Thread: Griffey talks during pre-game meeting about HR, then hits one

MLB ERA

Griffey talks during pre-game meeting about HR, then hits one

Claussen gives Reds just what they need

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | On Sunday the Cincinnati Reds staged a fun-filled picnic that had everything but ants and Aunt Hilda's molded Jell-O.

The Reds frolicked on the Great American Ball Park grass to an 11-2 pie-in-the-face victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

It had pitching from Brandon Claussen. It had offense from Ken Griffey Jr., Jason LaRue and Ryan Freel. It had defense from Freel.

A premier pitching performance from a Reds starter is platypus-rare, so when Claussen walked Jose Castillo with two outs in the eighth, manager Dave Miley was booed when he left the dugout to get Claussen.

The boos turned into a standing ovation when Claussen walked to the dugout — two runs, seven hits in 72/3 innings.

"We were looking for 110 to 115 pitches, so when he got close to that we knew he wasn't going nine," Miley said. "It worked because he deserved the ovation. The boos for me? I can handle that."

A year ago, Claussen was coming off surgery and was coddled like a toddler and seldom permitted beyond 80 pitches, which is why Sunday's 72/3 innings are the most of his career.

"They've let the reins go and I'm ready to run," said Claussen, who missed a couple of starts with a sprained ankle and is not quite ready to run the Belmont.

"It's nice to pound a team early, then I can throw the ball and let 'em hit it," said Claussen.

The Reds scored one in the first and six in the second, including a two-run homer by LaRue and a three-run homer by Griffey.

Miley was pleased that Claussen didn't just play pitch-and-catch with catcher LaRue. He kept pitching.

"He had outstanding command and he pitched with that lead," said Miley. "He continued to pitch when a lot of pitchers just try to get by on fastballs. He kept mixing in all his pitches."

The pre-game clubhouse subject was home runs and the keynote speaker, naturally, was The Deacon of Dingers, The Bishop of Bash, Mr. Big Clout . . . Griffey.

Said Griffey, smiling broadly, "Only two parks can hold me, Turner Field (Atlanta) and Yellowstone."

The Reds have never played Yellowstone, so who knows? Griffey is homerless in 47 at-bats in Turner.

Griffey hasn't hit a home run in the expansiveness and darkness that is Detroit's Comerica Park, a place about which Dmitri Young said, "Is so dark it is like Gotham City," but Griffey has only 14 at-bats there.

And, of course, he has never played in Washington's RFK Stadium, but he has homered in every other standing major-league baseball park and many that have crumbled to rubble.

On Sunday, Griffey crushed his 19th in Great American Ball Park to go with 38 he hit in Cinergy Field and the 508 in all venues.

He drove in five runs, three on the home run, one with a sacrifice fly, one with a double, then was excused from the game after six innings, before dessert was served.

Freel had three hits, drove in two and scored one. When Griffey left the game, Freel shifted from second base to center field and burglarized a home run from Ty Wigginton with a spring-loaded leap above the bullpen fence.

"My first home-run robbery," he said. "I'm a little guy and don't get that many chances. But I do have a 371/2-inch vertical leap, highest on the team during spring training. And I used it all."

Said Griffey, "His jump? You've seen the movie (White Men Can't Jump). Yeah, it was a great catch and when you see a teammate do that, it gives you the chills."

As for staking Claussen to a 7-0 lead after two and 9-0 after three, Griffey said, "Any time you can make the starting pitcher comfortable with a lot of early runs is good. You give him seven runs it makes it easier for him and he knew what to do with them."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Loved hearing the comments from Miley on Claussen. Claussen is a tough guy and someone you can tell HATES to lose. I think he will continue to adapt his game because early on it wasn't working obviously.

And a sweet quote from Griff:

Said Griffey, smiling broadly, "Only two parks can hold me, Turner Field (Atlanta) and Yellowstone."

AA ERA
    i love seeing Griffey Jr getting his swing back. His swing IS the best ever. its so crisp. i think Jr will have a good year. surprise a few people even his self.

AA ERA
    LOL well i liked this quote on Freel.

Said Griffey, "His jump? You've seen the movie (White Men Can't Jump). Yeah, it was a great catch and when you see a teammate do that, it gives you the chills."

MLB ERA
    It's nice to have the luxury of real game recaps. again, as opposed to awful writing and short pieces.

And it's definitely good to hear Miley is having more faith in Claussen these days.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds_fan_4_life
    i love seeing Griffey Jr getting his swing back. His swing IS the best ever. its so crisp. i think Jr will have a good year. surprise a few people even his self.
    There really are few things in baseball that I enjoy more than a Griffey homer. Wouldn't matter if he was in a Reds uni or not (although that makes it much more enjoyable ). That swing is a work of art in all seriousness, so smooth and pure.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    It's nice to have the luxury of real game recaps. again, as opposed to awful writing and short pieces.
    For sure. Hal's recaps are the only ones I bother to read. Hal always has the most interesting quotes as well.

MLB ERA
    He makes each game come to life. Boring pieces just don't do it for me. They have to have zing and life to them.

Anyway, that quote from Junior was funny Redsfan4life.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    He makes each game come to life. Boring pieces just don't do it for me. They have to have zing and life to them.
    I agree. His recaps are much better than anyone else. He doesnt just add more words to the box score, you read things that bring it to life and that are entertaining even if they dont relate to the game. I guess thats why hes in the HOF.

Thats why I did not cast my vote for Claussen in the survivor series.A great outing by the kid who I believe will only get better.

And it sounds like the hard feelings about Graves have subsided in the clubhouse too.