Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds and Cordero reach prelimenary agreement

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds and Cordero reach prelimenary agreement

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Why not just play Dunn at 1st base?

because we have Votto and Hatteberg for that. There isn't room for him at first base anymore whatsoever.

MLB ERA

Then move to the AL and put him at DH
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rijo, thanks for the updates man. So it is a team option. Very nice to see that as well. Apparently CoCo believes in himself and has the notion to sign for a team option instead of a player's.

And his being in the DR means we won't have the definite notice of the signing until the physical is done. Good find there Rijo. Monday or Tuesday we should be expecting the press conference.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Then move to the AL and put him at DH

Haha, or just trade Griffey to the AL and have them use him as a DH. Ha!

I seriously wonder if this signing has an effect on a possible Dunn extension. Maybe we can't afford to do it now? I like to think that BCast is ready to spend money and it is not a concern for now and they will address it before the season is over.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Reds need to trade Dunn if they are to go anywhere any time soon.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Reds need to trade Dunn if they are to go anywhere any time soon.
    Yes, let's lose our most consistent and best run producer for a pitcher at lesser value. People want to say the market is high for Dunn.... it's not, any return on him would lead the Reds to get something they need but still getting screwed in the end. The Reds would get much better value (compared to what they would give up) in Votto. Of course Votto is younger and cheaper, but the return for him would be younger and cheaper.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

There is a market for Dunn but the Reds were asking the moon in July for a one year guy who comes at a discount in today's market. If the Reds would make the right offer to a team where Dunn could get a contract, the Reds could get the pitching they need. Scoring runs isn't the Reds problem. Doesn't matter if you score seven runs when your pitching gives up eight. Votto would of course have more trade value but who is worth more to the future of the team. That's what value you should be looking at.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

To be honest, I value Votto over Dunn. I know that is a stretch especially since Dunn seems to be coming into his own and finally nearing his ceiling. His defense in the outfield is much improved although still below average and he greatly decreased his strike out ratio last season. But I was thinking about this the other day. Everyone has extremely high expectations for Votto and Bruce and maybe even Hamilton. But where do we expect them to be talent wise by next season and even into the future? Can we expect any of them to bring better production than Dunn?

All I know for now is that we have had too many would be studs that have not worked out over the past 5 years or so. (Namely Kearns, Felo, Wagner, Howington, Gruler...) and I am sure I have missed some as well. But right now it seems as if we have a plethora of young talent coming in and we have to expect at least one of them to become a serious stud. Is Votto that guy? Or perhaps it is Bruce? Either way, we have to be open minded enough to realize we have no clue how they will perform at the major league level.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    You keep saying new owner, new owner but the Reds still made their closer their highest paid player. Not too smart and just who else is this team going to add through free agency? Are they going to overpay for Silva? Lohse? This team needs pitching like Griffey needs new legs but spending all of that cash on a guy who will pitch 70 innings is just silly for this team.
    And they upgraded a serious need, while at the same time shifting other bullpen roles.

Just because there aren't many quality starters out there doesn't mean adding to the bullpen is a bad decision. Trades can happen. Guys can be promoted who are developing in the minors. And I expect those type of additional moves.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Didn't say adding to the bullpen was a bad decision. It was a serious weakness that needed fixing. I just didn't think making the closer the highest paid player was the way to go about it. Could have traded for one and still shifted bullpen roles.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Congrats. Hope he does well for you guys. He is NOT pitching in a pitcher friendly park though, so be patient with him.

He he is good, he is good. But he tends to struggle on the road and with his confidence at times, especially after a blown save situation.

99% of the time he does come back strong, so yes be patient he will do you guys proud.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I guess the biggest question is whether we can mix our feelings with that of reefer's with additional moves. Maybe Cordero is one of our highest paid players because the Redshave finally decided to go after a premier free agent. They addressedtheir need with that money as well. They did in fact do the best possible thing they could do with the money being spent on Cordero.

If we were to gain another player with a similar salary, then could we be convinced that this team is no longer worried about player contracts?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

eh, if i was a reds fan, i wouldnt be happy with this signing. looking at his home/road splits, I wouldnt like it.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123