Thread: Reds have many players from 'Deep In the Heart of Texas'

MLB ERA

Reds have many players from 'Deep In the Heart of Texas'

The guys of Texas are on Reds

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

HOUSTON | The Cincinnati Reds' 25-man traveling squad is populated with more Texans than those that defended The Alamo.

Outfielder Adam Dunn, catcher Jason LaRue, pitcher Ryan Wagner, pitcher Matt Belisle and pitcher Randy Keisler all are native Texans.

For Keisler, though, this trip to Minute Maid Ball Park is special. While the others have played in Houston, it is a first for Keisler.

"I've always wanted to play here, and now I get the chance," he said. "I hope I pitch all three days. I'm from a little town about 45 minutes north of here, Richards, Tex., population 300. ... I think all 300 are coming to the games."

Belisle starts tonight's game and said several relatives and friends canceled ticket requests for Monday, "When they heard I'm pitching (tonight). They're coming up from Austin, about two hours and 20 minutes from here. There will be at least 11 relatives, maybe more. My plan? Pitch good."

Picking a position

Ryan Freel carries three game gloves and plays five positions — third base, second base and all three outfield spots.

His gloves are small, medium and large, "The smallest for second base, the medium one for third base and the biggest one for the outfield," he said.

Asked which position he would pick to play every day and his answer was a surprise.

"Center field," he said. "I love center field. I'm a high-energy player and center gives me space to get balls and I can let fly with throws. And I'm such a mental-midget — yeah, I really am — I like center because you don't have to think as much, just go get it."

Casey at the mike

For those who want the musical shock of their lives, buy a copy of the CD/DVD Oh Say Can You Sing. Eleven major-league baseball players recorded songs and the product is sold for charity.

Singing on the CD is Reds first baseman Sean Casey, singing good ... singing great. Honest. He sings Toby Keith's How Do You Like Me Now? and sings it stunningly.

"When I recorded it, they told me, 'Hey, you have a great voice,' " said Casey. "I had never sung in my life, not even in a church or school choir. I sang in the shower and in the car, that's it.

"My mom told me she listens to it every morning when she gets out of bed and I tell her, 'Mom, get a life.' She has made certain everybody in Pittsburgh bought a copy."

Danny who?

When Aaron Harang pitched seven innings against Houston Monday, he became the first Reds pitcher to go seven or more innings in five straight games since Danny Graves went six straight from May 2 to May 31 in 2003.

That was the year manager Bob Boone removed him as closer and put him in the rotation, where he went 4-15 with a 5.33 ERA in 26 starts.

"I truly believe going from the bullpen to the rotation and back to the bullpen (at the end of '03) ruined my career," said Graves, designated for assignment by the Reds last week.

Farm report

• Knuckleballer Jared Fernandez (2-4, 4.23) held Syracuse to no runs and two hits over 62/3 innings, combining with Joe Valentine, Brian Shackelford and Chris Booker on a 5-0 shutout for Class AAA Louisville.

• Pitcher Bubba Nelson pitched three scoreless innings in relief and struck out three, but Class AA Chattanooga lost in 13 innings to Carolina, 5-3, as shortstop D'Angelo Jimenez went 1-for-6.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    It's amazing how most baseball players are from Texas.

Twins got lot of players from Texas.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully in a few years we can talk about Homer Bailey as being one of the Texas greats.

Anyway, I really have to hear Case sing now with that kind of review. Not my style of music but hey, it's the Mayor.