Thread: Reds release Cantu!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds release Cantu!

Trent's Blog:

The Reds have released Jorge Cantu
    Whats going on here? I definitely didn't expect this. Maybe this secures a spot for Votto? I mean having Cantu and Hatteberg play 1B next year after a Votto trade seems reasonable.

At first, I am very happy to see the possibility of keeping Votto. But I sure hope this doesn't bite us in the butt later when we may have to deal him as part of a deal for a pitcher.

Interesting...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds release Cantu!

40 man roster space? Maybe something will happen today...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cantu isn't what he was in Tampa. No real loss.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Per Jon Fay:

The Reds released Jorge Cantu in anticipation of making a pick in tomorrow's Rule 5 Draft
    Ok so now we may have to think about that 1B from Cleveland? Right?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cantu was a fine bench player for us in the 60 or so AB's he had. Decent enough plate discipline and enough doubles that he got something going. He wasn't going to make much in arbitration and I would think Hatteberg would be moved this offseason (it's not like Cantu was going to take his or Votto's spot, just a bench spot.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Who, Whitney redsr? With his injury concerns and the fact that development wise, he is a ways away... I'd pass. I know we went with Josh Hamilton last year, but we all knew then that Josh Hamilton had rare talent (Whitney had a talent, but he wasn't poised to be the player Hamilton was.) I wouldn't mind going with him, I just really wouldn't get it.

I think we're going to go for an arm though in Rule 5.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per rotoworld:

"Reds released infielder Jorge Cantu.
    We imagine this means he turned down an offer of a one-year deal. Cantu hit .298/.382/.491 in 57 at-bats for the Reds, but the team didn't want to go to arbitration with him. They'll probably look for another right-handed hitter to serve as reserve infielder. Scott Hatteberg and Joey Votto are both lefties, making a job-sharing arrangement at first base difficult."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cantu probably saw he was blocked in so many ways (Hatteberg, Votto, Dunn if they trade A or B, etc) that Cincy wasn't worth it. He isn't the player he was like reefer mentioned, but he seemed to be at least getting on track with us last year so he probably wants a team he can go prove himself with.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Who, Whitney redsr? With his injury concerns and the fact that development wise, he is a ways away... I'd pass. I know we went with Josh Hamilton last year, but we all knew then that Josh Hamilton had rare talent (Whitney had a talent, but he wasn't poised to be the player Hamilton was.) I wouldn't mind going with him, I just really wouldn't get it.

I think we're going to go for an arm though in Rule 5.

Yeah it won't make sense to go after him in suspense of his being a replacement for Cantu. Cantu would be a nice RHB off the bench and now we lose that.

A pitcher? Sounds good to me. I know there are no Hamilton's out there this year, but I still trust Krivsky's judgement on the Rule V for sure.

The thing is, why didn't they just get rid of Castro or Stanton? Screw their contracts, just get rid of them and open your 40 man roster that way. I know the answer to that and it all came down to one symbol $.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

From Trent:

A clarification on the Cantu deal: he was arbitration eligible, which could have cost the Reds a chunk of change. Cantu's agent said he and Jorge appreciate the opportunity the Reds gave them and had nothing but good things to say about the Reds and the front office. Cantu can be claimed off waivers until Friday, and then he'd be a free agent. It's doubtful the Reds would resign him, because if they did, he wouldn't be available until May 15.

We're talking to the Krivdawg in an hour-and-a-half. I'll let you know what they say. It does give the Reds the opportunity to go after someone in the Rule 5 draft tomorrow.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This just sounds like a combination of circumstances to me. They didn't want to go to arbitration and also wanted to open up the spot on the 40 man roster.

Our team has not gotten better today Krivsky. Maybe it will be better that we lost him in the long run, but you want us to be better every day, and today it hasn't gotten better yet. In fact, it just got a little worse after losing a good bench player.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Keppinger to take shots at 1B?

per rotoworld:

Reds GM Wayne Krivsky said his team could use Jeff Keppinger as a first baseman against lefties next season after letting Jorge Cantu go.

That's assuming Keppinger doesn't become the starting third baseman in the event of an Edwin Encarnacion trade. Keppinger is a better option as a platoon first baseman than someone like Aaron Boone.