Thread: Hot stove rumors, notes

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Hot stove rumors, notes

Just some things I found perusing that make for some solid discussion. Mostly Reds related, but some other nuggets as well.

This one from about a few days to a week ago:

Rick (Chicago): Any market for Ken Griffey Junior either this offseason or next June after #600? If so, what kind of return do you envision? His legs are clearly shot though the bat speed is still there. With Jay Bruce essentially ready, Castellini publicly pining for a Dunn extension and Josh Hamilton OPS'ing .920 after a miraculous comeback, he's got to be the odd-man out, right?

Rob Neyer: Right now, Bruce is the odd man out. But if the Reds are willing to eat a chunk of Griffey's contract -- he's owed $12.5 million in '08, but roughly half of that is deferred -- he'd make an interesting DH for somebody like the Mariners, or the Yankees, or even the Twins.

Kenneth (Macon, Ga): Rumors are that Griffey may be on the way out of Cincy. Where might he go? Some rumblings going on that Atlanta may be a possible destination as a filler for a few years before the young guys are ready for the OF, any truth to this?

Jayson Stark: He has interest in going there. But I don't sense that the feeling is mutual. So don't bet on it.
    Dave (Erie, PA): Jerry, do you think theres any chance that griffey goes to the braves? And what would both sides have to do to make it happen?

Jerry Crasnick: Dave,

The Griffey to the Braves rumor has gone on for about five years now, Now that he has only one year left on his contract (at $12.5 million), it makes more sense. But the Braves need a center fielder, and Griffey's defense in center declined enough that I'm not sure he'd be the answer in Atlanta. I also imagine the Braves would want Cincinnati to pick up some of that salary. In short, I still don't see it happenin.'

Josh (Dayton): With a full season of work under their belts after this year...could Jay Bruce, Votto, Homer Bailey, and Johnny Cueto push the Reds into serious contention in 09?

Keith Law: Sure, but it sounds like neither Bruce nor Votto will get that full season of work in 2008.

Some of the interesting names that came up during the GM meetings included A.J. Burnett (because he can opt out after the 2008 season), Ryan Freel, Jon Garland, Brian Fuentes, Dontrelle Willis, Noah Lowry, Ian Snell, Erik Bedard ("Hey, they didn't say no when we brought him up," says one baseball official), Joe Crede (the Johnny Damon talk doesn't go away), Troy Glaus and even Delmon Young, although it would take an offer that included someone like Hughes or Clay Buchholz to even begin discussions.

Derek (Mpls): Keith--love the chats. Any way the Twins could land a decent OBP guy like Hatteberg in a small trade? It'd be nice to have a DH that occasionally hit a home run.

Keith Law: I said this in July - Hatteberg would be a GREAT fit for the Twins, and since Rivsy worked there it would seem to increase the chances of a deal. But I have not heard any whisper of just a trade.

Corey (Syracuse NY): Why is it that we all can see that Votto needs to play over Hatteberg? What does Hatteberg do well? How is it possible that their are "baseball" people who could possibly buy into Hatteberg over Votto?

Keith Law: Hatteberg came back so cheap it was silly not to keep him - but now they need to make the decision to bench him and play Votto, which they may not do.
    (Not real newsworthy but I found this guy's view on Dunn interesting)
    bk: Your a prospect guy, is can't miss Brandon Wood being second guessed suddenly? Even if he just guesses pitches like Adam Dunn his Home Runs should bode well to the Angels weakness.

Keith Law: Yes, his pitch recognition isn't good and I don't see him drawing 100 walks a year like Dunn. But if the Angels aren't going to acquire A-Rod or Tejada or another big 3b, they should find a way to give Wood 300-400 AB and see what he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he does have more walks in him, in which case, as you said, he's got value.

Michael (Portland, ME): Jay Bruce the real deal?

Keith Law: Yes. One of the top 5 prospects in the game.

Paul (Cincy): Keith, was Hatteberg worth his 1.85 mil option to be a PH with Votto in the lineup?

Keith Law: I hope that they're going to deal him now and play Votto every day. Hatteberg at that money was such a good value that it made sense to pick up his option, but they have to cash that in via trade, rather than block a guy who's ready and costs 75% less.

Zach (Cincinnati): If there was an ESPN Classic for sportsnation chats, this one would definitely be re-ran once a week.....What are your thoughts on Johnny Cueto? Will he make the Reds rotation out of spring training next year?

Keith Law: #2 starter, spends most of the year in AAA. Bailey's ahead of him, and Cueto's not 100% ready yet anyway. I also don't like the idea of jumping kids past AAA to go pitch in a tough park like Cincy (or Colorado or Texas).

