Thread: Into the Bullpen?

Into the Bullpen?

From Baker
    "Where I come from is the Dodger Way where young guys, if they're not starting, the next best thing is long relief, which is in between relieving and starting," Baker said. "It's probably the least pressurized position on the pitching staff. Most the time you come in behind or losing. We did it with Dave Burba in San Francisco. … Much like the Dodgers did with Pedro Martinez, then he started off starting for years in years.

"A lot of young guys start in long relief, Nolan Ryan started in long relief. I remember in New York when he could make that rotation. Most people don't remember Nolan Ryan out of the bullpen. If a guy's not going to start or if you're packed, that's the next best thing."
    How would you guys feel about Bailey, Volquez, or Cueto ending up in the bullpen instead of the rotation or AAA? Long relief doesn't sound to great, I would rather see them in more important situations.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Re: Into the Bullpen?

Lots of pitchers have gone this route, but if you want to keep these guys as starters, it might be better to send them to AAA to keep them on their regular schedules so they will know what it is to be a starter.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

AAA ERA

yeah I gotta disagree with the philosphy.. you really want these guys starting on a rotation basis.. if they are a starter.. then they need to start in AAA

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I don't have a hard time thinking Volquez would be good in the bullpen. Dude has nasty stuff, and I am excited about what he may bring. I see him as a strong bullpen arm (long relief) and one that can move into the rotation once Fogg and/or Affeldt fail.

Personally, I hate having Fogg and Affeldt in the rotation. It isn't set in stone, but it is where the organization is looking first and foremost. I would love to have Affeldt in the bullpen and make room for Bailey or Volquez. Fogg is pretty much a lock IMO unless he gets killed this spring. That makes me sick. Welcome Jim Hanson, Dave Williams, Eric Milton back to Cincy. Fogg is of the same mold.