Thread: Anticipation

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Anticipation

I will tell you what, I am eager to see what this front office is about to do. I am going into this off-season with a pessimistic attitude because of all the dissapointments the past several seasons. Why should this season be any different?

B Cast has said he is ready to spend money. Ok, we have been told the same thing before. Lindner raised the payroll from 45 million to 60 million in 2003 and what did we come up with? Nothing worth mentioning at all. Maybe that was because we had a different GM.

The free agent market is very weak? I completely agree here, but we all know that there are other ways to go about getting talent. Krivsky has to make some deals and earn respect from the fans. Dusty Baker was a good start for the fairweather fan who does not know his history and may have heard his name a few times here and there. Dusty Baker will be a better manager than Narron or Miley or Boone without a doubt and that is a step in a good direction. The right direction? That hasn't been determined yet, that all depends on Baker's mindset going into the season.

Can we be happy that we are starting off on the right foot for the off-season though? And can we be excited about having a manager with a winning record? Again, that all depends on Baker and if he has the desire to learn from his past mistakes and see if his words during his press conference were that of a man and not a major league executive.

This season should be different because we have started off on the right foot. We have an owner with a burning desire to win. We have a manager with a burning desire to win. And we have a GM with a burning desire to keep his job. Add it all up and you have the right tools in place and the right words being spoken of a new direction already being established.

Expect nothing less, this off-season, than seeing many new faces and seeing deals being made at a much greater pace than any other losing effort. What we know as fans is that the money is there, the name-manager is here and can bring in talent, and our GM wants to make things happen.

This may mean we have to see a few of our beloved players go. But in return, we will have a player that will fit the team better and contribute to our success.

Anyone else having feelings toward this offseason? What kind of feelings? Do you feel like this is the same old thing we have heard many times over? Or are the words from our newest managerial staff meant to be taken as legit?

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Re: Anticipation

I don't expect a huge splash with the wallet persay even though BobC has said "the payroll will be significantly higher". Because frankly there isn't much out there for the taking. However that said I do expect at least one good arm for the back end of the pen, Francisco Cordero might be that guy. Also I would expect to deal for a top 3 of the rotation starter.

Just as an example:

Harang
    Bedard
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Belisle

Or Maybe

Harang
    D Willis
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Belise

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Bedard would be our ace hands down. I would spontaneously combust if we got either him or D-Train though. It would cost more than Bailey and Bruce to get Bedard though I think.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Bedard would be our ace hands down. I would spontaneously combust if we got either him or D-Train though. It would cost more than Bailey and Bruce to get Bedard though I think.
    Probably would want that, but I expect that there are forces at work which might make the O's wanna make a lesser deal. Namely a looming contract in the near future (after '09) for a guy who has had some injuries. I think it's quite Possible a package of say Votto, Cueto and maybe Janish might work. Question is should we deal that young talent? But the bigger question is, does the FO feel that way? I think they would probably offer it.

Of course if it were me I would offer Dunn for Bedard and a prospect. Or expand the deal to include Gonzo, Tejada and maybe Freel or a prospect or 2 instead.

Dunn
    for
    Bedard and a prospect

OR

Dunn, Gonzo, Freel and say Carlos Fisher or Travis Wood
    for
    Bedard and Tejada

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I hate to tell you but Dunn would never be enough for Bedard. 2 Dunn's would be close (maybe).

I expect Bedard to demand a whole lot more. 3 very highly rated prospects would do the trick. I would trade Votto, Hamilton, (God I would hate to deal him) and Fisher or Wood for him. But I just don't think that would be enough.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I hate to tell you but Dunn would never be enough for Bedard. 2 Dunn's would be close (maybe).

I expect Bedard to demand a whole lot more. 3 very highly rated prospects would do the trick. I would trade Votto, Hamilton, (God I would hate to deal him) and Fisher or Wood for him. But I just don't think that would be enough.
    Don't misunderstand me, I feel Bedard certainly has immense value and more than Dunn. However under these circumstances I disagree with that premise. I think the things I wrote above knock his value down some (the injuries mainly and the contract for a guy with a history of injuries) and the fact that the O's need a bigtime impact bat. Sure it's a bit of a reach but not as far fetched as most would think. I think both teams could come to terms to a deal that would revolve around these 2 players.

The biggest potential sticking point IMO would be getting Dunn to agree to being dealt to Baltimore. Because let's face it Baltimore has had similiar issues as the Reds over the past dozen or so yrs. And if having an option between one so-so at best team and another he would likely choose the one that he's been with unless that other team resided in Texas or close.

About the best deal I would be willing to offer with strictly young prospects would be Votto, Cueto and maybe Stubbs. Harang, Hamilton, Bailey, Bruce, BP and maybe EEE all too me are untouchable right now. Of course if say the Nats were offering a guy like Ryan Zimmerman I would quickly cough up EEE but other than that there aren't many other 3B I like any better than EEE.