Thread: Reds Notes: Marc Katz is clueless ;)

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Marc Katz is clueless ;)

Illness, injury hit Cincinnati when it's already down, out

By Marc Katz

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | With the Reds desperately trying to stay out of last place in the National League Central, the last thing they needed Wednesday was bad news.

First, scheduled starter Aaron Harang was scratched because of flu-like symptoms. That led to manager Dave Miley choosing Matt Belisle — Miley said he really didn't have any other choices — who turned in six quality innings as the Reds beat Washington, 12-3.

The other bad news isn't so good, either.

Pitcher Paul Wilson, expected to be the staff's ace this season, was put on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 17, with tendinitis in his right (pitching) shoulder.

Other news

• It will take a while longer for right-hander Josh Hancock to make it back. He strained his groin the last week of spring training, and on Wednesday was moved to the 60-day disabled list.

• Outfielder Jason Romano was recalled from Class AAA Louisville to take Wilson's spot on the roster.

• Jacob Cruz, the last man standing from an Opening Day roster who had not played in the field, finally did. He was in left and was 0-for-4 before a ground-rule double knocked in two runs in the eighth inning.

Prior to the game, Cruz had pinch hit only — in 27 games.

• Despite going just 1-for-5 against the Nationals, rookie second baseman and former Dayton Dragon William Bergolla knocked in his first run and with a little luck would have had more hits. He hit the ball hard to outfielders his first two times up, and second baseman Jamey Carroll ran deep into right field to make an over-the-shoulder catch of a Bergolla fly in the fifth.

Bergolla also participated in two double plays.

He did not get the ball from his first RBI.

"I got the ball from my first hit," he said.

• Tony Blanco is playing for the Nationals now. He joined the Reds organization along with right-handed pitcher Josh Thigpen from Boston in December 2002, for second baseman Todd Walker. Both Blanco and Thigpen had never played above Class A before that.

Thigpen was assigned to the Dayton Dragons and has been with them ever since, except when he was on the disabled list last year and the beginning of this year following shoulder surgery. Blanco might have been with the Dragons, but beat out "sandwich" first-round draft pick Mark Schramek for the high A Potomac Cannons in 2003, while

Schramek played for the Dragons.

Blanco was still with Potomac last year before being promoted to Class AA Chattanooga. He was taken by the Nationals and former Reds GM Jim Bowden in the Rule 5 draft and made the Nationals this spring. He also hit a homer against the Reds on Monday.

Bowden is the one who traded for Blanco in the first place.

• Relief pitcher Todd Coffey, also a former Dragon, pitched two innings Tuesday night and closed out the ninth Wednesday, retiring three straight after Brendan Harris led the inning with a double.

"I'm a reliever," Coffey said. "I'm up every day."

Contact Marc Katz at 937-225-2157.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I think this guy gathered these notes in about 5 minutes.

Time to pick this guy apart:

"With the Reds desperately trying to stay out of last place in the National League Central, the last thing they needed Wednesday was bad news".

Sure they are only a couple of games out of last, but they are also only a few games out of 3rd. This comment would have made way more sense if it was made before this series, because the team's "tone" would have been different. This just seemed out of place.
    .................................................. ..................

"The other bad news isn't so good, either".

Ya think Marc?
    .................................................. .....................

"Pitcher Paul Wilson, expected to be the staff's ace this season, was put on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 17, with tendinitis in his right (pitching) shoulder".

How is him going on the DL "bad news" right now? He was pitching poorly and he needs to get healthy. I don't consider it bad news right now.
    .................................................. ................................

Prior to the game, Cruz had pinch hit only — in 27 games.

(That one is just AWFUL syntax)
    .................................................. ................................

Bergolla also participated in two double plays.

He did not get the ball from his first RBI.

"I got the ball from my first hit," he said.

(Bergolla probably wanted to knock him out after he asked that question )
    .................................................. .................................................. .............
    • Tony Blanco is playing for the Nationals now. He joined the Reds organization along with right-handed pitcher Josh Thigpen from Boston in December 2002, for second baseman Todd Walker. Both Blanco and Thigpen had never played above Class A before that.
    (Again, awful syntax)
    .................................................. .................................................. .

• Relief pitcher Todd Coffey, also a former Dragon, pitched two innings Tuesday night and closed out the ninth Wednesday, retiring three straight after Brendan Harris led the inning with a double.

"I'm a reliever," Coffey said. "I'm up every day."

(LOL. Does ANY of that go together at all? It seems like he wrote something and asked something else. I know he was trying to quote Coffey on pitching yesterday AND today, but that quote doesn't seem to fit here at all)

Seeing this guy really makes one miss Hal.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'll take Hal and the slight errors that his editor doesnt find over this guy anyday. And talk about a bland style. Sure Hal and his satiric and or sarcastic tone can be a bit too much sometimes but at least he can make boring topics somewhat interesting to read.

MLB ERA
    Exactly.

This guy just sounds like he'd be as goofy in person as he sounds in the paper. He just doesn't sound very professional and his sentence structure/flow is awful.

AAA ERA
    this is just absolute classic too me.. I should put it in my sig

The other bad news isn't so good, either.

So is he going to be writing instead of Hal?

That is the worst article I have ever read. But he is right about Bergolla hitting the ball well, just hitting it at the wrong places.

MLB ERA
    He was just filling in, thankfully.