Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamilton is traded to Rangers for Volquez and Herrera!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Josh Hamilton is traded

Yes very true. Both Hamilton and Volquez have tremendous upside though. Hamilton just was the one to go because nobody really wants Dunn or Griffey right now. Well maybe Dunn but we need him.

Hamilton was definitely my favorite player on the Reds last season and we will miss that bat, that arm, and his ability to take a walk. He has the chance to be MVP caliber.

But Volquez looks a lot like his hero (Pedro). No way I can or will compare the two, but he looks sharp. I am very excited about this move for both sides.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Hamilton is traded to Rangers for Volquez and Herrera!

A few scouting reports:

Assets Shocks hitters with a change-up that cuts 20 mph off his mid-90s fastball. Works hard.

Flaws His curveball needs a lot of work and he seriously needs to refine his command.

Career potential Has No. 2-starter potential.

MLB ERA

I hate seeing Hamilton go, but it was inevitable. Wayne K been doing way too much to get pitching help and we all knew Hamilton was on the really short list considering Griffey is untradable and Dunn can't be traded til June. We also have Bruce who COULD be ready for CF action or Dickerson to take his place.

Honestly I hope this is more about getting competition in Louisville and in Spring Training more so getting Bedard. Bedard's going to cost a lot in specs and $. You have 2 solid starters penciled in, why not wait until spring training and see what you get from Bailey, Cueto, Maloney, Volquez, or even "incumbents" like Belisle, Shearn, etc.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Agreed man and I think Krivsky is done. He was asked by Seg Dennison on the radio tonight if he was done and he said "I think so, for now."

So I think he is done as far as making big moves goes. I think this offseason has been a major success and hopefully Dusty Baker does not screw it up during the season.

MLB ERA

I'm on the fence about this move. Volquez obviously has potential, but I'm slightly concerned he might not realize it. I need to see him pitch though before I can get my feelings on him completely known. If Bruce starts in CF, this move would be good, if not it's a "we'll see" situation.

With that said, it's certainly possible Krivsky has played his first hand in a game of Black Jack...
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

You think another move may be coming? This does certainly make it possible to trade a Cueto and Votto package (with a few more spect additions of course).

I like this move though CRF. We dealt of our surplus for what we need. Volquez is said to be in the caliber as Cueto and Bailey. I will miss Hamilton like crazy, but I am happy to have this return.

I doubt Bruce starts in CF honestly. Even if he makes the team out of ST, Dusty Baker has given me no reason to believe he would start him. I think this will be a huge stress on our parts during ST. But I see Bruce starting in CF for the Bats next season until Krivsky feels it is time. At which point it will have to be explained that Bruce must get his ABs at the big league level.

MLB ERA

If Bruce makes the team out of ST, I think he will definitely start. If not, hopefully a FA, as Hopper starting in CF would not make me a happy camper.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

Both teams got what they needed in this deal. The Rangers pick up a guy to hit in the middle of their line-up, unless they need Hamilton's speed at the top, and the Reds pick up some arms. There is always a risk picking up a pitcher from the Rangers though. Somewhere between prospect and major leaguer, they all seem to disconnect. Volquez seems like he might be the exception, though. His stuff appears to be "for real" and a change of scenery could be just what he needs to become the pitcher the Rangers thought he would be.
    I like the deal from both teams' perspective.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    I'm on the fence about this move. Volquez obviously has potential, but I'm slightly concerned he might not realize it. I need to see him pitch though before I can get my feelings on him completely known. If Bruce starts in CF, this move would be good, if not it's a "we'll see" situation.

With that said, it's certainly possible Krivsky has played his first hand in a game of Black Jack...
    The word is his command was coming around late last season and if that's so all he needs to do is get better command of that curveball and he is set. My guess is he currently sits at #4 in the rotation behind Harang, Arroyo and Belisle and ahead of Homer/Cueto.

I will mish Josh Hamilton but I'm glad we got a guy with some promise. Just look at Krivsky's track record so far, he simply put rarely if ever misses on a deal. If anyone wants to argue that he lost "the trade" they can on the basis of not getting a bigger return for Kearns and Lopez who may have had better value than what he got. But at this point Bray looks to have a pretty solid future ahead of him and Kearns/Lopez do not look very promising. So besides that he has completely stolen a host of good/exceptional players for next to nothing. All while not adding much payroll now or in the near future.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12