Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dusty Baker named Reds manager

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dusty Baker named Reds manager

Baker did say that Bonds with the Reds seems to be out of the question with Dunn in LF and Griffey in RF, with Barry being an American League player at this point in his career.

Did we just dodge a bullet?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It all sounds wonderful, but how will they get anyone worth getting especially to pitch? They would have to trade IMO and that means parting with youth.
    I have no problem if they have to trade some youth if they make the RIGHT moves. That's the issue though. Can Krivsky do it?

And I do think they can add some free agents that will be better than the below replacement level players they have. If they get enough of those, the team could be better.

It's not perhaps the best approach unless Castellini plans on KEEPING our payroll high and letting us keep these players more than one year or so, but maybe they are finally ending their cheap ways?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Is it just me or does Baker seem like a winaholic? I think he can't make it a day without his winahol.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Whether it was lip service or not, he did also state that he is looking forward to teaching and maturing young players and working with a mix like the Reds have.

I thought the Dunn answer to Willie was interesting, I couldn't tell if he is just keeping his mouth shut or if they are seriously considering not bringing him back. If that's the case, kill me now.

Castellini's comments and Baker's emphasis on how he can bring players here makes it seem like a spending frenzy might happen is quite interesting. Did you hear how Castellini reacted to the Bonds question?
    I know everyone thinks he hates young players based on some of his past decisions, but I really don't think Castellini and Krivsky will let him totally disregard all the young players.

Now, maybe they will trade a couple of them, which is only good if they get QUALITY in return, but I don't think they are just going to bench Votto for some vet or ignore Bruce or sit Hamilton or anything like that.

I have a feeling they will at least pick up Dunn's option, but we'll see...

And I did hear Castellini on Bonds, but I'm not sure if that means anything. I would doubt him being one of the names they will target.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Is it just me or does Baker seem like a winaholic? I think he can't make it a day without his winahol.
    He definitely seems confident in his abilities to manage. That can be good or bad depending, but he sure inspires more confidence than most of the guys since Lou (excluding Davey Johnson and perhaps McKeon).

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    I have no problem if they have to trade some youth if they make the RIGHT moves. That's the issue though. Can Krivsky do it?

And I do think they can add some free agents that will be better than the below replacement level players they have. If they get enough of those, the team could be better.

It's not perhaps the best approach unless Castellini plans on KEEPING our payroll high and letting us keep these players more than one year or so, but maybe they are finally ending their cheap ways?
    I don't have a problem with it either if they trade the right young players for the right veterans. I am just a bit skeptical that can and will happen. For instance don't go trading away Jay Bruce for good pitching just because you have Griffey in right currently and he is blocked. Griffey is done IMO, he is no longer viable other than a complimentary player and not a great one at that.

Also they need to hold onto Hamilton, BP and EE unless someone big becomes available, I.E. Johan Santana, Roy Halladay, Joe Nathan or the like.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA

The one thing that makes you more confident they can get those quality pitchers is Dusty's reputation among many players. He alone might be able to bring them in. First time we could say that since Lou.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

The one thing that makes you more confident they can get those quality pitchers is Dusty's reputation among many players. He alone might be able to bring them in. First time we could say that since Lou.
    That may very well be true but unfortunately that is likely only help with FA's and there are not many worth bringing in. Unless by significant BC meant A-Rod and Mariano Rivera.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA

Some of those FA might not be GREAT, but several of them combined could lead to several more wins. Mix them with some of our youngsters and perhaps a shrewd trade or two and we could be in business, particularly in the NL Central.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Some of those FA might not be GREAT, but several of them combined could lead to several more wins. Mix them with some of our youngsters and perhaps a shrewd trade or two and we could be in business, particularly in the NL Central.
    I just bumped the FA's to be post so I could double check the pitching available. It's not good, maybe a Francisco Cordero or Mariano Rivera, Koji Uehara but other than that the best we have to look at is a guy like Scott Linebrink or Kyle Lohse who although had a decent year is likely to have just had the best season he ever will again. ANd the the 1st three guys I mentioned are somewhat unlikely.

So I implore you to show me a FA that will help beyond that. I am not seeing it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234