Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds and Cordero reach prelimenary agreement

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds and Cordero reach prelimenary agreement

Absolutely and 100% agree man. Hamilton just has far too much potential to trade away right now. He would be far too undervalued on the trade market. And if he does in fact suck it up this season (which I highly doubt) it wouldn't cost us much of anything. He comes so cheap right now which gives him greater value for us right now than any other outfielder. Not only that, is still has that celing to reach which could be unbelievable.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think this is a terrible deal for the Reds, terrible might be harsh but its not good. They spent way too much money on a closer when Weathers could have done practically the same job for a whole lot cheaper. I think the Reds were better off trading for another Cordero who will make a lot less money. Freel and Hamilton have been on the block and I'm sure the Nationals would have given Rauch and Cordero. Too much money for the Reds to be spending on a closer. I know the Reds had a horrible bullpen but a trade should have been the way to go. Your closer is now the highest paid player on the team. And why is Cordero going from the Brewers who will be contenders for the next few years to the Reds and all for a million more per year? Not smart on his part either.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

You have a point for sure and it is the same point many have. But you have to realize that we still have Weathers as well. Include Burton in that mix and we still only have three decent to good arms in the pen.

No doubt, acquiring a Cordero or Rauch from the Nats could have been done, but Francisco is far better than the likes of those two. This signing shows the fans that the front office knows that we need the best possible arm we could get into our bullpen. And they did that. Rauch or Chad Cordero would have been status quo and definitely not worth a Hamilton. Freel for sure, but not Hamilton. Not to mention the bad blood between the two GMs (Krivsky and Bowden).

I see your point and it is valid, but right now it is far too early to worry about money when we are not sure where the payroll will be come April 1st. Our owner is a competitor and although he was a bit more patient than we all anticipated, he may be ready to go big.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I disagree that Francisco is far better than Chad. Chad is cheaper, seven years younger and has just 49 less saves than Francisco. Plus two arms of that caliber helps a lot more than one. Getting a good setup guy to go along with Burton and Weathers plus a good closer is hardly the status quo. And they would definitely be worth a Hamilton. I know you guys fell in love with this guy and he is an amazing story but is still a risky player. There is a reason the Reds are fielding offers for him because they don't think he will ever be healthy enough to be a full time starter. If you guys are happy that's great but I see this one biting them in the ass like Milton.

Francisco Cordero is a very good relief pitcher, probably one of the best outside of the elite tier (Nathan, Papelbon, Rivera at times, K-Rod).

With that said, last year, that would have been well over 10% of the team's salary spent on a closer...kind of hurtful. Hell, that's more than Dunn made last year and he hit 40 HRs
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I think this is a terrible deal for the Reds, terrible might be harsh but its not good. They spent way too much money on a closer when Weathers could have done practically the same job for a whole lot cheaper. I think the Reds were better off trading for another Cordero who will make a lot less money. Freel and Hamilton have been on the block and I'm sure the Nationals would have given Rauch and Cordero. Too much money for the Reds to be spending on a closer. I know the Reds had a horrible bullpen but a trade should have been the way to go. Your closer is now the highest paid player on the team. And why is Cordero going from the Brewers who will be contenders for the next few years to the Reds and all for a million more per year? Not smart on his part either.

Except the save stat is very overrated. Also, this moves everyone else back a notch in the pen. It's the classic domino effect. Weathers and Burton will now be the 7th/8th innings guys, which will in turn make the starting rotation better.

This guy is actually an IMPACT arm.

And why would they trade someone for a closer when they likely have plenty of money to work with?

I expect this to be the first in a series of free agent moves AND trades to upgrade the team in the offseason.

I tried to explain how big of a signal the Dusty move was when it happened, but some didn't seem very confident. Maybe they will reach that point by the time the season begins.

