Thread: Making a play for Willis?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Making a play for Willis?

SI.com reports:

• The Reds may make a play for Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis. Cincinnati finally has decent prospects to trade -- starting with pitcher Homer Bailey and slugger Joey Votto. Josh Hamilton, last year's feel good story, also should have good value now.
    Link

This is the first listed whisper of several after the big news stories. Please do not trade too much for the DTrain Mr. Krivsky. I MIGHT offer up Hamilton straight up, but that would be a stretch as well. And I am sure the Marlins are seeking much more than that. But I imagine Krivsky is trying to build the defense and pitching as much as possible, but I hope it is not at the expense of trying to get what seems to be a has-been starting pitcher for our young offensive talent.

Am I saying I don't want Willis? No, but we can't think he will come in and be our ace. He would be a decent number 3, but nothing spectacular considering his past few seasons on the decline.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Making a play for Willis?

The Marlins are still leaning towards keeping Dontrelle Willis for at least the first half of next season, multiple sources told MLB.com.
    Willis, whose trade value hit a new low because of his poor season, is likely to make $7 million-$8 million in his next-to-last season of arbitration. The Marlins are hoping to add more pitching to go along with Willis, Sergio Mitre and Scott Olsen in the rotation.
    This from earlier today.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Krivsky:

"We like Willis, do you have in interest in this list of players?"

Marlins:

"looks like a strong list, but we are probably going to have to keep him until the trade deadline next season. Unless we get a deal that we cannot turn down."

Krivsky:

"Ok, let us know if you change your mind, but you are going to have to act fast if any of these guys catch your eye."

Something like that likely went down. It feels good to know that Krivsky is talkig to many GMs though and is actively looking for a SP.

Thanks reefer.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

From the way it's written, it's pure speculation. If it was true, I'd go running for the little smiley with the gun to the head.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I'd be right behind you man. We all know the Marlins would be asking for far more than we should afford. I would stay away from this.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

From ESPN:

6:16 p.m., Jayson Stark
    • The Reds have asked the Marlins about Dontrelle Willis. But a deal between those two teams is unlikely. The Marlins are still placing a high price tag on Willis, so they no doubt would ask the Reds for their best young pitcher, Homer Bailey, plus one more player. And the Reds have little interest in moving Bailey. One baseball man who spoke to the Reds described their interest as "tire kicking."

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    6:16 p.m., Jayson Stark
    • The Reds have asked the Marlins about Dontrelle Willis. But a deal between those two teams is unlikely. The Marlins are still placing a high price tag on Willis, so they no doubt would ask the Reds for their best young pitcher, Homer Bailey, plus one more player. And the Reds have little interest in moving Bailey. One baseball man who spoke to the Reds described their interest as "tire kicking."

Which is exactly what they should be doing. If they were running around feverishly trying to get a deal done they would likely overpay. They need to kick tires until they find the right match that makes sense for both teams (or just ours frankly) that won't cost us anyone beyond Cueto or Votto, guys who I like but for the right deal I have no qualms seeing them dealt. I'll keep saying it Votto and Cueto seems like a perfect match for Joe Blanton who I really think is perfect for us.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.