Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds are interested in Bedard

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Re: Reds are interested in Bedard

The latest:

Seattle is close to signing Carlos Silva, early reports suggest 4 yrs 44 million. However they still have a need for another pitcher and apparently haven't given up on Bedard yet.

Apparently there is some discussion still ongoing for Bedard to Seattle the deal is something along these lines from them.

Seattle get's Bedard + 1 of Scott/Liz/Olson (Just some names being bandied about, nothing concrete as of yet.)

Baltimore get's Sherrill, Jones/Balentein, Clement/Morrow, Tillman/Butler

The most likely of which seems to be Jones, Clement, Sherrill and Tillman (Just incase your not familiar that's a CF,Catcher, RP and SP)

The most recently rumored Red's deal seems to be:

Red's get Bedard + 1 of Hoey/Bradford (Bradford seems less likely, both are RP's)

O's get Cueto, Votto, Stubbs, Janish/Loo and 1 unknown prospect (unknown is lesser type, I am thinking definitely a pitcher, Lutz was at one time a guy on the radar).

Bradford is a sub-mariner RHRP for Baltimore who insiders believe won't be dealt. Hoey seems to be the logical choice but it remains to be seen. It seems Seattle has kicked the tires on Joe Blanton as well as a few other under the Radar types, so perhaps their interest is fading a bit in the face of trading off such a haul of prospects, stay tuned. While the Red's have at least enquired about Blanton they seem to have one thing in mind and that's Bedard.

Again my take as always is that if Seattle is willing to deal Adam Jones (Their best prospect and a CF) then it's simply a matter of finding the proper other pieces. That said the M's could probably get Blanton w/o giving up any of their top 5 prospects IMO, which is in no particular order Jones, Balentein, Morrow, Clement and Truinfel. Which is what I think (and hope) they will do in the end.

The Cubs, Mets and possibly the BoSox and Blue Jays have/could enter the fray but the last 2 are a bit unlikely as the O's seem intent on dealing Bedard outside of their division. And the Cubs and Met's don't really have the prospects that the Red's do at this point. However the Cubs still seem to be the front runner to get Brian Roberts, which kinda stinks for us because that IMO would make their offense pretty damn good.

Roberts 2B
    Fukudome RF
    Lee 1B
    Soriano LF
    Ramirez 3B
    Blanco/Soto C
    Pie CF
    Cedeno SS

With Derosa being the last guy standing without a chair, however they may be able to package he and another spare part to get them a SS. Or maybe they even sign David Eckstein (don't recall if he signed elsewhere yet) and stick him at the bottom of the lineup and sub in Cedeno at times for defensive purposes. He's still a good bat handler at the bottom of the lineup. Myself though I'd probably just stick with Cedeno. Either way that front 5 is deadly.

Finally a couple of quotes from a guy with a guy on the Baltimore "inside" alledgedly.

Bedard to the Reds has heated up but the M's are very active as well, either way my guy gives the strong impression Bedard will be going by the end of the week to one of M's or Reds. Roberts to the Cubs is as close as being a done deal without actually saying " done deal".
    And

In response to this question:

Would the Cueto/Votto and prospects from the Reds for Bedard and Gallegher, Murton, and EPatt for BRob from the Cubs be accurate?
    He answered with this:

I'm not saying...I'm just saying....

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

We are inching ever so close. I am almost prepared for us to start lashing out about the talent we are about to trade. There will be a good argument for either side, but the bottom line is, our team will be better if we get Bedard.

I would miss Cueto greatly. I would miss Votto a lot as well. But we would still have Bruce, Hamilton (YES!), and Bailey. Our offense would still be potent:

Hamilton CF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Griffey RF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Hatteberg 1B
    Gonzalez SS
    Valentin C

Bruce will be in the outfield in the near future as well. This isn't as strong as the Cubs lineup if Roberts comes in, but then you have to look at the rotation we would have.

Harang
    Bedard
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Bailey

If Dunn could move over to 1B in 2009, we wouldn't be missing Votto that much. He is still going to be incredible, but if Dunn moved over to 1B, we would have a viable replacement.

MLB ERA

So much misinformation out there, it's pretty sad.

Oh well.

I still have no reason right now to change MY initial statement on the trade matters, which is Krivsky will soon do more than TALK big.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am sure Krivsky will end up trading for someone or else signing someone. Either way, I am happy. Of course getting a guy like Bedard would upgrade our chances to victory in the next few seasons. But keeping Bailey, Hamilton, Cueto, Bruce, and Votto would make this team very solid for at least 6 seasons.

Mark Prior is the top SP free agent right now, and the Reds are interested. But it might not be a good thing to go after since he is not going to be ready to go until July. And on top of that he is only looking for a one year contract so he can go to free agency after a big year. Still, I would look into it, but I wouldn't expect him to be our savior.

Are you guys fine with how the team stands right now? Maybe trading Hatteberg for a reliever and signing a Lieber to fit in the rotation? Would you guys be fine with that? You have to understand, keeping our big 5 prospects would be a blessing toward the future.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

What is this I am reading about a possible Bailey, Cueto, Votto, EdE trade for Bedard?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

mlbtraderumors:

UPDATE, 1-09-08 at 9:07pm: Rosenthal checks in with an update. If the Mariners would give up Chris Tillman, they could have a done deal. Baseball Prospectus' Kevin Goldstein ranks the 19 year-old righty as Seattle's second best prospect, giving him a number two starter ceiling. Rosenthal confirms that Jones is the centerpiece, while George Sherrill and Carlos Triunfel are in play.

Meanwhile, Jason Churchill of Prospect Insider says on the right-hand sidebar of this page that the Reds might step up their offer in an attempt to make a late play. He thinks they could give up Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, and a fourth player, which would be absurd.
    I know, I know, we all hate that site. But where did they get this from? From Prospect Insider?

Here is the Prospect Insider story:

I am hearing that the Cincinnati Reds might be falling for this "M's-Orioles Trade Talks Heating Up" thing and might have internally agreed to include Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto and a fourth player, possibly a young player from their 25-man roster.

That deal, depending on the fourth player, might be enough to trump any deal the Seattle Mariners are willing to make with Baltimore.

Update: The player Baltimore is asking for as the fourth player is thought to be 3B Edwin Encarnacion. In order for this to make any sense, the O's would have to trade current 3B Melvin Mora, perhaps back to the Reds to give Cincy a starter at the hot corner. But Mora is due $16.5 million over the next two seasons and would have to waive a no-trade clause.

The Reds would want cash to be included, and are almost certain to ask for a little bit more in terms of talent - perhaps a lower level prospect to offset the Mora-Encarnacion thing, or, if Mora is not of interest, even for a low salary, Baltimore may have to toss the Reds a bone.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    mlbtraderumors:

I know, I know, we all hate that site. But where did they get this from? From Prospect Insider?

Here is the Prospect Insider story:
    to lose Votto, Bailey, Cueto and EdE just so we don't have to trade an OF who hasn't made his ML debut.. I am at a loss for words

if the Reds do make that trade.. while i would be happy to land Bedard, the pressure on Bruce to be successfull would be far higher than the expectations that were placed on Dunn and Kearns..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

agreed, Bruce will not and cannot live up to those expectations. I'd much rather stand pat. Its pretty obvious that the O's are asking for far too much. I say we go after Blanton now. Surely, we could get a deal done with Billy Beane along the lines of the Haren deal.

For the guys mentioned to be traded for Bedard, I bet we could get Blanton and and Huston Street. And I still wouldn't do it.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    agreed, Bruce will not and cannot live up to those expectations. I'd much rather stand pat. Its pretty obvious that the O's are asking for far too much. I say we go after Blanton now. Surely, we could get a deal done with Billy Beane along the lines of the Haren deal.

For the guys mentioned to be traded for Bedard, I bet we could get Blanton and and Huston Street. And I still wouldn't do it.
    I think that's a definite we have likely moved on now. I think it's very possible that the O's and M's are very close to making a deal. Reports are Jones left winter ball a couple of days ago and headed to Seattle for a "physical". Jones himself verified on XM radio yesterday or today that he was summoned to Seattle but didn't go into specifics about why, but according to a guy who listened to that broadcast "sounded like he knew more than he was sharing".

Time to ante up or move on, my gut says we can't top the M's if they include what's being asked, at least not without including Bruce and that ain't gonna happen.

Joe Blanton is the only guy available (at least that's been made public) either via trade or FA that we can afford to obtain w/o doing any immediate damage to this years club while improving it. If Wayne doesn't go after him I don't expect anything big until the AS break assuming we are still in it and the young guns haven't exploded onto the scene.

Wayne go after him he would be a solid #3 and w/ Belisle makes a solid 4-some, 4 potential 200 innings starters will go a long way to a possible postseason berth. That leaves one spot for Volquez/Bailey unless Cueto hops over both in ST which isn't that far fetched IMO.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

That would be a good move for the Reds, IMO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123