Thread: In Pete Mack We Trust?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

In Pete Mack We Trust?

Call me crazy, but I really dig him and at this point, I want him as the head coach come next year. Of course us having the best NL Central record since early July factors into this, but amazingly he seems to be much of what Krivsky built him up to be. A very smart guy, with a good feel for both the game (as a whole and individual games) and for the players (something we have lacked sorely.) Not to mention he has a great sense of wit to him and seems to be a charismatic individual. I've mentioned this before, like many have, but with the Reds lacking a true leader type it needs to come from somewhere and he seems to be taking on the charge. There was a culture of losing established with so many past managers, not that they didn't want to win but that they weren't going to get fired up from a loss like they should. Narron was a buddy to the players and no doubt a good guy, but it seems like losses were taking in the sense of "Aw shucks, we'll get them next time." Mackanin approaches this team with a bit of passion and you can the players are feeling it, we hardly ever go down anymore without a fight and even the bullpen is stepping it up (he went with Eddie G in a ballsy move considering how he has looked this year in a big situation and you could tell that Guardado's confidence skyrocketed when he did his job.)

I am not suggesting that the Reds should offer him a contract right away, a manger search should be conducted, but I would have no problem going with Mackanin (especially in light of some of the rumored candidates.)

And we all know about the first stint swoon with a new coach, but Mackanin actually has the personality of a dynamic coach and the players are playing with this sense of reckless abandoned and it has become more clear with each series we play (unlike the usual great start with a new manager that cools off after the novelty with the players wear off.)

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Re: In Pete Mack We Trust?

I am impressed with him so far. I won't be upset if we retain him.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

MLB ERA

We've seen this before with Narron and Miley. Team plays well 2nd half of seasons, get "interim" tags removed to see team belly flop. I wouldn't mind if he's retain if he is the "Best guy available" but I wouldn't just give it to him.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

But there are differences. Look beyond the big picture at the way we're playing, not just the end result. We're playing with more passion than we did on Opening Day and that is no lie.

I ripped on Krivsky quite a bit right after Mackanin was given the job after he talked about him being a super coach (combo, of McGraw-Anderson- and someone else) but he is the most charismatic coach we have had in years and we have been in desperate need of that. Like I said, I am not proposing to give it to him outright, but the dude is really impressing me and I'd take him over the likes of Brenly or LaRussa for certain.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

This IMO is not the same as when Narron took over. This team has had talent all year yet they played with ZERO passion and Narron was not nor has he ever been a strong motivator. He was just the players friend. They way the team is playing now, is how they should have been playing all year. The show fire and passion and they still feel like they can win the division. If we had fired Narron about 2 mths prior who knows we could be right there. i would have no problem if they retained Pete but in the meantime keep looking just in case this is a fluk rather than the norm. This team has the talent to win this division next year, and if we shore up the pen and add another starter we will contend next year not only for the division but for the NL crown.

I Love Phillips, Hamilton, Keppenger. Add Votto and keep Dunn and maybe even Griffey, then all we need is a catcher and we will be a force to be reckoned with

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

27-19: Best in the NL since July 3rd (Mack's 1st game)
    Currently 4 in a row and 7 of last 10.

The best of the rest
    Arizona 26-19
    NYM 26-20
    Colorado 25-20
    Philly 24-20

The Central:
    Chicago 25-21
    St. Louis 21-18
    Milwaukee 17-29

July 2nd: 31-51 (20 games under & 17 GB of 1st place)

August 25th: 58-70 (12 games under and 8.5 GB of 1st place)

And with improved play all around the diamond. And all this with a major rash of injuries which we didn't have the 1st half of the season. Which begs another question. What if Freel, Gonzo, Ross and the like were more of a hinderance than a help? I mean where the outs/mistakes they were making consistently defusing our momentum? Could it be that when these guys get consistent AB's again (sans Freel of course) it will harm our overall production, causing us to slip back out of the race?

