Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds and Cordero reach prelimenary agreement

MLB ERA

Reds and Cordero reach prelimenary agreement

The Cincinnati Reds, moving toward the first big acquisition of the Dusty Baker era, are in serious talks with free-agent closer Francisco Cordero, major-league sources say.

Cordero is still talking to three clubs, but it is believed that the Reds have emerged as the front-runner over the Brewers and an unidentified third team.

The Brewers, who are on the verge of losing setup man Scott Linebrink to the White Sox, offered Cordero a four-year, $42 million contract, sources say.

Cordero, 32, would fill a major void for the Reds, who last season converted only 54.8 percent of their save opportunities, the lowest percentage in the National League.

By signing Cordero, the Reds could shift right-hander David Weathers back to a setup role. Weathers, 38, performed admirably as a fill-in closer last season, converting 33 of 39 save chances.

Cordero was 44-for-51 for the Brewers while going 0-4 with a 2.98 ERA and striking out 86 in 63 1/3 innings. He made the All-Star team for the second time in his career.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Rosenthal: Reds look to be front-runner for Cordero

Awesome! Please don't make this out as season's past and make excuses as to why we didn't get a guy. This is a need, so make every effort to make this happen.

I almost don't want to get too excited, because in turn I could learn to really dislike Krivsky if Cordero were not signed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reds are better off trading for someone who can close. 4 years for $40 +mil isn't worth it for a guy like Cordero.

MLB ERA

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Reds, Cordero reach preliminary agreement

4 years, 46 million

Lots of money to go to him, but it had to be done.

Very excited to hear this. Now if they could only find some way to move Griffey...

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds like we have him! I know it is a lot of money guys, but I agree with McKain, it just had to be done. Castelinni is serious and we know it now. I think the Milton money is being well spent here. We finally have a closer!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds and Cordero reach prelimenary agreement

Per C Trent:

Krivsky denies it all

Just got off the phone with Wayne Krivsky.

I asked him about the reports the Reds have agreed to a deal with Brewers closer Francisco Cordero, his response was, "Those reports are inaccurate. We haven't signed him, but we have had conversations with him."

That they've "had conversations" with Cordero is a big statement by Wayne. Usually he won't even got that far, so I'm assuming there is an agreement in principle, even though Wayne denied there was an agreement. Wayne, however, usually won't admit to a signing until all the contracts are signed and the paperwork is filed -- in triplicate -- to the Commissioner's Office.

I asked Wayne about any payroll restrictions and the fact that it seems like Castellini is open to opening his checkbook: "Ownership has given the parameters to work within, and it’s my job to make it work. In my time here, they’ve been very supportive. Bob and I have a great relationship."
    Typical Krivsky. But at least he admits there have been talks. But I know far better than to believe that the preliminaries are false. This is the way Wayne works as evident in the past. He must think we are crazy not to read between his words by now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am reading that there is an option year for the fifth year for $11 million. I wonder if it is a team or player option.

MLB ERA

Good signing for the Reds

They still need some starting pitching to go around Harang and Bailey, though

(and Homer's no lock yet, himself, either. You never know with hot prospects sometimes.)
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am definitely excited no matter what. I would have complained big time if something wasn't done like this.

So what do you guys think? Is this it for the Reds offseason? We all know we need a good #2 pitcher for sure. Is Hamilton all but gone now? Do we have any more money to spend?

I sure hope not, I would much prefer move Griffey or nobody. He will only be with us for 1 more year, I think we can juggle everyone around for 1 season.

GET NOTICED.

AAA ERA

If you guys do sign him you best treat him good otherwise I'll hurt somebody!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Hey blondie,

I know Cordero is awesome on the field. Did you view him as a good clubhouse guy as well?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I sure hope not, I would much prefer move Griffey or nobody. He will only be with us for 1 more year, I think we can juggle everyone around for 1 season.

I agree man, but Griffey likely isn't going anywhere. It would be the best possible move though for sure. Then we could keep Hamilton around to play RF. Have freed up money to go after some pitching as well. Or, will we spend more money despite keeping Griffey around and realise that we will only have Jr. for one more season and just go for it?

I think we should keep Hamilton around either way, and try to Juggle all the outfielders until someone gets hurt (which is bound to happen with our OF). I just don't like the idea of trading Hamilton and then losing Dunn and Griffey this off season.

GET NOTICED.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast