Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Dusty Baker named Reds manager

thanks, I appreciate it.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Truthfully, I have never read much about the announcement.... outside of here, none actually. But 11-12 million a year? Are you shitting me? Part of my guarantee above was from the usual thought process related to our manager making the lowest of the league (or bottom 5). And we have have been wooing him for weeks?

Likely the result of this cash investment will be Dunn's option not being picked up and Jason Ellison being re-signed to play LF (assuming we spend like we usually do.)
    Most likely, Dusty Baker doesn't know something you don't. He did not agree to a three-year deal believed to be worth between $11 million and $12 million to manage in Cincinnati because he thinks the Reds are ready to win now.

No, Baker has a burning desire to manage again, to not let his career end on that 66-96 downer he and last year's Cubs produced, and the simple fact is that after sitting out a year, there really aren't any ready-made situations whereby a skipper can move in and win immediately.

Cincinnati owner Bob Castellini has been wooing Baker for weeks. The Reds remain far from perfect, what with a dearth of pitching, the Ken Griffey Jr. problem (he's an older, injury-prone player past his prime that they really can't shed) and a middle-of-the-order slugger in Adam Dunn who strikes out way too often and is a defensive liability.

Baker, of course, has plenty of experience in managing superstars in various stages of decline -- Barry Bonds in San Francisco, Sammy Sosa with the Cubs -- and knows the National League extremely well. The players still love him, he still has that energy at 58, and one of the hard truths in the game is that the longer you stay away, the easier it is for clubs to forget about you.

Baker did not want to be forgotten, so he surveyed the landscape and made the best of it.

Seattle would have been a a solid fit, but the Mariners made interim John McLaren their full-time skipper.

There still might be an opening with the Yankees that could come as early as this week, but if Joe Torre is axed, Steinbrenner family favorite Don Mattingly, currently Torre's bench coach, is expected to get that job. Or perhaps former Marlins manager and current Yankees broadcaster Joe Girardi.

The St. Louis situation could be fluid depending on Tony La Russa's decision, but hiring a manager who flamed out with the hated Cubs would be a hard sell in that town.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Truthfully, I have never read much about the announcement.... outside of here, none actually. But 11-12 million a year? Are you shitting me? Part of my guarantee above was from the usual thought process related to our manager making the lowest of the league (or bottom 5). And we have have been wooing him for weeks?

Likely the result of this cash investment will be Dunn's option not being picked up and Jason Ellison being re-signed to play LF (assuming we spend like we usually do.)
    Perhaps my math is off MH but that equates to about 3.5 - 4 mill per yr.

BTW I will go on record vs. the move. What does it say when Castellini (the owner) is the one chasing him and not the GM? Perhaps nothing, perhaps something. Why the big name? Is it supposed to convey to everyone that we are ready to play for the playoffs? If that is so how many young guys will be dealt for veterans, or simply not used enough to excel? Will Hatteberg start, will Votto be dealt? Lots of questions for Fay, Rosecrans, Daugherty and the like to ask come the press conference (Monday at noon?) and hopefully we can get some straight answers.

Fact is I wanna win but dealing Jay Bruce, Cueto and Drew Stubbs for um, say Dontrelle Willis isn't gonna gaurantee a playoff spot but it will gaurantee a dim future. I think you can win now (and with youth) and build your future at the same time, I just hope the FO doesn't lose sight of that.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't know why I typed that as I wasn't thinking that (but the whole contract, not per year), but it was definitely a reactionary type of post.

I can deal without Votto or even Cueto, but let's hope to God that Bruce will not be dealt. I don't care about the return, Jay Bruce is the real deal and has the potential to be the cornerstone for this franchise much more so than any other player.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I am sure you told yourself Bowden would of been long gone by now. But in tough situations like this, you build a house of lies and crawl inside, thereby escaping the world of reality.

The common Reds fan and Cincinnati media will eat up Baker; his vet love, old school approach, and turning Bailey from a man-child to a man to a man with an arm diced from here to Sunday.... it's going to be a bumpy ride.
    Nah, I knew Bowden was going to get a few years thanks to the fact we were waiting for the new stadium. Unless he suddenly turns around the team this year to be more than a collection of cast-offs and rooks, he's done and won't get to enjoy the luxuries of the new stadium.

I can't wait to see Baker give Votto 150 ABs and Hatteberg 500

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

An .868 OPS, I can deal.

How's Nook Logan working out?

MLB ERA

Yeah, that .868's gonna hold when he's getting 150+ ABs against lefties just because "he plays the game the right way."

As for Nook Logan, I dunno. I hope he's dead.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It'll go down, but Cantu surely plays the game better than Votto and will get time at 1st versus lefties.

And thank god for C Trent, if any of the press was going to question Dusty about his history with Prior/Wood, I knew it would be him.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Yeah, I liked the fact that Rosecrans stepped it up. And to Dusty's credit it was a solid response. "If you wanna look at my history look at my entire history not just one season". However no one else asked anything very groundbreaking. But Dusty did say that he yearned for having a ballclub with both veterans and young guys and that now he has it.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA

I was on the fence about the move to start and after what I'm hearing now, I'm leaning toward slightly positive.

Castellini just said on Willie's show on WLW that next year's payroll will be "significantly higher" than this year's.

Sounds like a spending frenzy is finally on its way. I just hope Krivsky can make the right moves.

Also, Castellini said in the news conference that he wants Dunn back.

And Dusty made it sound as though he's contacted some players who he knows want to play for the Reds.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    I was on the fence about the move to start and after what I'm hearing now, I'm leaning toward slightly positive.

Castellini just said on Willie's show on WLW that next year's payroll will be "significantly higher" than this year's.

Sounds like a spending frenzy is finally on its way. I just hope Krivsky can make the right moves.

And Dusty made it sound as though he's contacted some players who he knows want to play for the Reds.
    It all sounds wonderful, but how will they get anyone worth getting especially to pitch? They would have to trade IMO and that means parting with youth.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yeah, I liked the fact that Rosecrans stepped it up. And to Dusty's credit it was a solid response. "If you wanna look at my history look at my entire history not just one season". However no one else asked anything very groundbreaking. But Dusty did say that he yearned for having a ballclub with both veterans and young guys and that now he has it.
    Whether it was lip service or not, he did also state that he is looking forward to teaching and maturing young players and working with a mix like the Reds have.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post

I thought the Dunn answer to Willie was interesting, I couldn't tell if he is just keeping his mouth shut or if they are seriously considering not bringing him back. If that's the case, kill me now.

Castellini's comments and Baker's emphasis on how he can bring players here makes it seem like a spending frenzy might happen is quite interesting. Did you hear how Castellini reacted to the Bonds question?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Baker is on 700WLW.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Baker said he has the authority to bring in his own coaches, but he has intentions to keep some of the coaches already here.

BTW, Castellini commented on him liking Mackannin to remain as a coach or in the organization.

MLB ERA

Dusty on with Cunningham now.

Says he liked what Castellini was telling him. Heard good things about Cincy.

Says needs to have good contracts---make the right moves to sign long-term contracts.

Says he can pick his own coaches but will keep some of them--- need some continuity.

Says have to get certain pitchers that aren't intimidated by having to pitch in GABP.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast