Thread: Volquez

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Volquez

I got to watch the archive of the Reds at Yankees game from yesterday. Bailey flat out did not look good. Hewalked 3 batters and beaned one. He gave up 6 hits and struck out 3. All in 2.2 IP. Not good.

But Volquez was NASTY! 8 Ks in 4 IP. He did give up 2 ER, but he was pretty dominant nonetheless. I wish they had a radar gun set for the broadcast, but he was throwing so hard even Chris Welsh was amazed. Then that changeup was killing guys like ARod and Giambi.

Now, we are 1/3 of the way through the spring. What is your rotation?

Mine:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Belisle

MLB ERA

Re: Volquez

Are Cueto and Volquez ready for the stress of big-league life? They will have to be handled really carefully to remain psychologically healthy.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Good question:

Cueto has impeccable makeup and is more poised for handling a big league career than any other prospect in the Reds system. That is why he has been on the fast track.

On the other side of the spectrum; you have Homer Bailey. The dude has an attitude of a Carlos Zambrano. As a rookie last season, he told his veteran catcher to go back behind the plate and shut his mouth after David Ross went out to the mound for a catcher's visit.

I think Volquez is somewhere in the middle. I see him as a little cocky, which could hurt him during slumps. But he has such good talent that I don't see him hurting on the mound as often as most young guns.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

An attitude like Carlos Zambrano? I think we're exaggerating things here. Of course the kid is going to have somewhat of an ego, he's 21. Not only is he 21, he was the top of tops for prospect, got a few mil in a signing bonus, and has been labeled the Reds savior. For people to believe he is going to come to camp, with his head held humbly while still wanting to lavish praise on him is just sending mix messages. Now the problem is when he is 25, 26, etc, is he still a punky kid or does he realize he could kind of be an ass when he was younger. We want Bailey confident, perhaps over-confident to some extent, but that shouldn't give him a roster spot nor tarnish the potential he has. Bailey rocketed through the system, if he's not ready until he is 22 or 23, it's not like he will be behind his peers (let's just hope he takes most of his lumps in AAA where he works on control and his breaking stuff.)

As for Voloquez, just plain filthy. He needs to be tested more than he has this spring, but based on last season I would say he is the safest bet for the Reds rotation on Opening Day.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I definitely can't take Bailey out of the rotation because of his attitude. But I do think he has gotten under some people's skin. Maybe just the media guys and that won't hurt you at all. But he just seems like a very hard guy to get along with.

Then again, it still doesn't take away from his talent and the biggest thing is what you just said. He is just 21. Dusty Baker alluded to the fact that many players at age 21 are still in college. Bailey still has top of the rotation talent, but as I was saying before; he is not ready yet.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No, he isn't ready. I am just hoping the media doesn't blow this out of the water as it isn't a major issue yet and I think most 21 year olds can suffer foot in mouth disease. Put him in AAA, let him know there are guys ahead of him in terms of major league readiness, this might be the piece of humble pie needed to get him to refine his stuff and become a MLB pitcher and not thrower.

MLB ERA

Were it up to me, I'd give both Cueto and Volquez a bit more time to aclimate themselves to the rigors of pitching at the big league level. Let them pitch for a while at AAA without a pitchcount and without taking them out of games they are not pitching well in. They need to learn to pitch without their best stuff. I'd let Bailey work out his issues at the big league level. He's got great stuff and needs to learn to use it properly.
    As to the other spot in the rotation, Why not Josh Fogg? He isn't the best pitcher in the league, or on the team, but he has quite a bit of experience.
    When he, or anyone else in the rotation faulters, Volquez would be the guy I'd bring up first.
    I'd use the rotation Yahoo recomments -- Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Fogg, Belisle.
    The reason I'd keep Bailey in the rotation is simple. He doesn't seem to be coachable anymore at the minor league level. He thinks he has grown above that level.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per John Fay!

I asked Dusty Baker after the game the obvious question:

Are Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto separating themselves from the rest of pitchers competing for the rotation?

"You want me to say it or are you going to say," Baker said. "They're pitching like they belong along side (Aaron) Harang and (Bronson) Arroyo in the rotation. They're dealing. They came in ready to pitch. They played Winter Ball so they're ahead, not so much with velocity but with command. That's what you need. They're pounding the strike zone. If you walk people, you have no chance. If you get behind people, you have little chance.

"We need them."

There you have it: If season started today, the rotation would be Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez and probably Josh Fogg.
    Sounds about perfect to me. Volquez went 5 innings and gave up 0 ER 3 H and 1 BB with 6 Ks. Cueto is on the hill tomorrow guys!

Volquez has been awesome no questions asked. Not a lucky awesome either, look at that k per 9!

my rotation would be
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Fogg

with Belisle behind them just in case.

BTW, nice sig redsrbetter!

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

I'd still go with Belisle over Fogg. Fogg relies more on his defense and him in GABP makes me nervous.

I still haven't really seen Volquez or Cueto much, but the stats. have told the stories pretty well with those two. I will make my own "future prediction" comments on them once I get to see them in a real game for the first time. They have definitely earned their rotation spots though.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think it's pretty much a lock now. Belisle has a minor injury, sore forearm, and with such little time left and another impressive outing by Volquez.... I think we have our five. I am not the biggest fan of Fogg's, but he earned a spot with his spring training performance, and as long as as the management isn't afraid to go to other options if he struggles, I am ok with him at #5 (for now.)