Thread: Reds Notes:Ramirez taken out of rotation for...unknown

MLB ERA

Reds Notes:Ramirez taken out of rotation for...unknown

Role means little to Mercker

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Kent Mercker was told he is on a path toward 90 relief appearances out of the Cincinnati Reds bullpen this year. And he was told manager Dave Miley said he might use him in both the eighth and ninth innings in some situations.

"Where do I go to sign my disabled list papers right now?" he said with a laugh.

Actually, it suits the 37-year-old Dublin, Ohio, native just fine.

"Nice," he said. "I don't mind them picking on the old guy. I feel good. I've never understood the word 'no' when it comes to pitching. That's my job, and when asked, I say, 'Yes.' "

Mercker has said yes 27 times in the first 48 games and is 1-0 with a 2.31 earned-run average covering 23 1/2 innings. "I've been told that an arm will rust before it wears out, and mine isn't rusty," he said.

Miley said the closer-by-committee modus operandi continues.

"Although, because Mercker is left-handed, I might have to use him in certain situations earlier in the game," he said. "And I could bring him into the eighth inning and send him back out for the ninth."

Said Mercker, "To be honest, I couldn't care less about being a closer or getting saves. I just want to get outs, whether it is the ninth, first, sixth or 14th inning."

Belisle for Ramirez?

As expected, Aaron Harang returns to the rotation Monday in Houston after missing a start Wednesday with flu-like symptoms.

Not expected was the removal of pitcher Elizardo Ramirez from the rotation.

His turn comes Tuesday in Houston, but Miley said he won't make that start. And Miley won't reveal who will make that start.

Matt Belisle is the likely suspect after his emergency start Wednesday in Harang's place — six innings, two runs, five hits. Ramirez is 0-3 with a 7.13 ERA in four starts.

The Rehab Boys

After nearly establishing squatter's rights on the disabled list, outfielder Wily Mo Pena will report to Class AAA Louisville Monday for an injury-rehab assignment.

Shortstop Rich Aurilia played nine innings at Louisville on Saturday, and his immediate future will be determined after seeing how he survived.

Pitcher Ben Weber will pitch a simulated game Monday in Louisville, then pitch an inning (or 25 pitches) in a game Wednesday.

Casey not at bat

First baseman Sean Casey thought he would be in Saturday's lineup, but after taking three rounds of batting practice Friday, his sore left shoulder felt tight.

He was not in Saturday's lineup, but he, Miley and Mann were confident his name would be on today's card.

"One more day," Casey said Saturday. "When I hit, it feels fine, but yesterday it tightened after I hit. I'd be OK if they let me take all four of my at-bats in the first inning."

Mann said Casey had to show that he could play first base, reach above his shoulder to take high throws, which he hasn't been able to do since colliding at first base Tuesday with Washington's Jose Guillen.

And the others

• Catcher Jason LaRue missed another start Saturday with a sore left wrist, sustained when hit by a pitch in the 11th inning of Tuesday's game against the Nationals, although he singled in his next at-bat.

• Third baseman Joe Randa was in the lineup against the Pirates for the second straight game, but he is running gingerly on a sore left foot.

"He still feels it and isn't running that well, so we'll give him (today) off," Miley said.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I wonder who is taking Lizard's spot. I am not too sure what to think about this and I will not start thinking that we may be getting a new starter via trade. Basically with that loser DanO, we have to wait and see.

Looks like Aurilia will be back very soon. Maybe even for tomorrow's game? If he starts over Felo, I will be done expecting anything for this team until DanO is gone. The more likely scenario will have Felo at 3B in the Randa day off with Aurilia manning SS and Freel at 2B. After Aurilia has his 0fer tomorrow, he will start at 2B the nest night in place of Freel. It will be Lopez leading off and Aurilia batting 2nd. Could we expect anything less?

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first read it. I wonder if O'Brien has something cooking here. It's odd that Miley wouldn't comment still and that we don't many choices with Wilson on the DL and Ramirez out of the rotation. It seems it would have to be someone through a trade or Belisle.

And the whole Aurilia thing makes me sick, but it is looking more and more like he might be starting and starting a lot. Aurilia at SS, Randa at 3B, Lopez at 2B. Freel will probably be screwed over AGAIN. I would refuse to play if I were him and that were to happen. Just ridiculous. And if Aurilia starts batting second again, I really might stop watching/listening to games this year.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I wonder who is taking Lizard's spot. I am not too sure what to think about this and I will not start thinking that we may be getting a new starter via trade. Basically with that loser DanO, we have to wait and see.

Looks like Aurilia will be back very soon. Maybe even for tomorrow's game? If he starts over Felo, I will be done expecting anything for this team until DanO is gone. The more likely scenario will have Felo at 3B in the Randa day off with Aurilia manning SS and Freel at 2B. After Aurilia has his 0fer tomorrow, he will start at 2B the nest night in place of Freel. It will be Lopez leading off and Aurilia batting 2nd. Could we expect anything less?

Also, you forgot after his 0fer he will be moved from the 7th spot to the 2 spot in the lineup.