Thread: Mackanin vs Reds future; Free agents vs draft picks

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Mackanin vs Reds future; Free agents vs draft picks

As yourselves, what is more important? Having Pete Mackanin put up a good record with this team, or seeing the young guys up with the big club and getting experience?

Whats better? Winning like crazy the next few months and showing free agents we are a team that just needs a few upgrades and we will be a contender, or losing as many games as possible to get the first overall draft pick?

Do you guys think these are questions looming the front office? I bet they are and it seems as if they have taken the wrong route on both. I like Mackanin a bit, I can't deny that. But I don't like him enough to try and save his managerial career on account of spoiling many players the opportunity to stink it up for the last few months of the season and gaining needed experience. I choose the future.

And the constant feelings that this team needs to keep winning ball games, sets us up for less results as well. Whats the point right now? Now is the time to experiment like crazy. Attemp a bunt with the pitcher every at bat. Even with nobody on. Who cares? Make those guys learn the things that come so difficult. We should really care less about this year's free agents for two reasons. We will not get a big name. And there are very few big names out there. Not to mention the chance of those big names re-signing with their current teams. I choose draft picks.

MLB ERA

Re: Mackanin vs Reds future; Free agents vs draft picks

Definitely the younger players getting experience route. Though I'm not sure Castellini and Krivsky get it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

The ironic thing too me is that I think the younger players would make us better than we currently are. I know it's not typical persay but just my gut feeling.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The ironic thing too me is that I think the younger players would make us better than we currently are. I know it's not typical persay but just my gut feeling.
    i can't say that we will be better, but i think it would be the best thing so that they can get their growing pains out right now when the season is over instead of starting off next season..

although the whole point is pretty much moot since sept 1 call ups.. they will be here.. i just really wish they could have been called up so we could get 2 months with them instead of 1