I'd also like to add that perhaps as part of the discsusion, Cordero was told he would NOT be the only added player to the team. It just doesn't make sense to me that an extra $1 million per year made THAT much of a difference for someone who felt the team he was coming to had little chance.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I disagree that Francisco is far better than Chad. Chad is cheaper, seven years younger and has just 49 less saves than Francisco. Plus two arms of that caliber helps a lot more than one. Getting a good setup guy to go along with Burton and Weathers plus a good closer is hardly the status quo. And they would definitely be worth a Hamilton. I know you guys fell in love with this guy and he is an amazing story but is still a risky player. There is a reason the Reds are fielding offers for him because they don't think he will ever be healthy enough to be a full time starter. If you guys are happy that's great but I see this one biting them in the ass like Milton.
    Three big differences:

No. 1 - Different owner
    No. 2 - Different manager
    No. 3 - Francisco is actually a VERY good pitcher. Milton never was, even in his best year
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
    Francisco Cordero is a very good relief pitcher, probably one of the best outside of the elite tier (Nathan, Papelbon, Rivera at times, K-Rod).

With that said, last year, that would have been well over 10% of the team's salary spent on a closer...kind of hurtful. Hell, that's more than Dunn made last year and he hit 40 HRs
    The key part here is "LAST YEAR."

This is an unsatisfied owner with a new and very high-profile manager that is known not to hold back when it comes to asking for players. Look at some of his past teams.

I tried to explain this angle of the Dusty move when it happened, but some would not hear of it. Maybe their ears will have been q-tipped by the time the season begins.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

I gotta say, as much as I believed Krivsky and company would make a move to better the back of the pen am I surprised at this. But as much as they paid and it was too much make no mistake, it really was well worth it for us. A few points here to clarify some things.

#1 It's 4 yrs for 46 million with a 5th yr TEAM option for approximately another 11 million. This is real big if Francisco has that carrot at the end to maintain a professional lifestyle.

#2 It's not yet done, he has to pass a physical which will be done Monday or Tuesday in Cincy. CoCo (his nickname) is currently at home in the D.R. This is a big hurdle as I am sure Wayne has learned his lesson about due diligence with regards to injuries.

#3 It was huge to get that back end arm to move up the remaining guys to a more suitable role. Burton to set-up, Weathers and Bray to the 7th makes this pen a whole lot better not just a smidge. This is of course assuming no one has a Coffeylike demise in the middle of 2 seasons, Burton I am talking about you, mainly.

So in essence it may have been too much for one guy but in reality it was almost like buying a whole new pen. Which to this Reds fan is well worth it.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Hey blondie,

I know Cordero is awesome on the field. Did you view him as a good clubhouse guy as well?
    Coco is a big team player, but what I've liked from day one is he's very spirited as well. He crosses his chest and prays to the Heavens every time he starts and closes an inning. He will be missed if the Crew can't hang on to him. They will try very hard but I think he's gone. If he goes to the Reds I hope he does you guys some good. Coco had some bad games mind you, but his saves are still always great to watch. You never know what he's going to be pitching either...He lowers his arm to the mound before it goes into the glove. Good Luck.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Something to note on CoCo, his velocity is nasty. FB sits at about 95-96 and he has topped out on occassion at 100 MPH. 7-4-07 and I believe 7-7-07 were 2 such occassions. He also throws a slider right around 88 MPH.

Here's a link to a breakdown of him in a few different ways if you like graphs and such.

Francisco Cordero Player Card

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

AAA ERA

Yep very true. That's what I love most.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Congrats. Hope he does well for you guys. He is NOT pitching in a pitcher friendly park though, so be patient with him.

He he is good, he is good. But he tends to struggle on the road and with his confidence at times, especially after a blown save situation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post

I'd also like to add that perhaps as part of the discsusion, Cordero was told he would NOT be the only added player to the team. It just doesn't make sense to me that an extra $1 million per year made THAT much of a difference for someone who felt the team he was coming to had little chance.
    You keep saying new owner, new owner but the Reds still made their closer their highest paid player. Not too smart and just who else is this team going to add through free agency? Are they going to overpay for Silva? Lohse? This team needs pitching like Griffey needs new legs but spending all of that cash on a guy who will pitch 70 innings is just silly for this team.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I think we should keep Hamilton around either way, and try to Juggle all the outfielders until someone gets hurt (which is bound to happen with our OF). I just don't like the idea of trading Hamilton and then losing Dunn and Griffey this off season.
    Why not just play Dunn at 1st base?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast