Thread: Graves could be swimming with the Fish by Thursday

MLB ERA

Graves could be swimming with the Fish by Thursday

Graves trade with Marlins falls off

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

HOUSTON | A trade between the Florida Marlins and Cincinnati Reds involving discarded pitcher Danny Graves fell through this week when it became known that Graves' contract escalated $500,000 this year if he is traded.

That's $500,000 more the Reds would have to pay Graves NOT to pitch for them.

That doesn't mean he won't be with the Marlins. That could happen by Thursday when Graves becomes a free agent.

The Reds placed him on unconditional waivers Tuesday. Any team could claim him for $1, but that team also would be responsible for all of his remaining Reds salary.

Instead, clubs will wait until he clears waivers in 48 hours and becomes a free agent. Graves can sign with his team of choice and that team is responsible for the pro-rated major-league minimum, about $200,000, and the Reds will be responsible for the rest, more than $5 million.

Look for the Marlins, Chicago Cubs or Washington Nationals to go after Graves.

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said something interesting about his closer from last year, Shingo Takatsu (0-2, 6.91 ERA, 8 for 9 in save opportunities), who has struggled as much, or more, this year than Graves.

Asked about sending him to the minors and releasing him, Guillen said, "He needs to work through his slump in the majors. If we sent down or released everyone who had a bad day, bad week or bad month we wouldn't have a team."

At last look, the White Sox lead the American League Central.

Be smart, work hard

The Thinking Man's Pitcher: Aaron Harang wasn't aware that opposing pitcher Roger Clemens was 3 for 3 in his career as a hitter with the bases loaded when Clemens came to bat with the bases loaded and one out in the second inning Monday.

That didn't stop Harang from working Clemens as if he was a guy with the same initials, Roberto Clemente.

"I knew he got a bases loaded hit off Matt Belisle in April," said Harang. "But I just knew in that situation I had to put him away. I pitched him away so that if he hit something it would be on the ground. I knew he wasn't running good (sore groin) and we could get a double play." Instead, Harang struck him out.

The Thinking Man's Hitter

Felipe Lopez is on a 13-game hitting streak and is hitting .296 since starting all of the previous 26 games. Nevertheless, when there was extra hitting for those who wanted it early Tuesday, Lopez was among the attendees.

"He just likes to hit a lot and he is always in the indoor batting cage," said hitting coach Chris Chambliss.

Said Lopez, "When I'm locked in and things are going good, I like to make sure I keep doing things right and I don't want to lose it. I don't like to let too many days go past without taking extra swings. I just want to make sure I keep doing it right."

Short hops

• In two rehab games for Class AAA Louisville, Wily Mo Pena is 0 for 4 with four strikeouts and a walk.

•The Reds signed outfielder Josh Holden after he graduated last July from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and he hit .348 in 26 games for the Gulf Coast Rookie League Reds.

Holden has military obligations as a West Point graduate, but the military gave him permission to play baseball professionally and he will report to Gulf Coast this week, fulfilling his military obligations in the off-season as a recruiter.

•Fans and media are excited about disabled pitchers Luke Hudson and Josh Hancock and their possible returns soon. It's the same as last season when constant attention was paid to Brandon Claussen and everybody wondered about his return.

He was 2-8 with a 6.14 ERA in 14 starts when he came up, so the return of Hudson and/or Hancock doesn't mean instant success or a rotation turn-around.

And, of course, there will be roster complications.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I love hearing about Harang and Lopez. Harang seems to really know why it is key to treat pitchers as not just an easy strikeout. Too often I think our pitchers really do not give enough respect (or research if the pitcher can hit) to their counterpart holding the bat. And as for FeLo, this is exactly what I want to hear about our young batters. With his work ethic, he will only keep getting better.

What Hal doesn't get regarding Graves is that it wasn't just a bad week or a bad month. He's been on decline since 2002 when he was so shaky they decided he couldn't close anymore. He was never going to get right here. They had 3 years. If he finds it with another team then the blame should fall on Don Gullett. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Graves trade with Marlins falls off

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

•Fans and media are excited about disabled pitchers Luke Hudson and Josh Hancock and their possible returns soon. It's the same as last season when constant attention was paid to Brandon Claussen and everybody wondered about his return.

He was 2-8 with a 6.14 ERA in 14 starts when he came up, so the return of Hudson and/or Hancock doesn't mean instant success or a rotation turn-around.

And, of course, there will be roster complications.
    There goes positive Hal.

The difference between Claussen and Hudson/Hancock is that the latter pair has had success in the big leagues. We're not asking for a lot from these guys. Just pitch better than the stiffs we've been watching which is among if not the worst in the league.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    What Hal doesn't get regarding Graves is that it wasn't just a bad week or a bad month. He's been on decline since 2002 when he was so shaky they decided he couldn't close anymore. He was never going to get right here. They had 3 years. If he finds it with another team then the blame should fall on Don Gullett. We'll see.

I don't see where he said it was just a bad week or month.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

OK, here's the quote. Tell me if you can't see a connection:

<<Look for the Marlins, Chicago Cubs or Washington Nationals to go after Graves.

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said something interesting about his closer from last year, Shingo Takatsu (0-2, 6.91 ERA, 8 for 9 in save opportunities), who has struggled as much, or more, this year than Graves.

Asked about sending him to the minors and releasing him, Guillen said, "He needs to work through his slump in the majors. If we sent down or released everyone who had a bad day, bad week or bad month we wouldn't have a team."

At last look, the White Sox lead the American League Central.>>

I'll play the role of Mr Obvious: Hal's point is Guillen's attitude is why they're in first place.

MLB ERA
    I can see your point, but I don't think Hal thought dumping Graves was that bad of a thing. He just thought the way it was handled was classless.(That's what he told me)

I can see your point, but I don't think Hal thought dumping Graves was that bad of a thing. He just thought the way it was handled was classless.(That's what he told me)
    That may be but his article today questions waiving or sending down "said player". Perhaps Hal wanted him put on the DL or worked with before sending him out.

If the decision was to cut him then I don't know how else O'Brien could have handled it. He was 2000 miles away on Reds business. This isn't like Tony Perez where Bowden had to walk from Riverfront Stadium to One Lytle Place. And Danny Graves isn't Tony Perez.

MLB ERA
    I guess Hal thought he should have done it before he left town or after he came back.

I guess Hal thought he should have done it before he left town or after he came back.
    Well the decision was made while O'Brien was out of town so I guess the issue is should they have kept Graves on the roster until O'Brien came back into town. This would have hurt the roster and IMO cost them a game..the one where Keisler pitched 2 to 3 innings and had the game winning hit.

I disagree with Hal. Graves isn't worth risking wins

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I saw the exact same thing as Sea Ray in this Graves situation. I tlloked as if Guillen was bad mouthing the organization and that Hal did not fail to write about it. Therefore may agree with Guillen.

Sea Ray, you were right though. Graves was horrible for a long time now. Since I have been a Reds fan, I have not liked Graves pitching. I have never been sure of single out to be made with him on the mound. I believe everyone in the league can hit him.