Thread: Belisle excited by chance to start in front of family and friends

MLB ERA

Belisle excited by chance to start in front of family and friends

Belisle gets call to start

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | — Matt Belisle's relatives from Austin, Texas, planned to be in Houston the next three days and, who knows, they might even get to see him pitch an inning or two out of the bullpen.

Wrong. They'll get to see him start Tuesday for the Cincinnati Reds against the Houston Astros.

Belisle was told Sunday morning by bullpen coach Tom Hume and Belisle broke into a broad grin.

"That'll be fun, even more fun than usual, because now I can call my friends and relatives to tell them I'm starting," he said. "At least 15 friends and relatives were going to be there and now they'll probably come out of the woodwork."

As Belisle talked, bullpen resident David Weathers walked by and said, "That's right, just leave us all high and dry in the bullpen."

Belisle, a starter most of his professional career in the minors and during his brief time in the majors, has pitched mostly out of the bullpen for the Reds this year.

On Wednesday morning, Belisle arrived at the ballpark expecting another leisurely day in the bullpen. He hadn't pitched much. But scheduled starter Aaron Harang showed up with the flu and pitching coach Don Gullett handed Belisle a ball and said, "You're it today."

Belisle held the Washington Nationals to two runs and five hits over six innings and was the winner.

This time he knows 24 hours ahead of time, this time a replacement for rookie Elizardo Ramirez, 0-3 with a 7.13 ERA in four starts.

"I like to know so I can be prepared," Belisle said. "Emergency starts are great if you are in the bullpen, but if I'm going to start I'd like to know."

That doesn't mean Belisle abhors life in the bullpen. Actually, he enjoys it.

"It is kind of neat knowing that every day you put on your cleats you might get to pitch," he said. "I really don't know which I like best . . . just pitching."

Good opportunity

After splitting four games with the Pirates to remain in fifth place, two games behind the fourth-place Pirates, the Reds are afforded the chance to do themselves some good.

They open a six-game trip today against two last-place teams, three in Houston (last in the NL Central) and three in Denver against the Colorado Rockies (last in the NL West).

Stranger at third

Rich Aurilia's stay in Class AAA Louisville was brief, one game, by his own insistence.

He played nine innings for the Bats Saturday and was back in Cincinnati Saturday night. On Sunday morning he was stunned to see his name on the lineup card, playing third base.

"I am in the lineup?" he said to writers when he walked into the clubhouse. "Why would anybody want to let me know?"

Aurilia didn't want even the one-day rehab in the minors and said, "I've been on the disabled list four or five times in my career and never had to do a rehab assignment. They wanted me to stay more than one game but I told them one game and one game only. They weren't very happy about it.

"But I was ready to be activated and play last Thursday," he said. "Maybe it was good for me to take a mental break, but it kills you to be back home when the guys are on the road and you aren't there to try to help."

Aurilia is a shortstop, but played some third base at San Diego last year, "Because I was a utility player and they needed me to platoon with a lefthanded hitter. I'm more comfortable there now than I was then."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    "It is kind of neat knowing that every day you put on your cleats you might get to pitch," he said. "I really don't know which I like best . . . just pitching."

Gotta like that attitude from a young pitcher.

As for Aurilia....
    Aurilia didn't want even the one-day rehab in the minors and said, "I've been on the disabled list four or five times in my career and never had to do a rehab assignment. They wanted me to stay more than one game but I told them one game and one game only. They weren't very happy about it.
    Glad to see the front office roll over for him. Jeez.

AA ERA
    Unbelievable. When did he start making the decision. If they werent happy about it tell him tough luck you are staying in Louisville. This blows me away.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, you can tell Belisle REALLY cares about making every pitch as good as he can. He might not always do it, but he always tries his best. The same can be said for Claussen.

The Aurilia situation is a joke. It is really starting to seem like Aurilia is helping run the team or something. It's like management in afraid that they might upset him and that he has to play when and where he wants. I've never seen anything like it from another MLB team.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I've never seen anything like it from another MLB team.
    Especially from a player thats past his prime and his prime wasnt GREAT and his prime wasnt with this organization. They didnt want to kiss Larkins ass for all he did for the Reds but they are kissing Aurilia like he is going to lead us to the World Series. I really dont understand it at all. If anyone can explain this feel free. Because I sure dont have the answers.

MLB ERA
    I'm speechless on the issue, and you know I'm not often.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You know if Dunn or Griffey said this the media would be all over it. It's not only the front office who has been way too kind to Aurilia, so has the majority of fans and media. IIRC, almost everyone here was upset with Aurilia winning the job in the first place, before his primadonna shenanigans.

It's bad enough that this actually went down but it's unbelievable that he is talking about it so freely with so much confidence. He basically sounds like he expects the front office to jump when he says to and to do it without hesitation or regret. If he forces Freel back to the bench when Randa is healthy, I will be so upset. I am getting scared that a guy like Freel or FeLo could be traded to make room for him. What does this guy have that is so special? I am just at a loss for words.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thank God Aurilia did not start today. Hopefully this remains a trend. I am waiting to hear the quote now. "I need to start to get regular ABs. It's ridiculous that I have to sit right now after an injury. I have to get back in the stroke of things." Get back? You never were there.

AA ERA
    Thankfully Freel had that homer in the 9th or he may have got sat down for Aurilia.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    "I told Miley and O'Brien that I was a bit tired from the day before and I demanded to have the day off." Anyone see that quote yet?

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    "I told Miley and O'Brien that I was a bit tired from the day before and I demanded to have the day off." Anyone see that quote yet?
    No, who said it?

Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Especially from a player thats past his prime and his prime wasnt GREAT and his prime wasnt with this organization. They didnt want to kiss Larkins ass for all he did for the Reds but they are kissing Aurilia like he is going to lead us to the World Series. I really dont understand it at all. If anyone can explain this feel free. Because I sure dont have the answers.
    I'll give it a shot. I can't find any evidence to back this up but I think veteran players have the option to refuse minor league rehab assignments. So the Reds had no power to force a rehab on Aurilia. If Aurilia says he'll only do a one day rehab then so be it. That Players Union strikes again. The only thing they can do is cut him which they will hopefully do soon.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I was just joking Ray. Rich acted like he was in charge so I decided to have a little fun with it.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Thankfully Freel had that homer in the 9th or he may have got sat down for Aurilia.
    I have to say, that I think that the days of Aurilia playing more than FeLo and Freel are over... I say this, because if they were going to accomidate Aurilia, they would have moved Freel to 3rd, FeLo to 2B, and let Richie play SS.. instead they just had Aurilia play 3B... this tells me that he is a bench player now, not a starter, and that our Lineup is what it was yesterday(until WMP comes back)

i could be wrong, but i hope i am not

MLB ERA
    If Aurilia isn't a bench player, I'm going to have to take dramatic actions.