Thread: Griffey possibly to the Braves?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Griffey possibly to the Braves?

John Fay:

Interesting column by Terence Moore in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the Ken Griffey Jr. and the Braves.

Fred Wren, the Braves new GM, doesn't go into specifics but he does say the Braves are looking for a center fielder and probably won't go the free agent route.

"I would say that going strong in the free-agent market would be our least likely alternative,” Wren said. “I say that just because, with the young players we have coming (in the farm system), it just wouldn’t make sense to go sign somebody for four, five, six years when we have what we think are better players on the horizon. With that being said, the free-agent market probably doesn’t make as much sense as a trade. The trade market is probably the most likely way we’ll fill center field.”

Griffey jumps to mind.

That doesn't mean it will happen. But given what Wren said, it's worth keeping an eye on. Apparently Wren, like John Schuerholz, doesn't talk specifics. Neither does Wayne Krivsky. So it's all speculation at this point -- but interesting speculation.
    Terence Moore Article

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Griffey possibly to the Braves?

For me, I would much rather trade Griffey than Hamilton. Dunn is locked in for next season now. Bruce should be untouchable in any deal not bringing back Bedard. This leaves Griffey or Hamilton. Who stays? Who goes? Do both of them stay? That would be a mistake. If you dont get a deal in for Griffey now, you may never get to trade him. We have been saying this for years already. But we find ourselves with yet another outfield logjam.

Who would you guys want for Griffey from the Braves. Escobar is locked in with Renteria being dealt. We cant get pitching because they are in need of arms as well. So where is the fit?

It's Frank Wren, not Fred Wren.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This writer seems pretty clueless anyway, but it doesn't make it less of a rumor. Or at least it gives us something to talk about until the next rumor. The problem is, I still just cannot see a fit here. Maybe Ryan Freel or Norris Hopper would be a better suggestion. Then the Braves would still have their stop-gap for CF and still not lose mega dollars.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    This writer seems pretty clueless anyway, but it doesn't make it less of a rumor. Or at least it gives us something to talk about until the next rumor. The problem is, I still just cannot see a fit here. Maybe Ryan Freel or Norris Hopper would be a better suggestion. Then the Braves would still have their stop-gap for CF and still not lose mega dollars.
    Yeah I think Ryan Freel fits the bill.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Another interesting note. This one is from Lance Mcalister yesterday. Wren's favorite player growing up? One Ken Griffey Sr.

Just saying...

MLB ERA

With Lillibridge being groomed for center, and with Hunter being the obvious free agent option should the Braves choose to add salary, Griffey wouldn't seem to me to be an option.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think the writer was proposing a stop-gap for Lillibridge. Let him have another year in the system and allow Griffey to help the Braves now. This will be Griffey's final contract year, so it fits.

Torri Hunter, Andruw Jones, and Aaron Rowand are all available and they would be more appropriate for the Braves (well not Jones but the other two.) Or would they? That all depends on the market value for these guys. Can they get the soon to be 600 HR future Hall Of Famer for a lot less money than Hunter or Rowand?

MLB ERA

A trade in that sense would require the Reds to pick up some money and probably not take back much more than a B prospect in return. If the Braves think they can take the division in 2008, I'd support the decision. With that rotation, I say no.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, thats where this becomes difficult. The Braves need pitching as bad as the Reds do. The Reds likely will not trade Griffey unless we got pitching for him. Then again, we definitely have too many outfielders right now who all need to start. This organization has been in this before and we have our top two pitchers because of it. I think the Reds still need to make a move with one of our outfielders. That being said, we have to look at history.

Remember these moves. Jose Guillen got us Harang and Pena got us Arroyo. So, if we trade an outfielder, it would have to be to a team needing a DH or outfielder and has a surplus of pitching. The Braves are not that team.