Thread: It's Over! Offseason Time!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

It's Over! Offseason Time!

Notes from C Trent:

Now that the World Series is over, expect a couple of things in the next week or so...

Dusty Baker still has to make an announcement on the rest of his staff

Adam Dunn's option will likely be picked up in the next week. Perhaps an extension? The team also has options on c Javier Valentin ($1.3 mil), 1b Scott Hatteberg ($1.85 mil), and lhp Eddie Guardado ($3 mil).

The Cy Young voting will be announced, and while Aaron Harang won't win it, it will be interesting to see if he gets any votes (I'd bet that he will get at least one third-place vote).

Speaking of voting, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunn get an MVP vote or two (MVP voters have to vote for 10 players).

Will Brandon Phillips achieve the double of the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger? He should, but those are voted on by managers and coaches. And if you complain about BBWAA voting, go check out the track record of those guys.

And, I don't exactly see A-Rod as a Red. But man, can you imagine him in this park? Wow.
    I am excited to get the offseason underway. Lets watch and discuss as these things unfold. We have 5 weekdays in front of us and there is no reason to believe that some of this will get done this week.

Speaking of Dunn; has anyone considered a possible improvement at the plate for him? Because after the year he had this year, which was great but less than stellar, could we still admit that he has not reached his ceiling?

Dusty Baker is known as a hitters guru. Will he try and help Dunn out? Will we be hearing the same old thing from Dunn once more? "I am very excited to get out of bed and get to the field and learn from Dusty. He is helping a lot." I know Dusty is not the hitting coach, and Jacoby will still be with the team, but will Dusty mess with it?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: It's Over! Offseason Time!

Valentin's option has to be picked up I think. Unless we are definitely going to get a catcher this offseason. I think you have to make the decision already and just get it done before we lose him and have nobody to replace him.

Hatteberg? I hate to have the feeling that Dusty will over use him and neglect Votto. But I still love Hatteberg's bat and it would be awesome to have him as a lefty off the bench. But I am almost positive if Hatteberg is picked up, he will start. I vote NO here. And it sucks that if I am right on this, our new manager has already hurt this team. I vote no, but I expect Krivsky to get it done and allow Dusty to make the wrong decision. We will be blowing up in April about this one.

Guardado? That is just too much ($3 mil). They better not even think about it. I know he is a gamer, but you can't just hope he will come back strong. Let him go and look elsewhere. I expect them to do so as well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Step one on the to-do list is likely taken care of.

C Trent reports:

The Chicago Tribune is reporting Chris Speier will become the Reds bench coach, and Juan "Porky" Lopez as the bullpen coach. Expect that official announcement as soon as today.
    Anyone know anything about these guys?

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

I read on another site that the Rangers have interest in dealing for Hatteberg. So that's good news assuming we can get a good piece of the puzzle.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rangers want Hatteberg? Where did you see that?

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Rangers want Hatteberg? Where did you see that?
    Read it on another site I frequent from a pretty solid poster who read it somewhere else.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok cool man. With Jerry Narron likely becoming their 3Bcoach, I bet he still has love for Hatteberg and could put in a good word. I wonder what we could get from them. I wouldnt expect a whole lot. Then again, Hatteberg is still really cheap.