I definitely think Pete has had something to do with the turnaround he has made mostly good decisions (he hasn't been overworking Harang and Arroyo lately either) and I like his desire to win and make responsible decisions regardless of peoples feelings. But could it be he just was brought in at the right time, a little good luck?

We will see how all this plays out, but overall I like Pete and have from the beginning with the exception of him overworking Harang and Arroyo there on a couple of occassions.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA

I agree with mission for the most part here.

I liked him at first, got a bit annoyed after a couple moves he made, but have liked most of what he's done lately.

He seems to make changes when something doesn't work, which Narron wouldn't do.

He also seems to know more in regards to how to handle each game. He makes gutsy calls. He isn't afraid to try something different or upset any of the players if they don't follow instructions or play hard.

I also notice he seems to be writing things down more in the dugout during the game than Narron did and really seems to be thinking ahead in terms of what move to make that game with future games in mind. You can almost see him studying each situation, where with Narron it seemed he waited for either a massive implosion or tried to make pitchers go past a pitch count they should have and then just shuttled relivers in and out with lefty-righty matchups ALWAYS being used, regardless of whether a pitcher had pitched too much or too little recently, etc.

Maybe his advance scouting wasn't bad and the team simply didn't enact most of the advice he gave or didn't know HOW to properly with Narron at the helm?

I'm not sure I'd hand him the job, but I'd make him a big part of the search and strongly consider him at this point (unless Davey Johnson comes swooping in, which I'm not sure he will).

However, I would give him a one-year deal only and then evaluate him after next year. I wouldn't be upset if he got dumped if we started poorly next year but I'm thinking he deserves a chance because he has impressed me for the most part.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

C you there
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    27-19: Best in the NL since July 3rd (Mack's 1st game)
    Currently 4 in a row and 7 of last 10.

The best of the rest
    Arizona 26-19
    NYM 26-20
    Colorado 25-20
    Philly 24-20

The Central:
    Chicago 25-21
    St. Louis 21-18
    Milwaukee 17-29

July 2nd: 31-51 (20 games under & 17 GB of 1st place)

August 25th: 58-70 (12 games under and 8.5 GB of 1st place)

And with improved play all around the diamond. And all this with a major rash of injuries which we didn't have the 1st half of the season. Which begs another question. What if Freel, Gonzo, Ross and the like were more of a hinderance than a help? I mean where the outs/mistakes they were making consistently defusing our momentum? Could it be that when these guys get consistent AB's again (sans Freel of course) it will harm our overall production, causing us to slip back out of the race?

I definitely think Pete has had something to do with the turnaround he has made mostly good decisions (he hasn't been overworking Harang and Arroyo lately either) and I like his desire to win and make responsible decisions regardless of peoples feelings. But could it be he just was brought in at the right time, a little good luck?

We will see how all this plays out, but overall I like Pete and have from the beginning with the exception of him overworking Harang and Arroyo there on a couple of occassions.
    well said

man I love this guy, I hope he don't belly flop and this is his only good stint as manager but I want him for next year, especially if he keeps up the good work

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Here's where we really find out what Pete's got. Just got swept by the Cards and lost 2 of 4 to the piRATeS for a record of 2-5 for the road trip. How this team plays out the rest of this season should say alot about Mackanin and how they respond to him now that a majority of them feel it's "over".

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Here's where we really find out what Pete's got. Just got swept by the Cards and lost 2 of 4 to the piRATeS for a record of 2-5 for the road trip. How this team plays out the rest of this season should say alot about Mackanin and how they respond to him now that a majority of them feel it's "over".
    Well he didn't get quite a fair shake overmatched and undermanned but I still felt he did enough to retain the job. I am going to hate watching Dusty's in game decisions next year. And his post game interviews where he will no doubt give us a ton of cliche's to cover up his veteran's ineptitude and excuses as to why he refuses to use someone who might actually be better just cause they are younger.

Good luck Pete you got what you deserved afterall........out of this debacle.