Thread: Ask Hal: Is Dunn looking for a trade?

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Is Dunn looking for a trade?

Ask Hal on baseball: Is Adam Dunn angling for a trade?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

Q — I see Barry Larkin was in Great American Ball Park with the Washington Nationals and the result was the same as when he was with the Reds: His team lost all three games. — Dave, Centerville/Miamisburg/Beavercreek

A — Wrong again, Dave. Larkin was not in Great American, not in Cincinnati, not in Ohio. He wasn't there. Jim Bowden was, and wished he hadn't been. Jose Rijo was there (and didn't shower any fans with squirt guns). Jose Cardenal was there. Bob Boone was there (and didn't make any absurd managerial decisions). Jose Guillen was there (and didn't throw any bats through any clubhouse walls). And Frank Robinson was there, to his chagrin. Barry? Only the ghost of his leadership.

Q — Is Rob Stratton still hitting tracers to Mexico, and any chance he can learn to catch? — Steve, Miami, Fla.

A — As big as Stratton is, he doesn't need to catch. He can be the backstop. Unfortunately, he had surgery in early April is out for a lengthy period. Some of the home runs he hit in spring training needed passports.

Q — Do you think the Reds have discovered a new starter in Matt Belisle? — Ray, San Bernadino, Calif.

A — Belisle always was a starter. The Reds put him in the bullpen. He made a great start against St. Louis last year, then faltered and landed in the bullpen. Let's not rush to judgment on one strong start against a Washington team that brought matchsticks instead of bats with them. That said, he should get another shot or two. Anybody who can pitch one 1-2-3 inning is an upgrade.

Q — What are the wins and losses without Ken Griffey Jr. in the lineup, and the way the front office is treating the players I would ask to be traded if I were him. — Ted, Dayton

A — As of Thursday, the Reds were 15-27 with Griffey in the lineup, 3-1 without him. Last year's numbers are more meaningful: 42-34 with him, 34-52 without him. Give me the lineup card and he is in there every day. I keep asking, but manager Dave Miley tells me I screw up the press box enough. As for asking for a trade, he likes it right where he is. Maybe they'll designate him for assignment and eat about $45 million they owe him.

Q — Homer Bailey has been dominant in Class A Dayton with remarkable stuff and he throws strikes. He is only 19, but how long before we see him in Cincinnati if he keeps pitching like this? — Ted, Newburgh, Ind.

A — How about today? But if he is seen in Cincinnati today that's bad news. That means he is seeing Dr. Tim Kremchek for surgery. It has happened many times before. Don Gullett was in Cincinnati at 19. Ryan Wagner spent just a couple of months in the minors after he was drafted and landed in Cincinnati. You don't like to rush kids, but sometimes Margaritaville isn't the only place where you can waste away.

Q — What's up with Adam Dunn? He seems a little surly lately. Do you think he is angling for a trade? — Jason, Cincinnati

A — Dunn is never surly. He is one of the happiest-go-luckiest guys you'll ever meet. He was even laughing when he criticized management for taking his Archie Bunker chair out of the clubhouse. When you said angling, you used the right word. But the only thing he angles for is a fishing pole. If he doesn't have a bat in his hand, he wants a fishing rod.

Q — Fans resent the big money players make when they don't perform, but I don't blame the players. I blame the whole environment that has created this era of millionaires. — Bob, Bellbrook

A — Millionaires? Don't you mean multi-millionaires? And you are right not to blame the players. Would you say no if somebody said, "Hey, work for me and I'll pay you $30 million for three years." I'm still searching for a photo of a player holding a Magnum .350 to an owner's head while saying, "Pay me $50 million or you're a dead man."

Q — Tell Sean Casey to limit his activity to playing baseball because his comments concerning the steroids-testing issue and the Danny Graves issue showed some weakness. — Rick, Centerville

A — There's an amendment somewhere in our Constitution about freedom of speech. It's why I have a job. Players are people with opinions and aren't required to wear gags while in uniform. When Casey speaks, people listen, because it comes from the heart. You can disagree, I can disagree, but he can say what he wants. Ask Danny Graves. Oops, guess not.

Q — Rich Aurilia over Felipe Lopez? Another Dan O'Brien special. God help us. — Ron, Washington, D.C.

A — In fairness, Lopez hadn't shown late last season that he was ready. Aurilia was a one-year insurance policy until the Reds found a shortstop, Lopez or Anderson Machado or Ray Olmedo. Machado and Olmedo got hurt. Aurilia beat out Lopez in spring training. Now, though ... if Lopez doesn't play nearly every day then something is rotten in Zinzinnati.

Q — I don't believe the Reds' team chemistry is as good as what was written during spring training. In the last couple of weeks we've had Sean Casey say, "D'Angelo Jimenez was mean to me," and Dunn saying his lounge chair has to be traded. — Mike, Eldridge, Iowa

A — Chemistry was fantastic in spring training. They hadn't lost a game. When things go sour in the won-lost column, things happen and the chemistry turns into a stink bomb. After the Danny Graves fiasco, the team quickly won three straight over Washington. They were an angry mob, but they rallied together in the clubhouse. That's good team chemistry.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Sorry Hal but Aurilia did not beat Lopez in ST.

Lopez:
    .294 BA in 68 AB

Aurilia:
    .259 BA in 54 AB

What is wrong with this whole organization. Is everyone hired by the Reds blind? I am fully convinced that Aurilia has hypnotic powers. This is garbage!

MLB ERA
    I definitely disagree with Hal on that one. He at least seems to understand how awful Aurilia has been since the season started though.

I think O'Brien really is a robot and has some sort of hypnotic power.

Step right up ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls.... watch the GM do the robot!
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I agree with Rick from Centerville.

AAA ERA
    Wow, all of us were going to jump on the Aurilia beating Lopez out in ST

this years ST was a complete waste of time, if the Organization would have put any stock in ST... Stratton and Estellea would have both made the team, and Lopez would have been the everyday SS.. and would be willing to bet Freel would have been at 2B.