Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krivsky talking big?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Krivsky talking big?

Yeah, but the price seems to be far too high once again. Much like last season. Unless Dunn is put up, I don't see a match with a top tier pitcher. Or unless we do cough up Bruce.

Maybe they will just go after a #3 instead of a #1?

MLB ERA

I would trade any prospect for a top-tier pitcher, especially outfielders, which can be easily replaced.

Just ask the clown who used to GM the team and liked to get toolsy outfielders.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

So you would trade Bruce (which would trump Kemp), Cueto (Kershaw), and Roenicke (not quite a Broxton) for Bedard?

That may be what it would take to beat out the Dodgers offer.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Krivsky seems very unhappy:

per Fay:

It's looking like the Reds are going to leave here without adding a starting pitcher -- or at least a No. 2 or 3 starter type. Asked how it was going in his session with the scribes, Wayne Krivsky said:

"It's going."

That doesn't sound like a guy on the verge of landing Erik Bedard. You have to read shades of gray with Krivsky, but he seemed pretty confident and upbeat yesterday. Today, not so much.

The difference between getting Erik Bedard and a third-tier free agent is huge. Krivsky talked about bringing in "competition" for rotation spots. That smacks of Victor Santos and Kirk Saarloos.

Last-minute deals happen, and we're getting down to the last minute. The Rule 5 Draft is at 9 a.m. tomorrow. That's end of the meetings.

As for the Rule 5, the Reds have targeted "three or four" guys, they pick seventh, so they'll probably get one. That's why they released Jorge Cantu.

Speaking of the Rule 5: Look for Carlos Guevara to go. He was 1-2 with a 2.32 ERA and 16 saves at Double-A Chattanooga last season. The Reds left him unprotected. Why? He's only 5-11, 25 years old and he's had some injuries.
    per Trent:

The Krivdawg is still sour as he was spotted leaving dinner.
    Understandably so. I am happy to see he is really passionate in getting something done. But I also realize that patience is a virtue. Perhaps he is upset over the ridiculous prices for the top tier pitchers. In fact, that is what it has to be. I am disgusted as well. Can we say, time for Chris Capuano?

Either way, a SP has to come in. There is plenty of off season left and as Krivsky has said; "They (winter meetings) are overrated." A trade does not have to happen during the meetings, so we still have plenty of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12