Thread: John Fay: Reds looking at relief pitching

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

John Fay: Reds looking at relief pitching

I get the feeling that the Reds' emphasis for free agency will be on relief pitching because the talent pool is deeper than it is for starters.

The Reds got of the gate early last year by signing Alex Gonzalez. That could happen again -- before the market gets too high.

The question is will the Reds make a run at someone like Francisco Cordero (44 saves, 2.98 ERA), the best closer on the list of free agents not named Mariano Rivera. Cordero's going to get a whole lot of money.

My guess that the payroll would be in the $75 million range may have been low. The club is going get to more in revenue-sharing and luxury tax, so maybe they can shop with the big boys.
    These are the things I have been looking for. All too often have we heard the same old story. "We will increase the payroll." Followed by, "the payroll increase was legit, but it just means the players on our roster are making more money. There really isn't any money for free agents though."

Now, that second quote has only been an explored thinking. A hypothesis gathered from many who have seen the same old story with the same results.

Once again, Krivsky isn't talking, so he is either highly trained in concealed operations or our very own beat writers and reporters are not digging deep enough. I am sure there is a reason for the latter to be one option (because they are likely being threatened with their careers if they get too pushy), and the concealment thought is just a matter of speaking but I have to hand it to our GM, he is sneaky.

So, where does this leave us? We are still sitting back with our arms crossed because we have no news to inject into our minds. This post from John Fay is one of the first tidbits of possible optimism. I will go with this and hope we hear something of a possible rumor before the week is out. Perhaps, this is just the beginning of something coming soon?

MLB ERA

Re: John Fay: Reds looking at relief pitching

*sigh*

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    *sigh*
    "ugh" Why the long face?

MLB ERA

Because the Reds still aren't getting it.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Please, no Cordero.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

why not Cordero? The only thing I can think of is that he will be expensive. But the dude was sick last year.

MLB ERA

The Reds are not a good enough team that Cordero, at his cost, won't make them substantially better.

An expensive free agent closer is a flourish, not a keystone.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bingo, and Cordero's number would likely dip once out of RFK (even if he was closer to a neutral pitcher last year, his splits till differed quite a bit.)

The bullpen needs improving, but it's not like David Weathers was a dog last year and there are better ways to spend that cash if the Reds want to get a lot better, a lot sooner. Worry about the big name closer with the price tag to match once the Reds are a closer away from serious competition.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Got the wrong Cordero there Mission

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, you do have the wrong guy, but you have a point as well. Shelling out a lot of money for a closer does not spell sucess. Well, at least for most teams. But what was wong with this team more than anything this past season? And the season before that? And before that even? The bullpen has been weak since we lost Sulli and since Graves was worthy of the name baby assassin.

Cordero would bring the closer issue to a non issue and will be there to allow Burton, Bray, Cout etc. to pitch in better suited spots. Besides, who else do they spenfd the money on? Unless there is a trade out there for Bedard or Santana, I make this move happen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I heard the Nats were moving a Cordero/Rauch package which would be great for any team.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Got the wrong Cordero there Mission
    Chad Cordero is like Reds Nation's wet dream. The funny thing is, I read Francisco but I still typed that, I guess it just didn't compute.

I think I need to be sent into the shop for repairs.