Thread: Freel on Jimenez: "I don't have anything good to say about the guy"

MLB ERA

Freel on Jimenez: "I don't have anything good to say about the guy"

Casey's injured shoulder improving

By Doug Harris

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | First baseman Sean Casey sat out his second straight game with a bruised rotator cuff in his left shoulder, and the Reds don't plan to rush his recovery.

Casey's arm was in a sling the day after taking an awkward fall while trying to field an infield single against Washington on Tuesday.

He did a few stretches Thursday, but nothing more.

"Sean wasn't as sore," Reds trainer Mark Mann said. "His range of motion has increased quite a bit. Hae's improved significantly over the last two days."

Casey, who is hitting .312, may take some experimental swings before today's 7:10 p.m. game against the Pirates. But he had arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder in 2002, and the Reds will be careful not to push him.

"With his history of shoulder problems, you have to make sure," Mann said.

The news is better for disabled-list inhabitants Rich Aurilia (strained hamstring) and Wily Mo Pena (strained quad). Both ran the bases at 85 to 90 percent before the game without any mishaps.

Pena, who hasn't played since going on the 15-day DL on May 9, also took batting practice and unleashed his usual assault on the upper-deck bleachers.

"Hitting's not a problem, that's for sure," Mann said. "It's just about him being able to regain his speed and break on balls in the outfield."

Dunn teased

The Reds' Adam Dunn hasn't produced a sacrifice fly since July 2003, and he's taking endless ribbing from his teammates.

When catcher Javier Valentin gave the left fielder grief, Dunn shot back, "How many home runs do you have?"

The answer: none.

Ken Griffey Jr. volunteered that the team expects Valentin to reach the seats before Dunn produces a run with a fly, sending the burly Texan into a huff.

"No chance," Dunn said. "I can hit one whenever I want. I'm just waiting to get to the 1,000-AB mark before I do it."

Dunn had gone 966 straight at-bats without a sac fly going into Thursday's game but had tagged 61 homers in that span.

Jimenez headed down

The Reds announced that D'Angelo Jimenez has accepted an outright assignment to Class AA Chattanooga, where he will play shortstop.

At least one player wasn't sorry to see him go.

"I don't have anything good to say about the guy," Reds utilityman Ryan Freel told The Sporting News radio. "He is a cancer. ... He is not liked in any part of baseball."

Randa limping

Third-baseman Joe Randa is nursing a sore left foot, and he doesn't quite know how he did it.

He's been in pain since Friday and figures he must have tweaked something while legging out a double. He's only been available to pinch-hit the last two days, and he's getting antsy.

"This is a very crucial time for our ballclub, these next two weeks," said Randa, who is hitting .283. "I want to get out there as soon as I can."

Harang on shelf

The Reds will decide today when pitcher Aaron Harang (3-2, 3.32 ERA) will make his next start. The right-hander was scratched Wednesday after catching the flu. "His stomach is really bothering him," Reds manager Dave Miley said. "That really drained him."

Sparky to be honored

The Reds will retire Sparky Anderson's uniform No. 10 in pre-game ceremonies Saturday, and the guest list includes three of the other seven men who have had their numbers pulled from circulation: Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Tony Perez.

The managerial great led Cincinnati to four World Series appearances and two titles in his nine seasons.

Contact Doug Harris at 225-2125.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I really hope Harang does not get in a funk because of this. I still hope Casey, Pena, and Randa are all back very soon. Aurilia better get released as soon has he is off the DL. And awesome words from Freel. We all knew there was bad blood there.

I like Ryan Freel as a player more than DJ, but Ryan needs to keep his mouth shut.

Isn't it time for him to go to a bar anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    I like Ryan Freel as a player more than DJ, but Ryan needs to keep his mouth shut.

Isn't it time for him to go to a bar anyways?
    agreed, this isn't the time for ryan freel to start bad mouthing guys. being a drunk driver is a lot worse than being a jerk in the clubhouse.

Why are the reds all getting hurt right now?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Nobody in that clubhouse liked Jimenez, and a few players have stated that. Including Sean Casey.

sure, but sean casey is an acknowledged clubhouse leader, and a very respectable dude in most ways. Ryan freel shouls be concentrating on staying out of jail for a while, rather than talking trash to the media about the guy whose job he just took. It just doesn't look very good.
    Reds MVP Race

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    "I don't have anything good to say about the guy," Reds utilityman Ryan Freel told The Sporting News radio. "He is a cancer. ... He is not liked in any part of baseball."
    I wouldn't put any stock in what someone who gets arrested for DUI has to say

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This definitely has to do with DJ and Freel's past. The guys have not got along and we all know this. I bet Freel was asked about the situation and he simply answered the question. I know he did not answer it the way he would have liked to either, he could have said much worse and still would have been accurate. But he chose to try and be professional about it and just show that he never liked DJ. I don't see anything wrong with that.

He wasn't be proffesional when he called the man a cancer.Coming from a man who just got arrested for DUI he shouldn't have said squat.

calling him a cancer is a little bit more than just saying that he didn't like him. If freel had just said that he and d'angelo had never gotten along, i wouldn't think anything of it. Like what casey said. he said that he was always nice to d'angelo, but never got much back, and that was it. no problem. But to call a guy a clubhouse cancer while you still have to do community service, eh, i guess it just doesn't sit that well with me. But i'm biased in that i have a big problem with drunk driving.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    When referring to on-field performance, I think Freel has EVERY right to say what he said. His performance has been superior to Jimenez', as I thought it would be prior to the season beginning.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.