Thread: Patterson and Hairston signed to minor league deals

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Patterson and Hairston signed to minor league deals

Per Fay:

Reds sign Patterson, Hairston

Minor league deals for both. Will update.
    per C Trent:

Tonight the Reds signed to minor league contracts and invited to Major League spring training camp OF Corey Patterson (#23) and IF Jerry Hairston Jr. (#15).

Patterson, 28, has played 8 seasons in the Major Leagues for the Cubs (2000-05) and Orioles (2006-07).

Hairston, 31, has played 10 seasons for the Orioles (1998-2004), Cubs (2005-06) and Rangers (2006-07). Both players are expected to report to camp tomorrow.
    I'll call Wayne and get back to you ASAP

Wayne's at dinner, will get back to you soon.

Both players played for Dusty Baker with the Cubs. Patterson from 2003-05 and Hairston in 2005-06.

Patterson was traded by the Cubs to the Orioles prior to the 2006 season, Hairston was traded from the Cubs to the Rangers in the 2006 season.

Last season Patterson had an OBP of .304, and his career OBP is .298. Ryan Freel had a career-worst OBP of .308 last season and for his career his OBP is .358.

From Krivsky:

Did this signing have anything to do with the injury status of Jay Bruce?
    No, nothing at all.

I like players.

We signed them for the idea of competiting. They're going to come down here and try to compete for a job on the team.

Sure, absolutlely, Dusty had some imput, as did our scout (whose name I didn't catch, sorry Wayne) who covered the Orioles last year. He saw Patterson and liked the changes he made offensively at the end of the season.

We wouldn't have signed them if we didn't think they could help us, whether they can make the team or not, that remains to be seen. We'll see what kind of shape they're in. Both said they've stayed in shape over the off-season, but they haven't seen live pitching for a while and will need a couple of days before they get into games.

Patterson's driving from Atlanta, he's supposed to get in tonight. Hairston's flying in from Phoenix and won't get here until tomorrow afternoon.

No promises or guarantees have been made to either guy.

Patterson is obviously here to compete for the centerfield spot...
    That's what he does.

Hairston has primarily played second, where are you looking for him to play?
    He's played second and center and left and right. I think last season he had 10 or so games at third. He's got some versatility. He's got some speed. We'll take all the speed we can get.

What have you heard about Jay Bruce's status?
    I haven't heard anything, I think he's day-to-day. I was told he felt better today.

These signings don't mean Neifi Perez is around the corner, do they?
    Well, I'm on Mound and I'm not sure what's around the corner. No, I don't comment on other free agents.
    I have to hurry with this but I am not opposed to seeing more competition for Bruce. Why have Hairston signed though? Surely he isn't an option at 2B or even an infield bench option, right? Much less a glimpse of thought should ever be consideredas his being competition for Bruce or even Patterson.

Thoughts?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Patterson and Hairston signed to minor league deals

Baseball Prospectus had this to say about Dusty and Patterson's past relationship:

Patterson was in the Cubs`--and especially Dusty Baker`s--doghouse after a disastrous 2005, which meant the Orioles were able buy low, for a change, picking him up for two players (Nate Spears and Carlos Perez) who turned in awful seasons for the Cubs` High-A team in Daytona. Patterson is a former favorite of scouts and statheads alike, but he turned out to be one of those players who, at age 20, was about as good as he was ever going to be. The idea that the average player improves through his twenties to age 27 is mistaken, as that trend really only applies to the average major leaguer. What distinguishes a typical major leaguer from a typical minor leaguer is the ability to learn and improve. Patterson doesn`t have that talent, but his basic skills are good enough to keep him in the majors for years to come. Just keep him away from left-handed pitchers.
    Do you guys think Patterson is a better option than Freel or Hopper? I like his defense for sure, but is he better with the bat than the guys we already have?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

eh uhm...

Acquired from the Cubs in the Phil Nevin bake sale, Hairston batted .206/.270/.253 between the two clubs. With his production plummeting like an elevator with a snapped cable, a career of similar longevity to his pop`s, Jerry Sr., seems increasingly unlikely. No speed, no power, no patience, no batting average, no defense, no point. Hairston was released after the season ended in order to make room for Mike Wood, an excellent indication of his current perceived value. Texas gave him a one-year contract to come back and try again.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

WOW, that's a bad OPS.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Trent says it all here:

Last season Patterson had an OBP of .304, and his career OBP is .298. Ryan Freel had a career-worst OBP of .308 last season and for his career his OBP is .358.
    I mean, I don't even like either of these guys as bench help. I would much rather have Freel or Hopper.

Now I have to wonder if Freel will be traded

MLB ERA

Good god, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I'd take Freel as a 25th man though, to play everywhere and get key steals.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A random Phil Nevin nod.
    Woohoo
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Exactly. I do like, however, how Krivsky said this just creates competition. It is just a minor league contract afterall. But many seem to think that this is all but doom for Jay Bruce and that Patterson is likely to be our starting CF and leadoff hitter.

Patterson may be a good defender. But, why do so many forget about Freel?

Check this page out and look at his amazing catches:

Link

(Go to 2007, then player by team, then Reds, then Freel.)
    Its worth your while!

Now tell me he can't handle CF.

MLB ERA

If Patterson's your leadoff hitter, Dusty Baker gets fired effective immediately.

AAA ERA

yeah I am all for competition.. i want to see the best 25 man team out there possible, i just hope it isn't a hey I'm dusty baker I'm the manager and i like this guy, so that guy has to go.. when the guy baker likes is clearly the lesser of the two.. that is my only worry

Hairston makes no sense whatsoever. Patterson is ok to bring to camp I guess, but if he ends up in the opening day lineup without batting .500 this spring something is very wrong.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

What? Baker did not have enough of torturing Patterson in Chicago, that he needed to bring him to Cincy to finish up the torture? hahaha.. Hairston and Patterson coming back to good old Dusty, how coincindental is that?