Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krivsky talking big?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Krivsky talking big?

From C Trent's Blog:

This is Krivsky talking to XM radio:

Krivsky was asked if there was a message in the Reds not being mentioned in talks for some of the big-name pitchers like Erik Bedard and Johan Santana and Dontrelle Willis -- "who's to say we haven't (been in talks for those players)."
    Here we go...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Krivsky talking big?

From Trent's Blog:

From things I'm hearing, the Reds might think more highly of Edwin Encarnacion than everyone else does. Just something to keep in mind. I think Votto's more likely to go than EE, but that's just kinda what I'm hearing. Although, if the right pitcher is involved.... Remember, the Reds have passed on Lincecum before -- there's something there they're not high on.
    So EdE will likely remain our 3B. I like to hear that very much. I like Keppinger, but I am not sure he is proven. Votto may have more upside than EdE though, but he would command more in a trade I think as well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Then again, it sure souunds like EdE is being shopped but the asking price is much too high. Maybe he does get dealt?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

John Fay report's on the latest from Krivsky:

The Reds haven't been getting mentioned much -- except may here -- when it comes to speculation about the top starters on the trade market -- Erik Bedard, Dan Haren, Dontrelle Willis. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to get those type of players.

"I never said," Wayne Krivsky said. "I've never said we haven’t connected with the clubs with the higher-end pitchers. I’m looking at anyway I can to improve the team."

Reading between the lines here, that tells me that the Reds maybe aiming higher than expected. Like they did with Francisco Cordero. If they are, Krivsky would do so as quietly as possible.

"Some people like to talk more than I do," he said.

I asked Krivsky if the Reds might be willing to trade pitching for different pitching.

"To get a quality starting pitcher you’re going to have to give up something of quality," Krivsky said. "That goes without saying. To subtract from one area where you might be weak in then substitute another . . . if upgrades you fine. But typically you deal from area where you have more depth to fill an area where you’re light.

"There’s not many teams that have depth in starting pitching right now. There are a few."

Reading between the lines again, that may mean the Reds are willing to part with Homer Bailey in the right deal.
    More and more I think Krivsky has something up his sleeve and may turn a shocker around. Be prepared to lose some players that you have been accustomed to dream about the last few years. But at the same time, have the new savior of the Reds come in and help us win now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Daugherty talked on the radio tonight about the Bedard discussion and also reported that Krivsky has been talking to Oakland about Dan Haren. But that they are asking too much for him. Which is expected considering they don't have to make a move and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade him unless they are blown away.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Daugherty also said that D-Train and Matt Cain were discussed but were not what the Reds are looking for. Aim High Krivsky! Aim High!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

More from Fay:

Since Wayne Krivsky said what he said in the last post, I've talked to several people who say the Reds are serious about going after Erik Bedard.

Here's what Krivsky said: "I've never said we haven’t connected with the clubs with the higher-end pitchers. I’m looking at anyway I can to improve the team."

That's a huge admission from him. Ordinarily if you asked about going after big-name pitchers, he'd say no comment.

That doesn't mean te Reds are going to get Bedard. But an offer of Homer Bailey, Joey Votto and another player might do the trick. (Jay Bruce is the guy the Reds just don't want to give up).

Again, it goes back to whether you want to play for next year or build for the future. Well, really, it's whether Bob Castellini wants to play for next year or build for the future. And given the Francisco Cordero deal, my guess is Reds are playing for 2008.

Tomorrow -- the last full day of the meeting -- could be interesting.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Daugherty also said that D-Train and Matt Cain were discussed but were not what the Reds are looking for. Aim High Krivsky! Aim High!
    Well that's extremely interesting. Matt Cain......not good enough? Wow he must be shooting high. I haven't seen Cain pitch alot but if that's true he is looking for an alreadt established ACE. Cain should be that and get there very soon, but Bedard & Haren are ACES right now.

Bravo Krivsky, you are making my faith in you come to fruition.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep, I am very excited about this. But in turn, I realize we will be losinga lot of future bigtime talent. Tomorrow will definitely be insane.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

BTW, you can listen to Daugherty's words here:

[urlhttp://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=paul_daugherty.xml]Link[/url]

got to Sports Talk 12/04/07 Hour 1

MLB ERA

More than likely more than TALKING big soon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Talk to me CRF

MLB ERA

Let's just say I get the impression they are going to do everything possible to land a pretty large fish.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they do sooner rather than later, though everything depends on what's happening with other teams.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

If it has anything to do with Bedard, it is reported that the Dodgers are offering Kemp, Broxton, and Kershaw. I am not too sure we can offer up more than that man.

MLB ERA

Depends just how much the team wants to win now.

We'll see, but I'm expecting something big.

Always more than one option out there if one possibility doesn't seem to be favorable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast