Thread: Competition

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Competition

With the new acquisitions coupled with the young studs, I was interested in seeing how your starting rotation would look.

For me:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez
    Bailey

How I think it will end up:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Fogg
    Affeldt

Also with Gonzo going down with the knee injury; who is your starting SS? I would go with Keppinger just because he has a great bat. But Castro and Janish seem to have a good chance as well. Castro, ugh!

Next, the battle between Bruce, Freel, and Hopper is a popular thought around Redsland right now. I would go with Bruce, but it seems like Hopper is getting a whole lot of love. I don't hate having Freel start the season off in CF and having Bruce come up a bit later. And I have to admit that Hopper can stick as well, but Bruce's promising future and ability to show he is ready has me wanting to see him penciled in at CF on opening day.

My order on the depth chart for CF:
    Bruce
    Freel
    Hopper

Likely Baker's order:
    Hopper
    Freel
    Bruce

And finally, what about 1B? Hatteberg is the vet that Baker loves so much and he can defintely hit. I really like Hatteberg a lot. But I like Votto even better. I just don't see Votto going back to Louisville. I think he is definitely going north after ST. But to keep him on the bench would be a major mistake. We have said it too many times; you don't keep a rising stud on the bench. You get him as much PT as possible.

What are your thoughts on this year's spring competition?

Re: Competition

I think Hatteberg is gonna be the designated pinch hitter, getting some time at first, and I wouldn't be surprised to so Votto start in the outfield on occasion or go there on a double switch. Kep is gonna be locked in at SS. A top of the order guy Dusty is gonna want. As for the rotation I don't know what to make of it. It could go any direction really. Sadly I see Bruce in AAA to start the season, but we could get lucky if Kep solves the leadoff problem in Dusty's eyes and takes Bruce's bat.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Love the sig Doppelganger, I need a new one as well. Perhaps I will request a Jay Bruce sig soon.

Anyhow, I know we all do this a lot, but I am going to speculate a bit here. I agree that Keppinger will get the nod at short. But Baker won't use him in the leadoff spot if/when Hopper starts in CF. I think Hopper is the choice right now considering how much he has played already this spring (I know, its early.) And Baker has had plenty of words like "Hopper hits the ball hard," to help us see where he is leaning.

There is a lot of March left, so things can change. But if Baker were to make an opening day lineup right now, I think it would look like this.

Hopper CF
    Keppinger SS
    Griffey RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Hatteberg 1B
    Encarnacion 3B
    Ross C

Mistakes? EdE would need to move up to the 6th spot IMO. And I still want Votto to start. I would also prefer Freel to Hopper right now as well, but it is close.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Love the sig Doppelganger, I need a new one as well. Perhaps I will request a Jay Bruce sig soon.

Anyhow, I know we all do this a lot, but I am going to speculate a bit here. I agree that Keppinger will get the nod at short. But Baker won't use him in the leadoff spot if/when Hopper starts in CF. I think Hopper is the choice right now considering how much he has played already this spring (I know, its early.) And Baker has had plenty of words like "Hopper hits the ball hard," to help us see where he is leaning.

There is a lot of March left, so things can change. But if Baker were to make an opening day lineup right now, I think it would look like this.

Hopper CF
    Keppinger SS
    Griffey RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Hatteberg 1B
    Encarnacion 3B
    Ross C

Mistakes? EdE would need to move up to the 6th spot IMO. And I still want Votto to start. I would also prefer Freel to Hopper right now as well, but it is close.
    only thing is if i recall baker has already said 1B is vottos to lose, so replace hatteberg w/ votto and i think that will be the order w/ EdE in the 6 hole

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I really hope so. But again, I don't feel like its the case right now.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I think first base starts out as a platoon of Votto and Hatteberg at the begining with both of them getting a good amount of playing time, but as the season progresses I think Hatte will be squeezed out.

Bruce I think will start the year in AAA, Hopper will get the nod to start CF. Personally I don't "hate" this, but man I'm excited to see Bruce as an everyday player for the Reds.

SS is all Keppingers until Gonzo comes back. I don't think Baker will give anything but the spot start and late defensive replacement time to Castro. I hope.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Castro should be cut, plain and simple. Eat the 2 mil and keep him from hurting us. Same goes for Stanton.