Other Teams notes that could pertain to us or they are just newsworthy:

The Indians are only listening to offers for Cliff Lee, but right now they plan to keep him and go into spring training with seven starters, including Lee, Jeremy Sowers and Aaron Laffey.

Adam (DC via Cleveland): Jerry -- hope you'll take an Indians question! The Tribe seems to be really in need of a power hitting corner outfield. To my mind the Indians have the assets to acquire someone. How likely do you think it is that they can arrange a deal, and who might they be able to get?

Jerry Crasnick: Adam,

There were a lot of Jason Bay rumors going around recently, and to my knowledge, they haven't been dispelled. He seems to fit the profile for what the Indians want: Young enough, reasonably priced, and with the potential to put up big numbers. Lets put it this way: He makes more sense than them running out and giving Jose Guillen a three-year deal.

Arizona is one of several teams that talked to Florida about Willis, but there is industry-wide concern about Dontrelle's ERA rising from 2.63 to 3.87 to 5.17in three years, and right-handed hitters had a .913 OPS against him in 2007.

Steve (Oakland): Will Billy Beane shock the baseball world this winter ? What does he do ?

Jerry Crasnick: Steve,

Billy Beane is monitoring the health of his many injured players (Chavez, Harden, Duchsherer, etc.). At some point this winter, he'll decide whether his team is prepared to make a run in 2008, or if it might be good to trade off some parts and retrench. One thing Beane never does it stand still. Either way, I expect you'll be hearing Joe Blanton's name tossed around a lot in the coming weeks.
    Is Haren available?
    Nov 9 - A's GM Billy Beane might make ace Dan Haren available in order to replenish the A's thin farm system with two or three young players, the Boston Globe reports. To get Haren, though, the Red Sox would have to be willing to part with either Jon Lester or Clay Buchholz.

Rolen to Twins?
    Nov 9 - The Twins and Cardinals are discussing a deal that would send third baseman Scott Rolen to Minnesota, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports. Rolen has three years and $33 million remaining on his contract. The Cardinals are presumably asking for pitching in return, but they might not get much due to Rolen's injury history and the money involved.

Scott (Savage, MN): Buster Olney reported a potential deal between the Twins & Cardinals for Scott Rolen. Who do you think the Twins would have to give up to make it happen. Given Rolen's history of injury - is this a good trade for Minny?

Jerry Crasnick: Scott,

The Twins have a nice core of young pitching with Garza, Slowey, Baker, etc. Of those guys, Baker would be the most expendable for Minnesota. But I'd have to think St. Louis would want more. Rolen has three years and $36 million left on his contract. But if the Twins lose Torii Hunter through free agency, they'll have to add offense somewhere. And they can certainly use an upgrade at third base.

Blake (Durham, NC): Great chat Keith. What's your take on Garza's value? Is he the one heading out or will the Twins hold on all the young pitchers?

Keith Law: I think Garza's the one they keep, and Slowey and/or Baker are dealt (assuming they deal anyone - we don't know if Smith is as conservative as Ryan is). I like Perkins as a little sleeper fifth starter there.

Texas homecoming?
    Nov 9 - The Rangers have contacted Kerry Wood, expressing an interest in talking to the right-hander about a free-agent deal, according to the Dallas Morning News. Wood, 30, is a native of Irving, Texas. He was 1-1 with a 3.33 ERA in 22 appearances for the Cubs last season after recovering from shoulder problems.

Marlins want Kendrick for Cabrera
    Nov 9 - According to the Los Angeles Times, the Marlins want the Angels to include second baseman Howie Kendrick in any trade package for third baseman Miguel Cabrera.

The Marlins could ask for Kendrick and the Angels' two top prospects, third baseman Brandon Wood and pitcher Nick Adenhart, in exchange for Cabrera, 24, who would fortify the middle of the Angels' lineup around Vladimir Guerrero. The Angels could enhance their chances if they could negotiate a contract extension with Cabrera, who is two years from free agency.

The Angels and the Dodgers are considered the front-runners to acquire Cabrera, a four-time All-Star. The Miami Herald reports that the Dodgers, also in dire need of a middle-of-the-order threat, could try to entice the Marlins with players such as outfielder Matt Kemp, third baseman Andy LaRoche and pitchers Chad Billingsley and Clayton Kershaw.

Other teams that have expressed an interest in Cabrera are the Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Giants and Indians.

Phillies eyeing Japanese right-hander
    Nov 7 - The Phillies are interested in right-hander Hiroki Kuroda, who this week formally filed for free agency from the Hiroshima Carp, the Philadelphia Daily News reports.

A posting fee would not be required to negotiate with Kuroda, who went 12-8 with a 3.56 ERA for the Carp last season. Kuroda reportedly has a good sinker and a mid-90s fastball.

A lot of gold for Silva
    Nov 7 - The Mets have plans to meet with Carlos Silva's agents, Barry Praver and Scott Shapiro, sometime during the GM meetings, Newsday reports.

Silva, one of the top pitchers on the free-agent market, could command as much as $50 million over five years, the newspaper speculates.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Hot stove rumors, notes

I seriously think Griffey has got to be theodd man out. He had a real productive season last year and that may be a reason to think he is even more expendable.

Us Reds fans look at the big picture and say that an outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce is far greater than an outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, Griffey. If you dig deeper, we know that our surplus is in the outfield and at 1B. So, if Griffey does not get moved, who does? We know someone will be going, at least we should expect it. Afterall, we need pitching and these guys could bring a little something at least. Do we deal Hamilton? I say that if there was any one player not named Jay Bruce or Aaron Harang that is untouchable it would be Josh Hamilton. The guy is an OPS machine, And please do not tell me that you can find a better internal option for a CF. And do not think for one second that he does not have the range. Have you forgotten the ground he covered last season? Frankly, I would rather have Hamilton in CF than any of the free agents being touted for CF right now. A. Jones, Hunter, Rowand. I'll take Hamilton any day.

For me, the best thing possible for this team is to trade Griffey to an AL team for a prospect and slide Bruce into RF. Even pay a part of Griffey's salary. Use the rest of the money to get a reliever. How is that not better?

Lets see some good arguments.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I seriously think Griffey has got to be theodd man out. He had a real productive season last year and that may be a reason to think he is even more expendable.

Us Reds fans look at the big picture and say that an outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce is far greater than an outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, Griffey. If you dig deeper, we know that our surplus is in the outfield and at 1B. So, if Griffey does not get moved, who does? We know someone will be going, at least we should expect it. Afterall, we need pitching and these guys could bring a little something at least. Do we deal Hamilton? I say that if there was any one player not named Jay Bruce or Aaron Harang that is untouchable it would be Josh Hamilton. The guy is an OPS machine, And please do not tell me that you can find a better internal option for a CF. And do not think for one second that he does not have the range. Have you forgotten the ground he covered last season? Frankly, I would rather have Hamilton in CF than any of the free agents being touted for CF right now. A. Jones, Hunter, Rowand. I'll take Hamilton any day.

For me, the best thing possible for this team is to trade Griffey to an AL team for a prospect and slide Bruce into RF. Even pay a part of Griffey's salary. Use the rest of the money to get a reliever. How is that not better?

Lets see some good arguments.
    I agree that Griffey has to go. The longer he stays the longer the re-build takes place. I don't care where he goes (Seattle is the most likely IMO, with that void in RF Seattle currently has), but he has to go before Feb. 1st IMHO. And I don't really care what's brought back or even how much of his salary we have to pay (within reason of course). The main idea here is to put the best team on the field and Jr's below avg defense and declining offense ( I saw it but it seems few did) no longer will cut it. Move him and let's get on with the Bruce era. I know that sounds a bit too business-like given Griffey's stature but we need to start acting like an organization that wants to win.

As far as Hammy in CF goes, there are some who have convinced me that Hammy's far better suited for RF and that Bruce might actually be the one to play in CF to start the season. Bruce may actually have the better range currently and has played in CF plenty of enough in the minors to have a more seamless transition. He eventually though will be a 5 star RF when we can then move Hamilton to left and Dunn to either 1st or to another team whichever makes the most sense down the road.

I am also of the opinion that Hopper, Freel and Dickerson in addition to Bruce all could outplay Hamilton in CF as far as range, speed and the like go. However Hopper is likely a platton type eventually, Dickerson is still raw offensively (but has some tools) and Freel is likely on his way out.

However with all that said I am fine with Hamilton playing CF next year so long as Jr is playing elsewhere or for that matter even if Jr is not dealt.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Per Jayson Stark...

• The Reds are so convinced that minor league player of the year Jay Bruce could be ready for the big leagues by June, they're actively marketing outfielders to clear space. Don't figure on Junior Griffey or Adam Dunn changing zip codes. But the Reds are aggressively dropping Ryan Freel's name. And maybe most surprisingly, they've told other teams Josh Hamilton is also available in the right deal. "It really makes you wonder about his health," said an official of one team that spoke with them, "and whether all that time he missed took more of a toll than we thought."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I surely hope that teams are too concerned about Hamilton's health. That way we don't lose him. I have little doubt that Bruce will be ready by June. I think that sort of thinking is about perfect. By then, we will see which of Griffey or Hamilton is not carrying his weight and we would have to do something with that player. Even if that means trading Griffey to an AL team for absolutely nothing and even chalking up some of his contract.

If Hamilton can play a full season next year, I sure hope it is in a Reds uniform.