Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted to give ya'll some good news

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Wanted to give ya'll some good news

Reserve role: Felipe Lopez was just beginning to emerge as an everyday presence in the lineup when Rich Aurilia went down with a hamstring injury earlier this month. And in Aurilia's absence, Lopez proved to be indispensable.

So where does that leave the veteran Aurilia? It leaves him as an infield reserve.

"He's a guy who can play second base or short, if we need to give Felipe a blow," Miley said. "And he's got some experience at third, too."

Aurilia built on that experience in filling in for Joe Randa on Sunday, when he went 1-for-4 against the Pirates. He also made a nice play on a hard-hit grounder off the bat of Freddy Sanchez on the first play of the game.

"He came into the dugout after the first inning and said, 'Just like in [Saturday's rehab appearance in] Louisville, I got tested by the first hitter,'" Miley said.
    Keep in mind, I said good news....not great news

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Actually it looks great to me. Not having him as the everyday position player is awesome!

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Actually it looks great to me. Not having him as the everyday position player is awesome!
    I meant, in reference to him still being with the team

This is what I thought would happen when Aurilia started at 3B instead of starting at SS and moving FeLo.

I'm not thrilled that he's (Aurilia) with the team at all. What does he bring that Luis Lopez can't? Aurilia has made it clear that he's not comfortable as a utility player and he does not like playing 2B at all.

Last night he essentially played for Austin Kearns. What's the point in that? Kearns doesn't need a day off. That hurt us offensively and defensively. In a one run ballgame you wonder if that made the difference or not.

It's moves like this that really make me wonder about Miley. Aurilia's not making much more than Kearns or Freel so it's not front office pressure. It's Miley and I really have to wonder about his eye for talent.

MLB ERA
    I agree about not wanting to even have him on the team, but I think it is less Miley's decision to play him than it may seem.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I agree about not wanting to even have him on the team, but I think it is less Miley's decision to play him than it may seem.
    What do you base that on? I see it just the opposite. The Graves/Jimenez situations prove that the front office supports Miley.

Since Aurilia is making very little money, why would O'Brien care if he plays rather than say Kearns last night or maybe Freel another night? I don't see why O'Brien would care. I don't give Miley a pass here. We're in trouble with him as our manager, I'm afraid.

MLB ERA
    I look at Miley's track record and compare it to O'Brien's, and it seems to be that most of the team's problems are O'Brien's fault.

I think we're going to soon discover that Miley has been controlled by O'Brien more than many think. Just stay tuned.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

I look at Miley's track record and compare it to O'Brien's, and it seems to be that most of the team's problems are O'Brien's fault.

I think we're going to soon discover that Miley has been controlled by O'Brien more than many think. Just stay tuned.
    Miley and O'Brien both have very little track record in their present positions.

I was wondering if you had any signs that point to O'Brien controlling Miley and I guess you don't.

If Miley is willing to lose games to make O'Brien happy then he's not a good manager. A good manager will not lose games playing Aurilia instead of Freel or Kearns. He'll ultimately be judged by wins and if he goes down he'd better go down playing his best players.

I'm a Reds fan..I'll stay tuned...always

MLB ERA
    Like I said... just stay tuned. I'm thinking everything will break loose soon, based on a variety of reasons.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I love you CRF. Your suspense kills me though. But I will definitely stay tuned to this because this is a huge conspiracy of all of ours. i think every one of us here wants to get to the bottom of this, get it out of the way, and allow us to hate the right guy. Then allow the right people see that changes are made.

Sea Ray has it absolutely correct though. Aurilia is just taking up space now. My thing with O"Brien is that he will keep him on the team in order to cover up a bad signing. To save face. But, Miley's take is worse when he starts Aurilia. I really think this part is him. But I, too will be tuned as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I'm not thrilled that he's (Aurilia) with the team at all. What does he bring that Luis Lopez can't? Aurilia has made it clear that he's not comfortable as a utility player and he does not like playing 2B at all.

Last night he essentially played for Austin Kearns. What's the point in that? Kearns doesn't need a day off. That hurt us offensively and defensively. In a one run ballgame you wonder if that made the difference or not.

It's moves like this that really make me wonder about Miley. Aurilia's not making much more than Kearns or Freel so it's not front office pressure. It's Miley and I really have to wonder about his eye for talent.
    I honestly don't think that Miley's eye for talent matters at all here. What I think is happening is that Miley was set up to fail from the beginning. Dan O'Brien never wanted Miley, that's clear to everyone here. I think that Dan O'Brien is calling the shots and Miley is simply providing a face attached to the moves being made.

He was never a good candidate for the managing position with the Reds. In the minors his job was to work in veterans trying to recover from injuries [edited: OR "get back in the groove"], and to give playing time to up-and-comer's. The talent at the AAA level (some have called the Reds' AAA club "AAAA" which I agree with) dictated Miley's success. Oh, and his ability to make everyone happy. His eye for talent never factored in. After this year Dan O'Brien will be free to choose whoever he wants (or wants out of the managers he can afford), and rest assured it won't be Miley.

I could be wrong on this, but all the bickering (there is always more bickering going on than what is reported by the media) this season was in concerns of players that did poorly, and the front office. Not Dave Miley. They like him, for the same reasons his AAA club liked him.

Absolutely correct! Miley is a puppet, and that will be known publicly when the players' complaints start to go toward the manager next year. I'm betting $1,000,000 that Miley won't be manager next year. :p

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I don't think anyone could just be a face to other people's moves. No way someone should have to put up with that. I am not ready to think DanO is that crazy. He is close, but hopefully not that nuts.

I do believe that Miley will be done after this season, if not sooner. He is just not doing the right things. And if it is DanO controlling the lineups, then Miley would likely want out by then as well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietAcre
    Absolutely correct! Miley is a puppet, and that will be known publicly when the players' complaints start to go toward the manager next year. I'm betting $1,000,000 that Miley won't be manager next year. :p
    You are a millionare?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast