray
    Coffey