Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker named Reds manager

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Dusty Baker named Reds manager

Just heard it from Ken Rosenthal during the ALDS.

Dammit! Time to start loving him I guess.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Dusty Baker named Reds manager

Wow, that sucks for your pitching staff.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA

He could be a very good manager for the Reds. I wouldn't be too upset about this if I were a Reds' fan.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

catman, that is because you are a Twins fans. haha... I would not want him to be the manager of the Brewers. He sticks with veterans and destroys pitching staffs. At least that has been his history up to this point.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48 View Post
    Wow, that sucks for your pitching staff.
    In that ballpark, no manager will be able to help the pitching too much. They just have to hope for a decent showing from the staff after Harang.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    catman, that is because you are a Twins fans. haha... I would not want him to be the manager of the Brewers. He sticks with veterans and destroys pitching staffs. At least that has been his history up to this point.
    You have a point, but the Reds have some very good veterans and their pitching is not going to win them anything. Dusty could be a pretty good hitters' manager.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    whats the difference? outside of harang, there arent any pitchers really above average on that roster. (arroyo had an ERA+of 112 surprisingly this year, but still he was streaky)
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Seriously the only reason why I still have hope for this team is because we have a very nice young talent base. Dusty may be here to ruin it though. If we thought Narron and Miley were bad with their veteran love, just wait until Dusty gets ahold of this team.

Castro will start at SS a lot, Hatteberg will be our starting 1B. Dunn's option will not be picked up. Griffey back to CF and plays everyday. Bailey, Votto, Bruce, Cueto all stay in AAA next season. Hamilton, EdE, and Phillips will be traded for vets.

Yipee!

MLB ERA

Please trade Harang and Bailey to San Diego before he ruins their careers.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

C you there
    MLB ERA

why didn't we pick up someone else

C you there
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Please trade Harang and Bailey to San Diego before he ruins their careers.
    **** OFF

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

rest in peace homer... should be fun watching you throw 350 innings next year and then having your arm fall off on the mound. your offense should be mindblowingly hilarious next year too...

MLB ERA

I dont know what too say guys, in defense of Baker in SF, he used Veterans in 02 durring our NL run because we wanted to win a WS, so thats probably why he did it there, but in all honesty I dont recall Baker to be known as a manager who plays veterans only.

Prior and Wood were/are injury prone, and he got the blame for that, and I dont know if he played allot Veterans in Chicago.

But who knows? Maybe he has learned from his mistake if he has made any? I really hope he turns your franchise around, I really like the Reds, there young team.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Dusty Baker named Reds manager

Baker does seem like a good guy, and he is considered to be a player's manager. Maybe now that he's had a couple of jobs, he will learn from his mistakes. Also, he now has media experience and that could help cause he has done critiquing from that side now too. Who knows.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    I dont know what too say guys, in defense of Baker in SF, he used Veterans in 02 durring our NL run because we wanted to win a WS, so thats probably why he did it there, but in all honesty I dont recall Baker to be known as a manager who plays veterans only.

Prior and Wood were/are injury prone, and he got the blame for that, and I dont know if he played allot Veterans in Chicago.

But who knows? Maybe he has learned from his mistake if he has made any? I really hope he turns your franchise around, I really like the Reds, there young team.
    Listen, as a Cubs fan and a guy who liked Baker as a person. He is a class act, and the players will like him as a person. He is not that great of a manager. As for Wood and Prior. I've seen stats on 2003. There was a formula of abuse pitches or w/e, and Prior was number 1 and Wood was in the top 5.

They had minor injuries the following year. I don't know if you remember but people were predicting a MONSTER year and possibly a Cy Young for Wood in 2004. In Sping Training he was ridiculous. Dusty had Wood throwing 110+ pitch games in April. Woods arm fell off by May.

If anyone doesn't think Dusty plays vets over good young talent, well they are just crazy. Don't be surprised if Dusty brings Neifi Perez to the Reds. He likes his roiders.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast